General Impressions

You can just circle/strafe to an extent, wait for the character’s combo to finish, then immediately hit them with a move off your AT. Keep in mind you will want to cycle through them because they will start to block repeated moves.
Exactly, blocking and dodging/circling are your best friends when fighting in Shenmue.

Bought a ton of Snake Tonics for the Ge fight. Only ended up using one like was giving.
Beyond that I thought Shenmue 3's climax was fine. Minus the QTE against Lan Di's goons, and the weird comedy scenes, and ESPECIALLY that side quest.

Platinum of this awesome game acquired!

T9RkmxW.jpg

I'm ready for the next game, Yu-sensei!

Last edited:
So, i finally had the time to play the game and i actually finished it!

They absolutely nailed the skeleton of the series and some of its vital organs: Bailu and Niaowu were wonderful to look at, and they had plenty of side activities to offer, and there was a lot of great potential.
Of course, like i'm sure everyone has already said, it lacked most of the real meat.
I would've actually been more than fine with having a smaller scale, less epic story about Ryo traveling around, meeting people and powering up if the game actually gave me any form of character fleshing out, story set pieces, cut scenes and actual stuff going on in return, and it's really hard to argue that everything about this aspect didn't feel severely undercooked and rushed.

I actually liked the ending quite a bit, i can see why it left the "i just want to beat up Lan Di and be over with it" crowd unhappy, but it left me super hyped for the next game, that at this point HAS to raise the scope, the quality of the story and its stakes no matter what.

Overall, i liked for what it was: clearly not a full fledged, high budget classic Shenmue game but rather a solid foundation for what is going to (hopefully) come next.

So, i finally had the time to play the game and i actually finished it!

They absolutely nailed the skeleton of the series and some of its vital organs: Bailu and Niaowu were wonderful to look at, and they had plenty of side activities to offer, and there was a lot of great potential.
Of course, like i'm sure everyone has already said, it lacked most of the real meat.
I would've actually been more than fine with having a smaller scale, less epic story about Ryo traveling around, meeting people and powering up if the game actually gave me any form of character fleshing out, story set pieces, cut scenes and actual stuff going on in return, and it's really hard to argue that everything about this aspect didn't feel severely undercooked and rushed.

I actually liked the ending quite a bit, i can see why it left the "i just want to beat up Lan Di and be over with it" crowd unhappy, but it left me super hyped for the next game, that at this point HAS to raise the scope, the quality of the story and its stakes no matter what.

Overall, i liked for what it was: clearly not a full fledged, high budget classic Shenmue game but rather a solid foundation for what is going to (hopefully) come next.

You are of the same mentality that I am.

As I've said (50,000 times lol), 4's story will be beyond awesome.

Hey guys, what do you think?

First of all, let me tell you that Shenmue 3 has been an amazing experience, in which we can feel all care and love put on the production of this piece!
However, on behalf of fans of this sries, I would like to request a solution for a technical problem, if possible.

The PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game have a varying framrate between 35 to 50 frames per second and that end up creating an inconsistency in the game's smoothness, thus bothering a lot fans that only have the console versions.

We believe if it was possible to add an option to lock that frames at a 30FPS rate, we would surely have an even greater experience!

I'd like to thank master Yu Suzuki and all the team for bringing us the game that was all fan's dream!
Thank you!

The PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game have a varying framrate between 35 to 50 frames per second and that end up creating an inconsistency in the game's smoothness, thus bothering a lot fans that only have the console versions.

We believe if it was possible to add an option to lock that frames at a 30FPS rate, we would surely have an even greater experience!

I'd like to thank master Yu Suzuki and all the team for bringing us the game that was all fan's dream!
Thank you!

John from Digital Foundry mentioned this in his technical review but depending on what version of Unreal Engine it was developed for a 30FPS performance mode may introduce uneven frame pacing so that might not solve issue as many of us hoped.

Otherwise it’s a glaring omission and makes me want to replay game on beefy PC so I can enjoy the extra fluidity at 60 FPS.

