Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Quite good considering the game has some bugs.

If there weren't those 6 points reviews (only 2), it would have a score around 8, too bad.

Haahaa Miller is a legend. Love his stuff he does for WhatCulture. Burns should have a review soon, I hope.

Before anyone gets mad at this, you are entirely missing the point of his character.

The thing to bare in mind with these reviews are some will review the game as is, some with its historical context and others will favour reviewing the port.

By all accounts it’s not the greatest effort and Shenmue 1 (as it’s based off the DC version rather than the S2x engine) has a lot of bugs. I’m happy with lower review scores that fault technical issues and/or limits to what they’ve included.

If there had been a bit more effort, say going for the full remaster I'd say you would see more 8s, maybe 9s out there.

I'm talking Remaster ala Dark Souls or FFX HD, not Remakemasters like SoTC.
Regarding remake/remaster. The gaming industry uses a vague definition compared to the audio/video world. There, remastering is (ideally) enhancing a product : change resolution, color/frequency balance, optimize playback on different systems, ... Not swapping out individual elements with newly created ones. A while ago I was asked to remaster a few albums. If bigger improvements weren't possible they would instead rerecord parts. No one thought of this as remastering. The same goes for movies. I haven't heard of shooting a scene again and inserting that in a movie for remastered versions. Within gaming, marketing departments used the terms more loosely which adds some confusion and made some reviewers judge remastered games based on different standards.

Haha that miller review was hilarious.. boring.. waste of time... not gears of war.. LOL

As expected, I couldn't find a review that wouldn't spout the same nonsense like the games not holding up because of tank controls, terrible voice acting and outdated graphics when talking about the cons, as if these games were made in 2018. I see no serious critique on game design or how the games stacked up against others of that same era at the very least, just that Yakuza has done better even though all the comparison I see around with these two series are mostly on the mini-games and the open-world aspect in an Asian setting.

I dare these gaming sites say the original Deus Ex is not still a 10/10 even though plenty of modern games adopted and refined all of its elements since then. Or how everyone's favorite Ocarina of Time is redundant now that we have Breath of the Wild. Yeah, not happening.

Last edited:
@Guppy

Exactly! They would never say ie. a MGS1 HD or a GTA3 HD “doesn’t hold up well to modern times” etc. Simply because those games were universally popular at the time.

But you know what, I kinda take it as also a compliment that they would even consider to try and compare it to modern games. Fact is Shenmue is STILL an impressive game on it’s own merits to this day. If it only had upgraded graphics and VO, I bet Shenmue would be lauded as modern masterpiece.

Last edited:
The reviews are what I expected, a high 70%.

Love to see that green color on Metacritic :cool:

Metacritic_Shenmue.jpg

Nothing we can do if Metacritic allows this type of reviews:

Shenmue_not_a_remaster.jpg

I mean, WTF man:

Shenmue_not_a_remaster_2.jpg

"Not Gears of War" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that video was side splitting. Shenmue: A Game For People With Out ADHD, so sit your squirmy ass down in that chair and play hang on and darts while you wait for the tattoo shop to open to meet charley.

Haahaa Miller is a legend. Love his stuff he does for WhatCulture. Burns should have a review soon, I hope.

Before anyone gets mad at this, you are entirely missing the point of his character.

His "7 reasons why Shenmue is not for real men" video never fails to crack me up!

Back