Death Stranding went from GOTY darling to being Trashed on by Gamers now.

I love Kojima.
Metal gear solid 2 and 3 were games I enjoyed a lot . Specialy the 3rd. (Snake Eater)
MGS3, was one of the first games, if not the first, that I bought the day it came out!! Loved it!
Tho, I didn't enjoyed MGSV that much to be honest. Too morbid to my likings. whatever.
With Death Stranding, I'm happy he is able to make a game freely by himself. Without Konami's intervention.

I don't see myself buying that game tho.
I don't want to invest that many hours on that game.
However, i'm eager to see the game movie on Youtube! Really looking forward to that.
Wish nothing but the best to Kojima san. A big artist and visionary as is Yu Suzuki.
I hope his game is a big success. that makes him able to continue creating as long as he wants.

(...)It was fun to dick around in, but the world itself was so copy/paste Ubisoft check list boring. Not to mention the countless other problems with that game. (Should of left it at MGS3)

Corrected ;)

My quick two cents not really aimed at anyone in particular: I did bring up somewhat similar grievances about a week ago saying it felt a bit hypocritical for Shenmue fans to throw similar disrespect at Kojima as some trolls give Suzuki. Ridiculous claims of Suzuki's influence being questioned and portfolio overrated. Same as haters shouting how much Shenmue sucks or Shenmue 3 will flop. Feels like the same attitudes are here against Hideo. Throwing stones in glass houses?

Death Stranding sounds and looks interesting still, I'll probably play at my liesure in a year or two just as I've done since MGS4 (because--again--it was goddamn trilogy and nothing was truly necessary after Snake Eater; Peace Walker was good, but seems sort of like lightning in a bottle inspiration from Kojima and his team /rant.)

Point being, we are patient with Shenmue and accept it isn't for everyone while simultaneously wishing it'd be given open minded, fair critique. For a visionary designers like Kojima/Suzuki/Nogoshi, there must be patience and withheld judgement until being played for yourself. No pun intended there. Shit, for any game, or anything whatsoever in life, you shouldn't pass harsh criticism until experiencing personally, or else you're a fool, no? Sure, if on the surface you superficially get an underwhelming vibe, by all means don't play. Yet, there's no need to bash the game or director before even releasing.

Last edited:
At first I was hyped with DS, those weird videos, the atmosphere, the unknown story, music, but, at this moment, my hype´s gone. The main problem to me is when marketing tell to you that this videogame is fresh, revolutionary, but after a long time you don´t see anything of that. In addition, all of adoration round Kojima...
My thoughts:
If this game was a kickstarter, I can´t imagine the amounth of people asking for refund at this moment.
Sony is conscious about all the negative critics. After Gamescom there is a lot of articles saying good things of the game that look like been written by
Sony.
If money was better distributed, true master like Yu Suzuki hadn´t to look for money through Kickstarter. A little less money for Kojima and a little more of support to Suzuki from Sony would be more fair to me.
Thank you so much for writing in English what I'm trying to say the last two weeks

Both Yakuza 3 AND Judge Eyes, had plots that were based in real-life and had a ton of political connotations.

As well, when the three real Yakuza played 3, they all said that the plot was eerily similar to a recent even that had just taken place in Japan.

Just wanted to expand on the Yakuza 6 political dealings as well :)

Damn straight!

I'm the only one selfish enough to want this game to flop a little bit so it doesn't detract too much from Shenmue's launch ?

more footage has been put online.

looks almost identical to mgs5 in gameplay ( mini map etc). the graphics look amazing but im so tired of these dead open world games which you need to invest 60hours to complete. i hope im wrong but this game looks like it will be a chore to play.

Looks like your average Open World Game to me. Graphics look good but not my cup of tea at all. Just like my guts feeling said many month ago. But now it is offical I give the game a pass.

Last edited:
Looks boring. But out of sake for Kojima I'll give this game a chance. I need something to play before Shenmue III comes out

Reactions: red
I'll be interested in what the reviews, especially user reviews, are saying. So far, the only real interest in this is Hideo Kojima.

Some games look boring on the surface but the story and the world is enough to keep you gripped. I'll probably pass on it if it doesn't receive ridiculously high praise and feedback.

Reactions: red
To be honest I find it difficult as a Shenmue fan to see how other Shenmue fans can have the audacity to repeatedly say that
this game looks boring or that Sony wasted their money, or that it’s going to fail. Like really? Outside of the mini games of Shenmue, Death Stranding has much more minute to minute gameplay. The environment is an obstacle in itself even, every step is a challenge. That’s not even getting into the human and supernatural enemies or the vehicle or underworld stuff. I honestly just don’t get it. :lol: But more power to you, I guess. But all the vitriol that this game has garnered is just insane to me. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean those who are into it are blind Kojima fan boys.

