Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting the game's price to $34.99 around the holidays is one of the few intelligent things Deep Silver has done with this game. There's a lot of competition in November and undoubtedly a lot of people have picked up the game out of curiosity and the price point. It's a genius move.

I figured since it's multiple retailers, it was Deep Silver's move. I could be completely wrong though I guess.
It could be either a good sign, or a bad sign.

Maybe Deep Silver did it to push the game. OR, and this is the bad one, the game was overshipped and people are not buying the game. So retailers are trying to get rid of the stock. It's a little soon for the later ption though. So, it's probably Deep Silver, unless sales of the game have been a total disaster from day one.

It could be either a good sign, or a bad sign.

Maybe Deep Silver did it to push the game. OR, and this is the bad one, the game was overshipped and people are not buying the game. So retailers are trying to get rid of the stock. It's a little soon for the later ption though. So, it's probably Deep Silver, unless sales of the game have been a total disaster from day one.
Has this type of move been done successfully before? And is it looking like Deep Silvers call because of the multiple retailers making the price change?

It's possible DS could be subsidizing and orchestrating this discount, don't get me wrong. But the prevailing theory beforehand was that Best Buy was taking the hit themselves to get people into their stores with black friday deals, and Amazon merely price-matched them.

It's possible DS could be subsidizing and orchestrating this discount, don't get me wrong. But the prevailing theory beforehand was that Best Buy was taking the hit themselves to get people into their stores with black friday deals, and Amazon merely price-matched them.
I've saw WalMart discounted as well? Any truth to this?

Here's the top 10 when the Shenmue Remasters came out

1. (NE) PS4 F1 2018 (CODEMASTERS)
  2. (NE) XBO F1 2018 (CODEMASTERS)
  3. (NE) PS4 SHENMUE I & II (SEGA)
  4. (02) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
  5. (03) PS4 GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
  6. (05) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
  7. (11) XBO PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (MICROSOFT)
  8. (04) XBO CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
  9. (NE) XBO SHENMUE I & II (SEGA)
  10. (07) NSW SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
It wasn't exactly fierce competition was it?
The current top 10 has a two new Pokemon, Star Wars, Call of Duty, FIFA , Mario and Sonic ETC.

You've got to remember there's clearly an interest in the game. Black Friday in the US has seen it sell out at Amazon and the number one seller at Best Buy. It could be $20 but if nobody had an interest it still wouldn't sell.

In ALL fairness, if they had gone with a $40/£40 price point it may have sold a ton more copies to begin with. At the end of the day it does not look like a 'AAA' game, but they are charging AAA price for it.

Deep Silver are savvy. They know what they are doing. I would bet they never expected to shift many units at $60 knowing the hardcore fans technically pre-bought their copies via Kickstarter. A $25 Black Friday discount sounds better than a $5 one if they HAD launched at $40 though, right? And those copies are flying out of stores.

The digital market in the UK has grown dramatically over the last 2-3 years so it not selling as many copies of the remasters (Which WERE at a mid-tier price - I preordered mine for £22.85 , PS4, Base.com) is none-news to me (and the fact you can't get it on Xbox)

Everybody stop freaking out and ride the wave. It is doing fine.

Look at the Terminator game that came out a few days before. Way behing Shenmue in the UK charts, 7 year development time, and you think that Terminator license came cheap?

Those are the fans that should be worried!

Your posts on the forum are always super informative and always provide a great perspective. Brilliant work.

Has this type of move been done successfully before? And is it looking like Deep Silvers call because of the multiple retailers making the price change?
It's probably Deep Silver trying to push the game. It's WAY too soon for retailer discounts. It hasn't even been a week since the game came out.

Last edited:
I figured since it's multiple retailers, it was Deep Silver's move. I could be completely wrong though I guess.
Any time you see an item on sale, it's due to the manufacturer/publisher in this case deciding that they will sell an item for that price - retaiilers get the difference back from the manufacturer and publishers get an uptick in sales. With the sale being done right after launch, DS has a chance to get a giant sales number to sling around which only helps the chances of a sequel being put intro production.

Any time you see an item on sale, it's due to the manufacturer/publisher in this case deciding that they will sell an item for that price - retaiilers get the difference back from the manufacturer and publishers get an uptick in sales. With the sale being done right after launch, DS has a chance to get a giant sales number to sling around which only helps the chances of a sequel being put intro production.
So ultimately, is this a good move/good news? Or a risky tactic?

It's a good move in the short term and doesn't really have any long-term effect. It's a very short-term sale, although it does hurt some of the die-hards who backed it at high levels to get it made only to see anyone be able to get it for nearly half-off within a week of release.

Unfortunately shenmue 3 in the UK has only managed 17th in the charts. This doesn't fill me with confidence for a easy chance of shenmue 4. I hope I'm wrong and it still makes plenty of money but I'm worried. Don't want to have to wait or fight years for shenmue 4.

I think the Best Buy and amazon sales seem good. The game is niche, it’s not going to sell a boatload. Luckily us kickstarters all paid the development of the game so everything else should be profit pretty much. I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to get an S4 as the studio nor engine needs developed now, and all 80K Kickstarter backers become retail customers.

Seeing a few articles out there now about how bad it is that shenmue debuted below a game exclusive to pc with limited physical release (football manager). Yeah that combined with it looking like amazon just didnt carry much of a stock to begin with, theres alot to be worried about.

I'm just enjoying 3 while I can regardless of whether its the abrupt end or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back