Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

Shenmue makes a mockery of critics and they are too stupid to see it. Games are becoming too long, being regularly fixed with updates and DLC. Typically all you get from a critique is the base game because they are not only lazy but the worst writers in any given critical medium.

Seriously go read serious film or music reviews and then try reading an IGN review for any game.

Shenmue makes a mockery of critics and they are too stupid to see it. Games are becoming too long, being regularly fixed with updates and DLC. Typically all you get from a critique is the base game because they are not only lazy but the worst writers in any given critical medium.

Seriously go read serious film or music reviews and then try reading an IGN review for any game.
Slant and Paste wrote some of the best SIII reviews. Non-videogame sites. Makes sense.

Everyone has their opinions but I cannot agree with the above. S3 exceeded my expectations, especially given the budget limitations Yu had to work with. If S4 is more of the same I’d be very, very happy to see it exist. And just because I feel the contrary to you doesn’t mean I’m not “at least” being honest.
When I backed S3, I honestly expected it to be complete dogshit. With everything as it was (low budget, no team, Yu rusty after practically 15 years out of the game, plenty of talent either retired from the industry or tied up with other projects, etc), I just didn't think it was possible for them to make a good game. I didn't expect a fun game that I would personally enjoy, I just did it because I wanted Yu to be able to continue the series because I respect and appreciate everything he's done for the medium so much. The fact that it has turned out to be my favorite game of the 8th generation... yeah, consider my expectations surpassed lmao.

While I can get behind not personally attacking Suzuki and his team because that takes it too far, the fact that nothing negative can be said is nonsense. I'm sorry but the vast majority of people here have the inability to call a baby ugly, so to speak. Yes, its more Shenmue. We are all generally happy that his happened. However, there is ALOT that is bad with this game. Does it make it unplayable? No. Does it make me want Shenmue 4 any less? No. Do I wish that Suzuki would be objective and not cater to nostalgia and outdated gaming practices? Absolutely yes.

People keep saying they want Shenmue 4 to happen and it absolutely will not unless 3 does well. Suffice to say, its not doing all that well people. Modern gamers don't give a fuck about this series and us artificially inflating the review scores is downright deceptive which all of you supposedly hate. This also brings me to my next point around you saying some of us criticizing the game means we weren't fans to begin with.

I'm sorry, but where the fuck were you the last 15+ years on the original forum when we still had a vibrant community? Where were you during all the years and years of literally 0 Shenmue news when we still hung out on here, talked about life, and theorized about Shenmue? Where were you when every time LanDC posted a new mod or something cool he found, we all practically shit our pants? Where are your pictures on the original dojo site with fan art? Where are your pictures of all the strategy guides, artwork, fanmade memorabilia, bootleg VCD movies, wacthes, figures, and every single version of the DC and xbox games that we were all so proud of?

Don't fucking tell us we aren't fans you bumbling jackass. If you can't tell, we are still posting on this site because WE ARE FANS. We want this to do well. We want this to continue. However, if it will continue with more of what we saw in Shenmue 3, I'd rather let it die and remember what it was. Us "haters" may be in the minority, but at least we're honest.
I clearly struck a nerve here. First of all I’m not a “bumbling jackass.” I just stated the fact that the game should be treated with more respect considering the circumstances it was made. Kickstarter games are notorious for turning out bad. I was expecting the worst. The fact that we got a game so in spirit with the originals amazes me. You seem to actually criticize this and call it outdated.

You want the series to die if it’s more like Shenmue 3?! This is why I question whether the haters are real fans. Shenmue 3 is completely faithful to the originals yet you are tearing it to pieces like it’s just a piece of junk. It seems you want to modernize it and remove a lot of what makes it Shenmue. What was the point of being here all this time hoping for Shenmue 3 if you’d just end up being a negative uncompromising hater towards the game. Unwilling to accept, considering the circumstances, how much of a miracle it is to even have the game in the first place.

I may not have been here for 15 years on this forum but I have been a passionate Shenmue fan since I first played it in March 2004. As a teen my room was full of Shenmue posters and I have a small but treasured collection of Shenmue memorabilia. I lived through the agonizing wait for Shenmue 3 like you. That’s why it amazes me that someone like you who waited so long could be so antagonistic towards the game. What Yu gave us is a miracle and I still pinch myself that now it doesn’t end in the cave. That I actually have another Shenmue game to play that is completely faithful to the originals.

