Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

I found impressive how many sites are using the Espirral's artwork for their article header. Not sure they're aware this isn't official stuff lol.

Told myself I wasn't going to join Twitch chatrooms of people playing Shenmue because it'll lead to arguments with those very few critiquing the game.....but here we are..

I don't know how much the day one patch fixed but it definitely wasn't enough. I've also noticed basic mistakes when it comes to the french translation. It's great to play shenmue on ps4 but it needs a lot of fixing before I could even call it a decent port

I'm ecstatic with it. The game looks amazing to me after all these years. Even runs well on my old PC. Did get one crash when trying to play outrun.

And people talk about the slow pace of the game? It's a lot faster than I remember it. Already asking round for Charlie.

I don't know how much the day one patch fixed but it definitely wasn't enough. I've also noticed basic mistakes when it comes to the french translation. It's great to play shenmue on ps4 but it needs a lot of fixing before I could even call it a decent port

The game like any game released in this day and age is a work in progress. The more serious bugs will end up fixed in time while some minor ones probably never will.

Thi
The game like any game released in this day and age is a work in progress. The more serious bugs will end up fixed in time while some minor ones probably never will.
I would hope so, and I criticise any other game that releases with so many bugs. Also I really wouldn't say that most games release with as many bugs as I've encountered in shenmue hd, although shenmue hasn't crashed so far at least, so I will give it that.

Thi
I would hope so, and I criticise any other game that releases with so many bugs. Also I really wouldn't say that most games release with as many bugs as I've encountered in shenmue hd, although shenmue hasn't crashed so far at least, so I will give it that.

No worries. The game has had a bumpy start technically but it'll get smoothed out in time.

Nothing we can do if Metacritic allows this type of reviews:

View attachment 601
That's a bit of hyperbole. The way things are put (so-called remaster, barely a lousy port) is actually more typical of Metacritic user reviews. And as I wrote earlier, many game reviewers use their own definition of remaster which affects scores. On the other hand, I saw a few good in depth reviews from newcomers to the series on Steam. They had a bit more perspective and didn't expect the game to perform exactly as games released this year. For example mentioning the dated control scheme but adding that this was more common back then.

I was so sceptical leading up to this release and annoyed at Sega for not doing a proper remaster. However, it could just be my complete fan-boyism taking over but I can't help but feeling giddy having Shenmue on my 55inch TV. So many memories. Haven't played the game in 10 or so years yet I remember where everything is, all the lines etc.

One distracting thing I found was when looking around, the clouds seem to spin like crazy. Anyone else get that?

I just played the game for an hour so, through the first day. Got the info from Ajiichi about the 3 Blades before heading back home to save/bed.

Haven't encountered any bugs or issues except a weird rickety sound in the kitchen (maybe the fridge has a bad motor in the re-release?). Also, the scene with the old lady looking for a house didn't trigger for some reason, I always thought that occurred on Day 1.

Liking the new interface and have no issues personally with audio quality.

Not sure if I'll dedicate a ton of time to the game just yet. I've played these games so many times in my youth, I still know them like the back of my hand even though it's been awhile since I had a proper play-through. I don't see myself playing through them more than once each ahead of Shenmue III, so it might be closer to then that I really dive in.

Shenmue I & II is currently the top-selling game on Steam, complete with 89% positive reviews:

W1jHKge.png

Shenmue I & II is currently the top-selling game on Steam, complete with 89% positive reviews:

W1jHKge.png

It seems to be selling incredibly well. Sold out on Amazon UK, still in the top 10 for PS4 games on Amazon US and now number 1 on Steam.... :astonished:

Last edited:
Glad to see Shenmue is doing well !

Cleared both games on PS4. Like many of you I've had glitches here and there (specially while playing Shenmue Yokosuka, Shenmue II was okay). Some things have to be fixed but I am not too worried. Overall, I am very satisfied !

Gave Twitch a quick look and it's getting streamed a lot. Even DarkSydePhil is liking the game.

Gave Twitch a quick look and it's getting streamed a lot. Even DarkSydePhil is liking the game.

yeah its in the top 20 of all streamed games on Twitch right now with 8.500 people.
(actually its almost 10.000 if you count the other two Shenmue categories)

Back