Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

I posted this question earlier but still encountered this in later playthroughs. Am I the only one?

Am I the only one who struggled getting anything above slow grade for the QTE command inputs during sparing? I swear I would have my fingers in place for moves like elbow assault or tornado kick and outside few exceptions even though I thought I input those commands immediately, it wouldn’t register anything but slow.

I posted this question earlier but still encountered this in later playthroughs. Am I the only one?

Hmm, perhaps you are pressing the buttons slow. It can be a little misleading, you might think you have to press the buttons at the speed in which Ryo would execute the combo but you just have to press them as fast as you can. For example Tornado Kick A A X X. Press this combo as fast as you can and then the move will follow. You literally have to hit it lightning fast and not at the pace it flashes to you. If you're already doing that then I'm not sure haha.

I think I saw that you are streaming the game via the shadow thing right? If so, usually, the only input latency would be from the controller to the PC, however, when using cloud computing, it's going to be much larger as it has to account for the trip to the server etc.
The controller input has to go to your computer (maybe even via bluetooth), be processed, and then to their server. You do have to be reality fast, and if there's an extra amount of latency in the chain due to the the above trip, then that's probably why. It would be interesting to see what the latency is with Shadow. Do you have any indication or a IP that you can ping? Google Stadia is trying to get around this problem by instead of using bluetooth to a device (like chromecast) and then to their server, they are supplying a controller that has wifi, and will connect straight to their servers in a effort to try and make that input latency feel as low as possible.

Last edited:
I think I saw that you are streaming the game via the shadow thing right? I guess the latency to the computer that you're using and then for that to get streamed back to you might be the thing that is causing the issue. You do have to be reality fast, and if there's an extra 100ms in the chain due to the the above round trip, then that's probably why.

Thanks for both your replies. One question I have for those getting good grades in sparing would you say the window for the command QTEs smaller than regularly pulling off a move in fight?

Yes I’m using Shadow and it most likely will be adding additional latency, I can pull off moves in combat fine but outside low kick move bough at Tao store (AA) I don’t recall getting a good grade for any other move. Be interesting to compare with PS4 release and when I replay Shenmue 1 and 2 on Shadow.

Thanks for both your replies. One question I have for those getting good grades in sparing would you say the window for the command QTEs smaller than regularly pulling off a move in fight?
Yes, I'd say that it's a little faster than the original combo input. I am usually already spamming the input when the QTE comes up, as I am just training the one move (so just repeatably press AYY for example). If I don't spam, and I have to react straight away to the prompts, you do have to be very fast for good. You could try the above method and report back. Just get in a spar and constantly spam AYY lol

Never had a problem, seems too easy to get a Great in my experience. You do have to wait a little longer than you might expect before executing the qte otherwise you risk your 2nd or 3rd button press being mistaken for your 1st and failing you. Other than that just execute as quickly as possible, I don't even try to match the prompts.

Did anyone else think it was unusual for Ryo to call Tao "Mr. Tao?" I don't think he's ever used the title "Mr" before. He normally would just call him "Tao-san."

Not a huge deal, but it seems to be a slight inconsistency between the localization of this game and the first two games.

OMG guys !

I have just finished to play for the first time the demo and it is really good !
I am so happy ! :)

The game looks great, the atmosphere is so Shenmue !
I have to work more the fighting systeme but for a first impression it was a good first impression

It is nearly perfect for me

it is way better than everything I could hope.
The one houre of gameplay spend so fast, I really can t wait to have the final game between my hands!

Great video here showing all the moves so far and how the create a combo system works. Mud spider (1:21) and Sword kick (2:13) look crazy powerful and so pleased to see the Double Blow (1:10) and Double Thigh Kick (1:59) two of my fave moves from the originals.

The attack animation is much closer to VF than you'd think.

Mudspider especially is Lei-Fei inspired. The leg sweep too.

QbpcYhT.gif

If the camera shifts side ways instead of the current angle it def be Virtua fighters esque aesthetically. I'd even say if the animation and more resources was poured in to get it on point, it'd be almost 1:1.

Last edited:
Did anyone else think it was unusual for Ryo to call Tao "Mr. Tao?" I don't think he's ever used the title "Mr" before. He normally would just call him "Tao-san."

Not a huge deal, but it seems to be a slight inconsistency between the localization of this game and the first two games.
Didn't explicitly notice this, but that is kind of strange now that you point it out. The original Shenmue was really far ahead of the game when it comes to localizations keeping honorifics.

Reaper's Kick is a straight-up karate hook kick and I love it.

Don't tap along with the prompts on-screen, just do it as fast as possible as soon as the QTE appears. When I realised that I got a Great every time, and I don't have the fastest fingers on the block.

GameXplain did a playthrough of the demo. The guy playing enjoyed it. The video is glitchy though and goes blurry at random places.

However, many people in the comments say it looks bad. some "PS2 Graphics" and others "early 360". Others think it looks generic.

I thought it would be generally well recieved but I guess not. Still, more positivity than negativity wherever I look. Some comments I've seen are encouraging "I thought it would be a dumpster fire, but it's great" (paraphrasing). Then there are very few Epic whiners.

Shenmue III   29_09_2019 2_20_32 AM.png
Shenmue III   29_09_2019 2_18_04 AM.png

^ That's the game running on its Lowest Setting option. Notice the lack of foliage on trees and how flat the ground looks.

^ THIS is what a PS3 and 360 game would look like back in the day. In fact, go look up shots of GTA V PS3 vs PS4 and you'll see much the same. GTA V PS3 version lacks environmental detail. GTA V PS4 version has it in spades.

Shenmue III   29_09_2019 2_19_07 AM.png

^ That's the game on its Very High settings. Notice the foilage. The wonderful foilage! Notice the ground work and how vibrant it is. Not to mention other details that are probably going on that I can't really tell you (lighting etc)

Anyone who tells you it looks like a PS3 game really needs to go and get their eyes checked...maybe on its lowest settings you could make that argument. But on its highest settings? Looks like a modern gen game to me.

Last edited:
Shenmue III   29_09_2019 12_19_58 PM.png

^ Low Settings (i.e what a true PS3 / 360 version of this game would look like)

Shenmue III   29_09_2019 12_20_17 PM.png

^ Medium Settings

Shenmue III   29_09_2019 12_20_34 PM.png

^ High Settings

Shenmue III   29_09_2019 12_20_51 PM.png

^ Very High Settings

I imagine the PS4 version will probably come in somewhere around Medium to High settings (although, it could be Very High on PS4 just dropped down to 30fps)

On my Ryzen 5 3600, it's only using about 14% of the CPU. GPU comes in somewhere at around 40% and I'm rocking a RTX 2060 w/ 6GB Ram. So I can imagine the PS4 version will be floating somewhere around high settings or maybe Very High with the frame rate dropped to compensate.

I'm interested to see the PS4 version now. After seeing the PC version, I'm almost considering my first playthrough on PC instead of PS4. Would be really nice if there are PS4 Pro settings allowing Pro owners to do 60FPS. Because that higher frame rate is just too nice to look back from.

Last edited:
To those with concerns or things you didnt like in the demo bring it up to the developers. There is still time for further polishing of the game.

So I just showed a buddy of mine the demo and had him play it, he had never touched Shenmue before in his life so I thought this was a great chance to get the opinion of a non-fan. He loved it, he liked how relaxing and peaceful it all felt. He really got it and was just soaking up the atmosphere and flavor of everything. Shenmue is an acquired taste but III may expose some new people to their new addiction.

Back