Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Your guys comments and impressions are wonderful. I’ve got to vicariously live through them until I maybe can get my hands on powerful Pac to try trial.

@danielmann861 really happy to hear your thoughts on combat. You and I have shared similar concerns. I actually just booted up a few fights in Shenmue 2 to compare the speed and fluidity I saw in a few streams tonight. I actually thought speed looks faster on some moves. In the menu I’ve seen a model of Ryo who demos the selected move and some of the animation looks very nice.

So I just gave the fighting system a second go, and while I still hope for a way to control it in the old way, once I started landing double blows and tornado kicks it all felt very right. Doubly so when one of my double blows knocked my opponent prone for a little while.

It's still a bit like playing the newest Street Fighter and having a hadoken be light punch, light punch, heavy punch instead of the motion we all know.

@danielmann861 really happy to hear your thoughts on combat. You and I have shared similar concerns. I actually just booted up a few fights in Shenmue 2 to compare the speed and fluidity I saw in a few streams tonight. I actually thought speed looks faster on some moves. In the menu I’ve seen a model of Ryo who demos the selected move and some of the animation looks very nice.

In terms of speed, it feels more in line with Shenmue II. I always thought Shenmue II's combat was a little quicker and this felt more in line with that. You can do a side step by double tapping left or right on the analog stick. Guard is on the L2 trigger. There is a jab and kick button. Combo inputs will result in moves. So A, A, B is your Elbow Attack.

I relied mostly on the Elbow Attack in my first play through. But I was surprised, I thought it felt a fair bit like the original game in terms of learning move inputs. Granted there's no D pad directional inputs anymore but it's surprisingly close to the original game or as close as it could be. It's the closest they could get to the original game while modernizing it.

In fact, that's what I felt about the whole demo. It captures what we loved about Shenmue while modernizing it just enough where it needed to be modernized. It's still Shenmue the way we loved it, but streamlined just enough to make it feel a little better.

Anyways, vid is still uploading. Will take about an hour or so. Damn, that left me feeling giddy for November 19th.

*downloads*

Thanks to this community I get to play this. I can't believe it, I love you all.

I thought I heard the name Martial Hall before. If I recall, that's one of the training class tiers over at the Shaulin Temple mountain range(don't recall where exactly it was though).

Last edited:
Holy fudge. I just played Shenmue 3 ... and it is GLORIOUS! I love, love, LOVE the atmosphere, especially the ambient sounds. Having a mix of music from the Shenmue 2 and new music was jarring a bit but I understand the reason for it. I am so happy that Shenmue 3 is real! I spent an entire Shenmue day just watching the sun travel through the sky and drop below the horizon. Stunningly beautiful!20190926_233938.jpg

Thanks for sharing the impressions of the Demo and the screenshots. It Looks great to me. Just like Shenmue. Just like it should.

For those who have taken (beautfiul) screens, would you possibly be able to upload them to an image sharing website like imgur as well as attaching them to the forum, this means we can share them on other forums and show people just how good this game looks ! :) At the moment they are appearing as broken links. Thanks in advance!

Finally home and downloading Shenmue 3! My bandwidth sucks though and it's still going to be several hours before I can play. Can't fault Ys Net, 7.63GB is honestly amazing compression for what they warned may take up 20GB once unpacked.

Ah well, I'm not annoyed. I've played plenty of MMORPGs over the years so I'm used to agonising waits while huge downloads finish. Might head to bed early and start the trial in the morning.

The English version of the prophecy trailer is really good. Especially that extended bit at the end.

All in all I think the game looks really good from the several streams I’ve seen. Also when it runs well (dependent on PC hardware and stream settings) it looks buttery smooth. Night time looks majestic.

One thing I will say though, Ryo’s hands can look quite a bit funky at times, lol.

Also at first I kinda hated the run animation but when it’s 60fps it actually looks not bad!

Last edited:
My download finished long ago but I have to do some things today before I can begin. It'll take 3 hours or so. Pleaseeee invent a time machine and give it to me, QUICKLY!

The English version of the prophecy trailer is really good. Especially that extended but at the end.

All in all I think the game looks really good from the several streams I’ve seen. Also when it runs well (dependent on PC hardware and stream settings) it looks buttery smooth. Night time looks majestic.

One thing I will say though, Ryo’s hands can look quite a bit funky at times, lol.

Also at first I kinda hated the run animation but when it’s 60fps it actually looks not bad!

I'm rocking a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU alongside a nVidia RTX 2060 and I get what you mean. The run animation bothered me less seeing it at 60 fps. It looked a bit janky on the streams I was watching, but seeing it in person at full spec looked a lot better.

The whole game just looks better when you have it running direct. Skin texture was noticeable. Youtube compresses the hell out of it and makes it look like everyone's skin is lacking definition, but seeing it in person looked so much better.

Youtube compression does not do this game any favours.

I was going to do my initial run on PS4 but damn, I think I might be doing it on PC instead after seeing how good the demo looked on my rig. Unless they can get the PS4 Pro version running at 60FPS.

Okay I had to just start it for a minute before I must head out and I'm surprised I can run it at "Very high" and it still being smooth!! Seems the game is optimized well.

IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!

Back