I honestly think that this game is taking a lot of chances. So I find it frustrating when somehow people claim it’s the same old stale gameplay of other open world games, or say it’s too weird and niche and no one will like it. Sometimes the same people hold these two contradictory opinions at once. How?

Like in comparison, in Shenmue, the core gameplay is you walk around and talk to people to gather clues, with very occasional combat unless you’re training. But now In Shenmue 3 there’s at least some survival elements when traversing as well with needing to keep your energy and all.

This isn’t me saying Shenmue is boring by the way, or that you should be forced to like Death Stranding, by all means, play what you like. Not every game is for everyone. I am just saying that like I find walking around and talking to people in Shenmue is FUN that I also think that traversing the world of Death Stranding with all it’s environmental hazards and puzzles (not to mention the cargo management elements, and what appears to be a bonkers ass story), as well as the combat will be similarly FUN to me.

Shenmue 3 could be my GOTY this year, Death Stranding could be as well.

Edit: I was probably too harsh/confrontational in this post and if so I apologize. It’s just I am quite frustrated at some of the reactions around the net. xD

Last edited:
I will wait for reviews and if it's good then during a sale/price slash to grab a copy when I can make time for it so it doesn't end up in my backlog. I'm sorry but I was only planning to commit day 1 full price if it turned out as revolutionary genre (Re)defining as it was hyped to be. In the end it was just a smoke and mirror PR(Which I admit worked on me for quite awhile). No hate here. I'll give it prop tho for trying something unique using open-worlds. Best of Luck to Mr. Kojima. The Bad Pr is starting to set in and I hope it doesn't crush his spirit.

To be honest I find it difficult as a Shenmue fan to see how other Shenmue fans can have the audacity to repeatedly say that
this game looks boring or that Sony wasted their money, or that it’s going to fail. Like really? Outside of the mini games of Shenmue, Death Stranding has much more minute to minute gameplay. The environment is an obstacle in itself even, every step is a challenge. That’s not even getting into the human and supernatural enemies or the vehicle or underworld stuff. I honestly just don’t get it. :lol: But more power to you, I guess. But all the vitriol that this game has garnered is just insane to me. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean those who are into it are blind Kojima fan boys.

I honestly think that this game is taking a lot of chances. So I find it frustrating when somehow people claim it’s the same old stale gameplay of other open world games, or say it’s too weird and niche and no one will like it. Sometimes the same people hold these two contradictory opinions at once. How?

Like in comparison, in Shenmue, the core gameplay is you walk around and talk to people to gather clues, with very occasional combat unless you’re training. But now In Shenmue 3 there’s at least some survival elements when traversing as well with needing to keep your energy and all.[...]

QTF. In recent memory, I've tried to convey similar sentiment twice or thrice. Seems a bit hypocritical.

i think it looks good. i mean, i didnt see anything that got me ultra super extreme hyped
but if you are interested in atmospheric mysterious games where not every second is super action gameplay
and where you have to figure out what the game is about,
then Death Stranding should be on your radar.
i dont mind games where you have to walk a lot. i'm playing games like Witcher 3 or Yakuza
without ever using the fast travel option
so i can easily see myself just slowly wandering around in Death Stranding,
just enjoying the view and atmosphere. and as we already saw in the other trailers, there are these war flashback scenes
and all that stuff, so i want to see what surprises Kojima has in store
because there will be more than enough weird stuff that we didnt see yet
and i like weird stuff.

this game looks boring or that Sony wasted their money, or that it’s going to fail. Like really?

i understand what your saying but i disagree, there is a big difference between shenmue and kojimas recent games.

Are we really comparing Shenmue with DS?

Shenmue has a different gameplay than usual games.
DS has a different gameplay than usual games.
But they are not the same. They only share one thing: they are not like for everybody. That doesnt make DS a Shenmueish game.

About the game: what the hell Kojima, what the hell dude.

No, comparing treatment and attitudes of some Shenmue fans who turn a 180 with similar complaints as Shenmue haters. Ie Kojima isn't as good as Konami made him look or the game sounding and looking so boring, etc.

Where have I implied that Death Stranding is anything at all like Shenmue? Like, okay yall can keep intentionally missing the point. Par for the course, to be honest. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back