Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Same. Actually, I've started taking him on with no training now I feel a bit more competent with the combat.

He's obviously got a slight edge in stats, but IMO that makes it a more thrilling fight than just steamrolling him after some training.

Did the same. Manage to steamroll him after learning how to play in the first try, without training. His stats are higher but he's quite easy when you know how to play.
Also Mud Spider move is great.

Don't forget we probably will still have the proper elbow assault during cutscenes/qte, like the epic Don Niu one. The esrb description says Ryo uses throws so i'm sure we'll see some of his classic moves in some way. If Shen 4 does happen I'm sure a grapple system will be the first thing implemented.

Did the same. Manage to steamroll him after learning how to play in the first try, without training. His stats are higher but he's quite easy when you know how to play.
Also Mud Spider move is great
This makes me wanna start with Hard in the full game, because I wanna train a lot, but I don't want to streamroll all the enemies in the game because my stats were raised too much.

This makes me wanna start with Hard in the full game, because I wanna train a lot, but I don't want to streamroll all the enemies in the game because my stats were raised too much.
Definitely a valid way to go. There were one or two interviews out of TGS (I think) where Yu said the difficulty above recommended/normal was where fans of the original games should go for a challenge in the battles.

I'm late to the party with this one, downloaded the demo yesterday had it all installed ready for my PC to switch of when running the game. Couldn't believe it! My PC plays every game fine untill now, turns out it was my PSU and had a spare one. Anyway...

Firs thing I'll say is this runs and feels like Shenmue. I can't believe they pulled this off, I spent my first playthough just walking around looking at the village and all the items and only spoke to a few characters. The graphics are fantastic and the environment is stunning, the menu is easy to use and I'm really happy they kept the items from the other Shenmue games in there. I know it's a small thing but it makes it feel like a continuation of the originals, I know the sega capsule toys are gone but the most important story items are there which is important to me.

On one of my other playthroughs I got stuck into the training and it really reminds me of Shenmue 1. Training is going to be key to this game and I'm glad they expanded on the training from the original, I really missed that aspect to the game. The sense of achievement from leveling up your Kung Fu.

Obviously the fighting itself is really different and not as good as the Virtua Figher engine but I hope that doesn't put anyone off. The VF engine was a masterpiece though and was always going to be hard to do better than that. The fighting in Shenmue 3 is enjoyable though and I am excited to a lot of the fighting in Shenmue 3.

Honestly guys for those of you who haven't had a chance to play it yet this is the game we have all been waiting for.The hype is real.

In the house with the wood chopping minigame, the jars in the back do not blur with the rest of the background.

About to jump into this again. Anyone touch worried about replaying demo too much?

A little. I have so much enthusiasm to grind horse stance and practice my one-inch-punch but if I do it too much here, I might not feel it when the actual game is in my hands.

I see the demo as a demonstration of the combat system, more than the Shenmue experience as a whole. There's lots of replay potential because of how tricky it can be to beat everyone at martial hall in the time allotted.

Shenmue III - An Hour of Kung Fu

Now live on Youtube....All Kung Fu! Nothing else.

I went back in and did another playthrough while waiting for this to upload to Youtube in the background.

Regarding Lucky Hit. Yes, the ball physics are really loose and bouncy, but the paths on some of these boards don't really help matters either. Especially the ones with tight canals to the Win spot. Some of the boards have really tight canals and if you don't get it into that canal then you can kiss your chances of winning good bye. I noticed it with the toy car board. You literally have to get it into that canal leading down to the win spot but because the bounce is really floaty, it's kind of hard to judge where best to drop.

Still, after wasting near 100 yuan, I finally won the Toy Car. I also won at 6x odds stand in the little gambling area.

I hope the ball physics are tweaked...I really do. Surely they can tweak them a little, right?

Still no downpour. :( Waiting for rain in at least one playthrough. Has anyone looked at the little girls drawings when it rains heavily? Do they get washed away in heavy rain fall? I want to test that out. (did they go to that level of detail?)

Last edited:
Shenmue III - An Hour of Kung Fu

Now live on Youtube....All Kung Fu! Nothing else.

I went back in and did another playthrough while waiting for this to upload to Youtube in the background.

Regarding Lucky Hit. Yes, the ball physics are really loose and bouncy, but the paths on some of these boards don't really help matters either. Especially the ones with tight canals to the Win spot. Some of the boards have really tight canals and if you don't get it into that canal then you can kiss your chances of winning good bye. I noticed it with the toy car board. You literally have to get it into that canal leading down to the win spot but because the bounce is really floaty, it's kind of hard to judge where best to drop.

Still, after wasting near 100 yuan, I finally won the Toy Car. I also won at 6x odds stand in the little gambling area.

I hope the ball physics are tweaked...I really do. Surely they can tweak them a little, right?

Still no downpour. :( Waiting for rain in at least one playthrough. Has anyone looked at the little girls drawings when it rains heavily? Do they get washed away in heavy rain fall? I want to test that out. (did they go to that level of detail?)
I got rain on my first play! haha ^^

I won't can it. Being a fan of Shenmue doesn't mean we blindly accept everything as perfect. For God sake I said I mostly loved it apart from what I regard is a serious issue. Are Shenmue fans so touchy that even mild but justified criticism gets slapped down?

That was CLEARLY a joke, because of your handle and avatar.

Calm down.

i think i watched about 9 different Youtube and Twitch streams now, all of them showed at least one full playthrough
and it never rained in any of those streams. the only time where i saw rain was in the Shenmue Dojo stream.
so chances to see rain cant be much higher than winning first try in the one-try only lucky hit stands. ?

Am I really the only one who always plays Shenmue using the default control scheme from Shenmue I? Left trigger for movement/running and right trigger for looking/examining? I know it sounds like a minor complaint, but an option for this would be so easy for them to implement and it would be really annoying to have to train myself to control Shenmue the opposite way that I normally do.

It kind of boggles my mind that there's no option to swap these functions but there is one to swap "confirm" and "cancel." I mean, pretty much all games for many years have used A/Cross for confirm and B/Circle for cancel, including the original Shenmue games on Dreamcast!

Is there some way I can make a suggestion to Ys Net? I don't want to post in that cesspool of a comments section that I'm sure they don't even look at anymore.

Since I only have a 10 day trial of Shadow I relented this morning and replayed demo. Achieved my goal of beating all 5 members of the dojo (just beat gold tiger by skin of my teeth) along with beating bookie. Anyone else notice the snake potion you buy from Tao store gets listed in important items?

Back