Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Reckon it's somewhere between the two but nearer gamescom judging by the trailer assets.

Watching Double Ren’s stream was interesting. One curious point was the skill book editor, where along with AT setting you have M1-4 settings where it appears you can assign custom move lists (I think up to 4 moves) based on move books you have learnt or mastered.

I noticed how quickly he was able to raise skill and eventually master moves, I assume in final game progression will take a lot longer.

Reckon it's somewhere between the two but nearer gamescom judging by the trailer assets.

The mouth animations were a give away that it was older....Ryo's mouth movements in the TGS B-Roll was far more articulate. Based on what I've seen. It sounds like it's the build from Gamescom. Didn't a Gamescom preview mention V 0.90? I seem to remember a write up mentioned the version number.

Watching Double Ren’s stream was interesting. One curious point was the skill book editor, where along with AT setting you have M1-4 settings where it appears you can assign custom move lists (I think up to 4 moves) based on move books you have learnt or mastered.

I noticed how quickly he was able to raise skill and eventually master moves, I assume in final game progression will take a lot longer.
I was just playing around with the fighting on my second play through. I noticed that you can change to Manual Transmission via the skill book editor. The main difference between the 2 (while sparring, going to see if there is any difference in an actual fight) is that in AT, you automatically block. I've only done 5 spars, but have manage to level the first 3 abilities to lvl 8. I'm going continue to mess around for now, but on the next play through, I'll be trying to trade a full capsule toy/herb set, to get a new move scroll, will add that to MT and try it out :D. One thing to mention, is that you will actually gain more "exp" for the moves while training, if you are higher on stamina - according to what the game said after I did a spar on 4 health orbs.

Does anybody know if this is the gamescom build or tgs? Loving the demo so much
The mouth animations were a give away that it was older....Ryo's mouth movements in the TGS B-Roll was far more articulate. Based on what I've seen. It sounds like it's the build from Gamescom. Didn't a Gamescom preview mention V 0.90? I seem to remember a write up mentioned the version number.
More advanced demo build than TGS (going by version numbers revealed by @Switch and what's on the trial main screen), but I have a growing body of evidence that it doesn't represent a current (or even old!) full game build.

A number of changes we saw in the TGS b-roll weren't present (lighting, improved mouth shapes for lip sync, camera angle changes, even minor geometry changes), and the backer trial more corresponds to how the game looked and behaved in the E3 b-roll. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, that Ys Net changed their mind on all these and reverted them back. My theory is that the TGS b-roll was from a full game build (you can see the dev tool for keeping track of time in the UI), and not the demo version.

The final form of Shenmue III has yet to reveal itself, and I think we may have to wait until release to know for sure what exactly that looks like. Basically... Peter is right. Trust him on this.

More advanced demo build than TGS (going by version numbers revealed by @Switch and what's on the trial main screen), but I have a growing body of evidence that it doesn't represent a current (or even old!) full game build.

A number of changes we saw in the TGS b-roll weren't present (lighting, improved mouth shapes for lip sync, camera angle changes, even minor geometry changes), and the backer trial more corresponds to how the game looked and behaved in the E3 b-roll. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, that Ys Net changed their mind on all these and reverted them back. My theory is that the TGS b-roll was from a full game build (you can see the dev tool for keeping track of time in the UI), and not the demo version.

The final form of Shenmue III has yet to reveal itself, and I think we may have to wait until release to know for sure what exactly that looks like. Basically... Peter is right. Trust him on this.

Oh I trust him, just looking at the B roll footage in comparison to the Demo and you could see the difference in mouth animations and it made me think "I guess this is still Gamescom build then?"

So my only gripe is I don't like how the combat feels, there was some talk of a different system which let you play like Shenmue 1 & 2 and I hope it's in there, but between not being able to use the d-pad and moves being performed by sequences of face button presses I was not able to just settle into the combat like I can with 1 & 2. Don't get me wrong, I'll get used to it if I have to, a poor player cries about the game instead of getting good... I just hope the old system is in place so I can play it like Virtua Fighter.

Oh I trust him, just looking at the B roll footage in comparison to the Demo and you could see the difference in mouth animations and it made me think "I guess this is still Gamescom build then?"
Hah, yeah I get it. It's kind of a mindfuck because some character models are significantly brushed up from that TGS b-roll too.

Without getting too deep into it (thanks to a certain someone for being able to confirm this too), the backer trial is kind of a chimera of a built-up version of the E3 demo, with some newer assets imported in. However, certain other changes haven't been ported over from the full game, perhaps to save time in producing trial versions for events and the backers. So basically they're just bolting on what improvements they can easily move from the full game build to the trial without digging into the guts of it too much.

It got washed away in the hype last time I posted this - but @Lan Di-sama graciously handed me a trial code to distribute to someone.

PM me if you want it, first come first served! I'll be clocking off to bed shortly too.

It got washed away in the hype last time I posted this - but @Lan Di-sama graciously handed me a trial code to distribute to someone.

PM me if you want it, first come first served! I'll be clocking off to bed shortly too.

Sadly I don't have a PC that can run it. I'm going to have serious Shenmue withdrawl having to wait 2 months to play Shenmue 3.

So many thoughts.long story short, it is amazing.

Biggest question for me so far, how have they recommend the map, or am I reading it wrong? How are we this far away from Shenhua's house?

So many thoughts.long story short, it is amazing.

Biggest question for me so far, how have they recommend the map, or am I reading it wrong? How are we this far away from Shenhua's house?

Well technically Shenhua's house Isn't actually in Baileu village, It's just outside overlooking the village

Back