If you are interested see video below at 18 minute mark-

John from Digital Foundry mentioned this in his technical review but depending on what version of Unreal Engine it was developed for a 30FPS performance mode may introduce uneven frame pacing so that might not solve issue as many of us hoped.

Otherwise it’s a glaring omission and makes me want to replay game on beefy PC so I can enjoy the extra fluidity at 60 FPS.

If you are interested see video below at 18 minute mark-

i can confirm as someone who owns the game on a base PS4 and a half decent PC, the difference is night and day. I honestly couldn't get more than a few hours into the game on PS4, but on PC is was smooth as silk.

Im on new game plus, playing through Bailu village for the third time. This game is amazing. Yu Suzuki should be dubbed the six million dollar man, because he made an awesome sequel for a mere $6million. This game is by no means indie.

As for the story, Shenmue III is a collection of stories. Every character has a story , that is what makes the game come alive. Have you done the quest for Su Wenxu ( Master Sun's friend). He ragails you with tall tales from his past. Regardless of what you think of the voice acting, its astounding how much spoken dialog was recorded for this game. Its on par with Shenmue 1 and 2, especially Bailu. In Niaowu, there are a percentage of pedestrians you cant talk to, but in Bailu, you can talk to EVERY towns person, just like Shenmue 1 and 2. Freaking love it.

I really like the combat, it has a lot of potential. The rag doll physics are great, and I like the varied hit-stun reactions. Some attacks cause more stun than others. So you set up strategies to lead off with the heavy-stun attacks, so you can follow up with combos. You can lure enemies to the wall, then evade and wall-splat them and follow up with mid hitting attacks that will hit them while they are slumped on the wall. If and when they add throws to the game in Shenmue IV, I may take weeks to get the story done since I will be spending so much time fighting.

The game is very immersive, so much so, I get so caught up in adventuring , I may be reluctant to stop at the dojo and spar, because Im busy following up on quest or advancing the story. Its like I get caught up living in the world, and all the activities keep me going in a routine I enjoy. Great freaking game, it proves we can get an excellent sequel off Kickstarter crowdfunding. We fans can keep Shenmue alive! We don't need the suits that didnt get Shenmues vision all these years. If Shenmue IV and V are done off Kickstarter, I would be satisfied.

Last edited:
Im on new game plus, playing through Bailu village for the third time. This game is amazing. Yu Suzuki should be dubbed the six million dollar man, because he made an awesome sequel for a mere $6million. This game is by no means indie.
Glad you're enjoying the game for a 3rd time. I will experience my 3rd play on PC (1st time on PC) when I go through 1-3 back to back sometime soon. Might even crack on with some of it today. Bailu is for me the best section of Shenmue III. There's something about it that pulls you in and makes you want to spend your time there, taking part in daily life.

In terms of budget he had more than $6 million. Crowdfunding after the slacker backer finished at $7.1 million and we estimate private funding (Deep Silver and Shibuya) came in at around $5million so a total $12 million budget. Either way to get the game we did on the budget they had was, in my opinion very good. It provides a solid base for a Shenmue IV and there are some nice story moments in Shenmue III, just not as many as even I as someone who defends this franchise regularly would like.

I like Niaowu too , don't get me wrong, especially with the Story DlC and the Big Merry Cruise DLC, its freaking awesome. Its just the Shenmue purist in me wants to talk to EVERY NPC, and hear what interesting regional cultural info they might gave, or some more of Yu Suzuki's wacky humor. When I ran through Niaowu the second time, I was basically rich, so I didnt have to work and just progress through the story. The story mode doesnt seem as sparse as it did the first time, because it flowed from beginning to end with no work interuptions. I like the M. Night Shaylaman angle of Niao Sun hiding in plain sight. In NG+ I talked to her more and looked around for her. She warns you while moving forward dont lose sight of who's close to you. A clear veiled threat against Shenhua.

