that Lan Di fight...

In terms of character model, design and actions Lan Di feels like a faithful continuation from the Dreamcast games. I’m so pleased we weren’t able to land a hit on him and the fight choreography was really on point.

I only wish in some ways since he again plays such a minimal role and essentially has a single scene he was hidden from the trailer material and his encounter was kept as a surprise. I also can’t imagine the build up and better setup had the Baisha chapter not been scrapped.

Only part of the whole Lan Di encounter/fight I didn't like were how his body guards get basically 0 screen time. I loved the character designs, would have loved longer QTEs against them. But yeah, this was definitely the way I wanted the game to end, down to the fact that Ryo still can't land a clean hit on Lan Di.

Agreed, their character designs were so good and their martial art styles so singular that I thought they would perfectly fit the Shenmue social tree.
shenmue fusion enlarged.jpg

Breaking in that room, at this anti-climactic moment of the story, was like entering a forbidden canon chapter, not Shenmue 3 but Shenmue 4 ending. It was extremely fascinating.

The gameplay was terrible, the humor annoying, the backer NPCs awful and the part badly suffered from Baisha's cut. But putting that aside, I loved it.

Last edited:
Part of it was released (up to Shenmue II) by Muecas on Shenmue.com after II released. @Kiyuu translated it. Snippets of parts we haven't seen are in other videos of the making of the first two games, but are way too low quality to get anything from.

The large image above is from a Kickstarter update that posted a picture of the dev room and this character tree was posted in the very back, again, too low quality once we zoomed in to tell much about it....but, some speculation can be made.

Whaaaaat?! I'm starting to think I'm the only person that really loved the gameplay in Shenmue 3. Also I loved Ren kicking the cocky JKD guy in the face; burst out laughing at that bit.

I gives you the point for the moment as I've yet to play the end at harder difficulty.

Last edited:
Also I loved Ren kicking the cocky JKD guy in the face; burst out laughing at that bit.
Maybe I'm living up to my title but that scene annoyed me more than anything.
Ren, who doesn't practice kung fu at all, effortlessly destroys Lan Di's personal guards.. so why are they Lan Di's personal guards?

Who says they are his personal guards?
I interpreted the ending scene that Lan Di was meeting with subordinates when Ryo and Ren burst in. Lan Di doesn't consider Ryo a threat at all, giving the nod to the three guys to take him out.
He even looks and acts surprised and says " I see you've gotten better " after they have been defeated before Ryo takes him on.
The actual fight proves Lan Di was right, Ryo is no threat to him.

There would be zero reason for Lan Di to just be chilling at the top of the castle on his own. The meeting makes sense.

Also, Ren proves in II he is a capable fighter when he takes on the Chi You Men suited guards on the rooftop when Ryo confronts Don Niu. And when he beats loads of them up while ascending the Yellow Head building. I would also have thought to be the leader of a gang that runs an entire wharf that he'd have to be a decent fighter. Not to mention that whole scene is a nod to Indiana Jones when he comes across the expert swordsman and Indy just shoots the guy.

Last edited:
Back