The plot issues and presentation problems can be debated but what cannot be debated is that Yu delivered a game that is a pure Shenmue experience and I still believe a real fan of Shenmue would not treat this game with utter contempt like you do. I can accept criticisms of the game but only if they acknowledge the good aspects of the game which to me completely outweighs the negatives. You and others act like the complete game is a disaster which is absolute rubbish.

Last edited:
When I backed S3, I honestly expected it to be complete dogshit. With everything as it was (low budget, no team, Yu rusty after practically 15 years out of the game, plenty of talent either retired from the industry or tied up with other projects, etc), I just didn't think it was possible for them to make a good game. I didn't expect a fun game that I would personally enjoy, I just did it because I wanted Yu to be able to continue the series because I respect and appreciate everything he's done for the medium so much. The fact that it has turned out to be my favorite game of the 8th generation... yeah, consider my expectations surpassed lmao.
I'm grateful as well, he came out of retirement to fulfill a pipe dream for us more than for himself. He's already got a legendary career and made more than enough fame and money to last his life time. A role model developer that should be prop up and not tear down like what is currently happening.

Times are different now. Youtube didn’t exist in 2001. Shenmue was riding on the praise of the original title. Yu Suzuki had tons of budget, a better team, and apparently his younger, more creative story telling mojo. The mojo apparently has run dry.

He also had millions of dollars and 200+ employees at one of the most technologically advanced and accomplished game studios in the world. Cmon, man. Like or dislike the game all you want but don’t be dishonest or unfair.

his younger, more creative story telling mojo.
Naw, he's still got it. Budgets/team resources are handicapping him more than his talent diminishing. Give him the keys to a proper studio fill with vet staffs and budget and we'd be mind-blown for another decade or till w/e his next ground breaking project releases. Besides that, Shenmue's story is already completely written.

On another note~The man is still thinking about bringing in outside tech for industry innovations when most of his peers has already bowed out or resting on their laurels.

I clearly struck a nerve here. First of all I’m not a “bumbling jackass.” I just stated the fact that the game should be treated with more respect considering the circumstances it was made. Kickstarter games are notorious for turning out bad. I was expecting the worst. The fact that we got a game so in spirit with the originals amazes me. You seem to actually criticize this and call it outdated.

You want the series to die if it’s more like Shenmue 3?! This is why I question whether the haters are real fans. Shenmue 3 is completely faithful to the originals yet you are tearing it to pieces like it’s just a piece of junk. It seems you want to modernize it and remove a lot of what makes it Shenmue. What was the point of being here all this time hoping for Shenmue 3 if you’d just end up being a negative uncompromising hater towards the game. Unwilling to accept, considering the circumstances, how much of a miracle it is to even have the game in the first place.

I may not have been here for 15 years on this forum but I have been a passionate Shenmue fan since I first played it in March 2004. As a teen my room was full of Shenmue posters and I have a small but treasured collection of Shenmue memorabilia. I lived through the agonizing wait for Shenmue 3 like you. That’s why it amazes me that someone like you who waited so long could be so antagonistic towards the game. What Yu gave us is a miracle and I still pinch myself that now it doesn’t end in the cave. That I actually have another Shenmue game to play that is completely faithful to the originals.

The plot issues and presentation problems can be debated but what cannot be debated is that Yu delivered a game that is a pure Shenmue experience and I still believe a real fan of Shenmue would not treat this game with utter contempt like you do. I can accept criticisms of the game but only if they acknowledge the good aspects of the game which to me completely outweighs the negatives. You and others act like the complete game is a disaster which is absolute rubbish.

You didn’t strike any of his nerves mate, it’s more a case of who the fuck are you.

This forum was filled with level headed people who kept this community alive during the dead years when there was more chance of a steak cooked medium well coming back to life then Shenmue. If you look back at the Dojo pre E3 2015 pretty much everyone who posted back then has left. The reason? People doing what you’re doing now after being here for 5 minutes, telling people how they should think and feel about a game they waited over 15 years for, after they posted on a forum dedicated to it sometimes every day for years just because they wasn’t always 100% positive about it.

As I said these were level headed people, it was a nice group. We had disagreements about what we liked about certain games including Shenmue and for the most part everyone still got along. We had laughs and even when people had tough times we was there for them and on a few occasions there was fund raising set up to help them, we was a weird little family. But now if anyone has something to say about Shenmue that isn’t in line they get jumped on and accused of stupid things like not being a fan and made to feel like they should leave by people who claim ‘we did it’ when they was off somewhere else during the dead years.