There are some more cool parts with the rich couple you can find if you wander around, I actually took the time to play Chobu fighter its actually fun. During my new game plus playthrough, Mr Dejing taught me the Brawlers Uppercut 2! Its the move you see him demonstrate to the Hotel clerk. With little touches like that, Shenmue III is easily on par with the first two. Mr Dejing even gives you step instructions to do the move, like Tom and Master Chen used to do in Shenmue 1. A++.

Last edited:
I didn't mind not being able to talk to every character in Shenmue 2. Because of the sizes of the cities it didn't seem plausible. Just like a real city I'm sure not everyone would stop and talk with you.

I didn't mind not being able to talk to every character in Shenmue 2. Because of the sizes of the cities it didn't seem plausible. Just like a real city I'm sure not everyone would stop and talk with you.

Pleeease. Get out.

Xiu Yang - Shenmue Wiki - Neoseeker

Last edited:
I started playing the game again.

I started this game back in February, figured I'd have it finished by the end of that month, but I just didn't like it. By March I ended up taking a break, which lasted for about a full month, so that's where I am now.

I think I'll start posting in here about my thoughts on the game. I want to post a trigger warning though for everyone: Whatever I say about this game is not a personal attack, and every criticism does not need to be defended. These will be my opinions. And I'll warn you, I have nothing positive to say about this game.

If I can find some time I'll try to go back in this topic and read some other peoples impressions, but I'll be in here mostly to post my own.

I think I'll start posting in here about my thoughts on the game. I want to post a trigger warning though for everyone: Whatever I say about this game is not a personal attack, and every criticism does not need to be defended. These will be my opinions. And I'll warn you, I have nothing positive to say about this game.

If I can find some time I'll try to go back in this topic and read some other peoples impressions, but I'll be in here mostly to post my own.

Thank you for proving my point that critics cannot handle criticism of their opinions. When you put your opinions onto a public forum, you are inviting people to challenge you. If you don't want to be challenged, then don't post your opinions. Also people have interpreted what you say as a personal attack because of the aggressive nature of some of your posts, not because you have a negative opinion on Shenmue III.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really a big fan of Shenmue III either. I honestly didn't find the game as compelling as the first two. However that doesn't mean your negative opinion is above reproach.

I started playing the game again.

I started this game back in February, figured I'd have it finished by the end of that month, but I just didn't like it. By March I ended up taking a break, which lasted for about a full month, so that's where I am now.

That's fine criticisms are welcome as they always have been.

However people are welcome to defend the game if they want to. This is a public forum and thus you're inviting your posts to be queried and discussed as is anyone else defending or criticising the game.

Also think about posting style, each complaint comes off as trying to wind people up and your post just proves that by basically saying "don't criticise my views". Your views are accepted but you will have to accept scrutiny of such views as any of us do when we post.

That's fine criticisms are welcome as they always have been.

However people are welcome to defend the game if they want to. This is a public forum and thus you're inviting your posts to be queried and discussed as is anyone else defending or criticising the game.

Also think about posting style, each complaint comes off as trying to wind people up and your post just proves that by basically saying "don't criticise my views". Your views are accepted but you will have to accept scrutiny of such views as any of us do when we post.
Yeah. If someone posts say a quality of life opinion of Shenmue III, someone may post a solution for it, or another perspective on it.
I would suggest Thomasina play Shenmue 1 and 2 HD remake on PS4, and if you actually hate those, rethink continuing to play Shenmue III. 3 is so consistent with 1 and 2, its hard to dislike it, if you loved the others.

The point was there's some people on this board who respond every single time I post, and who seem to think I'm just here to troll. I will try to word my posts in a way that doesn't upset anyone but it will be difficult because I think S3 is absolute garbage.

Yeah. If someone posts say a quality of life opinion of Shenmue III, someone may post a solution for it, or another perspective on it.
I would suggest Thomasina play Shenmue 1 and 2 HD remake on PS4, and if you actually hate those, rethink continuing to play Shenmue III. 3 is so consistent with 1 and 2, its hard to dislike it, if you loved the others.
I have played them, last fall. I also played S1 on DC in probably 2000, and S2 on XBOX when that released. I adore them. They are magical creations. For me S3 has nothing in common with them but the name.

Back