Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see this game on Switch, however the game would have to be very optimised to run well on the Nintendo console

Also don't forget that S3's retail version charted pretty high across the world when it first went on preorder. We're fine, boys and girls.
I'm holding onto this thought, as well as the knowledge that Epic probably paid a lot that'll hopefully go into a Shenmue IV.

Wouldn't the preorders be reflected in the first week sales (regardless of whether the site charges at the time of order or shipment)?

This type of negative energy didnt get us Shenmue III. We stayed positive and kept going.

While I appreciate the very valid concerns here we need to stick together now more than ever. Create the positive vibes that helps Shenmue III sell. Get word out there.

Yu Suzuki himself has said he will find a way for the story to continue. Let's not give up now. If Shenmue III does similar numbers to more recent Yakuza games we will be home and dry.

This type of negative energy didnt get us Shenmue III. We stayed positive and kept going.

While I appreciate the very valid concerns here we need to stick together now more than ever. Create the positive vibes that helps Shenmue III sell. Get word out there.

Yu Suzuki himself has said he will find a way for the story to continue. Let's not give up now. If Shenmue III does similar numbers to more recent Yakuza games we will be home and dry.

Completely agree with you. Being negative won’t help shenmue 3 sell. There’s so much positive about this game.

Just for comparison with Yakuza 6 (the "finale" of the original protagonist's story) - it debuted at #3 in the UK charts (and launched the same week as God of War 2018 which was a huge game along the lines of Death Stranding, Star Wars, etc.) but then dropped to #39 the next week.

For the US, to reference back to, it came out on April 17 (so similar position in the month to Shenmue's 19th date), and was #17 overall while being #4 for PS4 specifically.

Do you imagine this negative attitude in 2001?
Only 1 million and Sega is broken? Welp that's it nice to met you guys gg ez reported.

negativity from fans to this degree will just put people off buying into the franchise.
There honestly is something to this, and I feel @ShenSun somewhat alluded to it as well. If all outsiders see of the Shenmue fanbase right after release of the game we've waited 18 years for is anxiety and depression rather than people talking about how much they're fucking loving the game, of course they're not going to want to jump into the series lmao. Passion is contagious, but so is misery.

There is legitimate cause for concern with these rankings and some other matters, but it also wouldn't kill us to try and focus a little more on the positives either. I'm guilty of this too guys, I don't mean to point fingers or anything.

100%. I honestly expected so much better from the dojo of all places. This doesn't feel like the dojo circa 2005-2007 at all, and it was pretty damn negative back then haha.
none of posts in this particular thread are negative, we just wanted it to reach top 10 and push for a shenmue. we are urging it on just worried!!!

I think the original pricing point was high at £59.99 in UK so perhaps sales will continue well when goes to a more high street price!

please dont think people are negative because of this one thread. its the kickstarter epic individuals who are crazy

It's also worth recalling that Cedric the Biscuithog™ said that if S3 bombed, there'd still be a 50/50 chance of Shenmue 4 happening. That's a pretty outrageous claim to make, so it makes it sound like he must have known something significant that we don't. Or maybe he was just being a goober like usual, who knows. And to @Shadow2222 and @mjqjazzbar's very good point that the publishers and developers need to know sooner rather than later on the sales of the game, the good news is they'll know a lot sooner than us plebs out here on the sidelines.

Do you imagine this negative attitude in 2001?
Only 1 million and Sega is broken? Welp that's it nice to met you guys gg ez reported.
Man if I was as into Shenmue and the Dreamcast then as I am now, I'd have probably offed myself lmao.

Here's the top 10 when the Shenmue Remasters came out

1. (NE) PS4 F1 2018 (CODEMASTERS)
  2. (NE) XBO F1 2018 (CODEMASTERS)
  3. (NE) PS4 SHENMUE I & II (SEGA)
  4. (02) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
  5. (03) PS4 GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
  6. (05) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
  7. (11) XBO PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (MICROSOFT)
  8. (04) XBO CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
  9. (NE) XBO SHENMUE I & II (SEGA)
  10. (07) NSW SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
It wasn't exactly fierce competition was it?
The current top 10 has a two new Pokemon, Star Wars, Call of Duty, FIFA , Mario and Sonic ETC.

You've got to remember there's clearly an interest in the game. Black Friday in the US has seen it sell out at Amazon and the number one seller at Best Buy. It could be $20 but if nobody had an interest it still wouldn't sell.

In ALL fairness, if they had gone with a $40/£40 price point it may have sold a ton more copies to begin with. At the end of the day it does not look like a 'AAA' game, but they are charging AAA price for it.

Deep Silver are savvy. They know what they are doing. I would bet they never expected to shift many units at $60 knowing the hardcore fans technically pre-bought their copies via Kickstarter. A $25 Black Friday discount sounds better than a $5 one if they HAD launched at $40 though, right? And those copies are flying out of stores.

The digital market in the UK has grown dramatically over the last 2-3 years so it not selling as many copies of the remasters (Which WERE at a mid-tier price - I preordered mine for £22.85 , PS4, Base.com) is none-news to me (and the fact you can't get it on Xbox)

Everybody stop freaking out and ride the wave. It is doing fine.

Look at the Terminator game that came out a few days before. Way behing Shenmue in the UK charts, 7 year development time, and you think that Terminator license came cheap?

Those are the fans that should be worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back