Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Oh no, I just got the message telling me to finish up whatever I want to do in Bailu before doing the thing. I guess I'm moving on to Choubu soon. 😭 Also is it just me or is it weird to not have major sections of a Shenmue game broken up by disc?

Man, I still haven’t been able to explore the entirety of Bailu. I’m going so slow. But I’m also haven’t had a chance to sit down with it for more than an hour or two at a time. Planning to have a separate save before leaving Bailu.

Man, I still haven’t been able to explore the entirety of Bailu. I’m going so slow. But I’m also haven’t had a chance to sit down with it for more than an hour or two at a time. Planning to have a separate save before leaving Bailu.
I gonna hang around for a bit longer to do some more stuff, but I'll probably activate the event some time today. I'm at 24 hours atm for what it's worth.

I'm only on bailu but I feel like the side quests are wasted potential, I was hoping they'd be nice little insights into the npcs or even place Ryo into some fun situations, but they are all just fetch quests so far. The only one I kind of liked was the one about the guy in love with a martial artist, everything else has just been, "yo go do this for me thanks bye"

I'm only on bailu but I feel like the side quests are wasted potential, I was hoping they'd be nice little insights into the npcs or even place Ryo into some fun situations, but they are all just fetch quests so far. The only one I kind of liked was the one about the guy in love with a martial artist, everything else has just been, "yo go do this for me thanks bye"

I take it you haven't done the old man's "Tall Tales" quest? Because there is your insight!

I take it you haven't done the old man's "Tall Tales" quest? Because there is your insight!
oh that one I like alot, even if calling it a quest is a stretch, I was kind of hoping before release the way things would work is some npcs would be super cold to ryo as an outsider, and they would have a questline tied around them that you would need to do to earn their trust and get info out of them from there on out. But even past that I was kind of just hoping there'd be some fun fleshing out of Ryo kind of like how....dare I make the comparison, kind of like how substories in yakuza put the characters into scenarios youd never see em in otherwise giving you goofy little insights into them and just having some nice small heartwarming bits.

I feel Ryo could benefit from this stuff massively, I like him fair enough as a protagonist but his dialogue kind of getting trapped in just asking questions and saying I see to everything makes him feel so flat outside of the main story bits (this is why i love the shenhua talks in this game).

I wasted over 1800 Bailu Panda Dollars because i bought a move in a shop that i already had from somewhere else
and my save file was over 90 (real) minutes old ...
And then i couldnt do the last missing side mission because i couldnt interact with that person anymore because
of the story progression.
notlikethis.png

I arrived at the second location now ... that place is a bit overwhelming. I had to take a break.

So I just finished Bailu area and moved onto Niaowu. I have one question...

What happened to the repurposed boat mission? Was that just a rumour then or a case of fans adding 2 + 2 and getting 5? Hmm, I suppose it could come later

So I just finished Bailu area and moved onto Niaowu. I have one question...

What happened to the repurposed boat mission? Was that just a rumour then or a case of fans adding 2 + 2 and getting 5? Hmm, I suppose it could come later
I literally just finished bailu too like a minute ago

Overall I liked it, but just liked it, it didnt have the level of detail I was hoping for and it really never felt like a community as I was hoping, I think it needed alot more optional scenes like in 1. And it did indeed feel a bit like filler, the highlight was talking to shenhua.

The man in love was funny but it felt fetch too as he was awaiting you to interact with.

The Square / X button itself is a design non-sense. Izumi and Fangmei didn't need that to engage their side quests.

I hope the game gets better about that because I barely see the brillance of Dreamcast episodes where the side quests were invisible for the player.

Yeah I was expecting more of a you have to earn the villagers trust type of thing doing side quests, etc and overtime their rapport would build with Ryo, but most warmed up as soon as they saw he wasn't just some rando, but Shenhua's friend. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity there for character/world building. I'm still having a blast with exercising all of the dialogue options though.

already the 2nd area is making a stronger impression on me, mainly cause I like shenmue 2 alot more than 1. Gotta say I was laughing my ass off the entire
phone call with Tom, that goofy as voice just slays me everytime and I wasnt expecting him of all people to lecture ryo on destiny choosing shenhua as the one, it was just so fucking goofy I love it

I kind of hate that you can call fangmei but not xiuying though, its weird how shes just outright not in this game to me, I always assumed she would be a major player going foreword, which I guess she still will be judging from the cards but still.

Is the biggest bang for your buck in the Golden Goose? I'm going for the second largest, the third donor face offering 50,000 for two shot. I want to get the 500k trophy this time around, so I'm just going to camp out for a bit.

Never before have I stared at a man's face so long in order to win a martial arts outfit...

Last edited:
ok, so I aint gonna lie, I got such a rush of emotion reading through
The kickstarter notebook next to ryos bed, there was such a mix of happiness and melancholy reading alot of those messages, shout out to the guy who did a tribute to his late grandfather, you got me feeling choked up after I was just laughing my ass off at the guy talking about cryptocurrency taking him to the moon

^I felt the same when I first walked in the Save Shenmue shrine. It's so well done, but also stupid and silly. Very well executed. I wasn't expecting it at all and when I opened the door I was like OMG its beautiful! lol
I also noticed the red crates you can move on your forklift job are labeled to the Save Shenmue place which I thought was a nice easter egg.

EDIT: just realized you said you just got to Niaowu so don't read the message in spoiler tags yet until you've explored the whole area lol

Yeah I'm already like 10 hours into Niaowu and it still feels overwhelming large to me. Every new section I explore surprises me with how far it keeps on going. I thought Bailu was pretty big too, but I can see what you mean. There wasn't a ton of excitement there until towards the end.

Back