When Shenmue 3 came out I got really nostalgic for the old Dojo times and the people who posted here so reached out and got in touch with a bunch of old members to catch up. I’ve probably spoke to about 30 odd people and 3/4 of them said they don’t post here anymore because they don’t feel welcome or had enough of people who had been here 5 minutes telling them how to act. Some of these people posted for over 10 years and they don’t feel welcome because they don’t think Shenmue is better then a naked Anna Kendrick. Just looking at the non Shenmue forums now is depressing as those things are what kept the community alive in the dead years.

Yet everything you list and claim as fact is opinion at the end of the day. Those 30 odd people I said I spoke to who posted here keeping the community alive, the majority who I’ve actually spoke to about the game don’t really like it that much and don’t feel like it’s what they loved about Shenmue.

You didn’t strike any of his nerves mate, it’s more a case of who the fuck are you.

This forum was filled with level headed people who kept this community alive during the dead years when there was more chance of a steak cooked medium well coming back to life then Shenmue. If you look back at the Dojo pre E3 2015 pretty much everyone who posted back then has left. The reason? People doing what you’re doing now after being here for 5 minutes, telling people how they should think and feel about a game they waited over 15 years for, after they posted on a forum dedicated to it sometimes every day for years just because they wasn’t always 100% positive about it.

As I said these were level headed people, it was a nice group. We had disagreements about what we liked about certain games including Shenmue and for the most part everyone still got along. We had laughs and even when people had tough times we was there for them and on a few occasions there was fund raising set up to help them, we was a weird little family. But now if anyone has something to say about Shenmue that isn’t in line they get jumped on and accused of stupid things like not being a fan and made to feel like they should leave by people who claim ‘we did it’ when they was off somewhere else during the dead years.

When Shenmue 3 came out I got really nostalgic for the old Dojo times and the people who posted here so reached out and got in touch with a bunch of old members to catch up. I’ve probably spoke to about 30 odd people and 3/4 of them said they don’t post here anymore because they don’t feel welcome or had enough of people who had been here 5 minutes telling them how to act. Some of these people posted for over 10 years and they don’t feel welcome because they don’t think Shenmue is better then a naked Anna Kendrick. Just looking at the non Shenmue forums now is depressing as those things are what kept the community alive in the dead years.

Yet everything you list and claim as fact is opinion at the end of the day. Those 30 odd people I said I spoke to who posted here keeping the community alive, the majority who I’ve actually spoke to about the game don’t really like it that much and don’t feel like it’s what they loved about Shenmue.
I didn't realize I had joined a forum where newcomers would be treated with such disdain and suspicion. That was a nice speech but no way was I condemning passionate fans having an negative opinion about the game. I was attacking people who seem to be enjoying shitting on the game and personally insulting Yu Suzuki. I really can't understand how people can say the game does not resemble the Shenmue they love but I respect they have the right to express that. My problem is people screaming from the roof top that the game is crap which will just destroy the series. I'm sorry if you feel my presence contributes to the decline of this forum. If old guard veterans of the site want to shit on the game they have been waiting so long for then by all means do so. I won't stop you.

Shenmue is a reflection of ones inner self. Hence the allegories to the phoenix and dragon mirrors which obviously dont look like normal mirrors.

Some people look at Shenmue and see themselves mirroring back at them and they dont like what they see. So they bash the game. The game is a test of this. A test of patience. A test of inner reflection and self actualization. And they failed that test. This person you are replying to is such a person.

I like that this riveting lecture leads to you throwing in a factoid about how “da true fans don’t like Shenmue 3.” Nice one. Get over yourself.

This forum is dripping in criticism of this game and no one is running anyone off. You veterans keep telling yourselves it isn’t. Whatever works for you.

Well that's because they have different audiences. "Serious" critics tend to analyse the technical and artistic merits of a subject, whilst mainstream outlets focus more on the entertainment value.

Both approaches are perfectly valid, and people who read reviews to inform potential purchases usually do so from sources they have a consistent track record of agreeing with.

If you've experienced a piece of art or media, your personal opinion on the game is valid. That validity will never extend to why others disagree with you though. At all.

Points can be argued, debates can be constructive, but nobody can ever tell another that their enjoyment is down to blind fanboyism or their dislike is simply "haters being toxic".

Long story short: There's no conspiracy here, this topic was pointless prior to posting.

Back