General Impressions

Wish there were both. When grinding for raffle in Yokosuka, i wish there was the menu system...
I think that this is also part of the reason for the new menu system. There is such a huge amount of items for sale at the shops in Shenmue III that even if they did place 3D models of all of them on the shelves, it would be quite inconvenient to have to actually zoom in on them and go through them all the old way.

Or, the old way would even be best option if it were sped up like capsules and even Shen2 shopping, honestly.

Toy capsules were a perfect speed in Hong Kong, bit of a slog in Yokosuka, but also less items to get so it is a wash as far as I'm concerned. The Gacha collecting is even quicker in Shen3, which I LOVED and was one of my random wishes I didn't think would actually happen :D

Make the shopping similar more to Shen2, which is a bit streamlined much like the gacha machines did, too.

Ideally, I would love to have an hybrid of both store systems,
where it work like Sh3's menu system, but you select your items like in Sh1&2.

I mean, probably, with a way to splash the sh3 menu over,
but, you would stay locked on the shelves moving left-righ/up-down between items.

In short, the Sh3 system, but with a 1st person view of browsing the item grid/shelves.
But, yeah, it is a fine mental concept that would cost a lot for little gain,
as you can imagine the scene just fine, given that
Sh3 offers the ability to look around the shops, while not making a purchase.

One thing I don’t understand was adding that dumb camera effect when you zoom in. Yu was trying to go for realism, so why put a big dumb box and crosshairs when you want to zoom and take in the scenery? Hopefully they fix this with a patch. It adds nothing to the game.

I think that this is also part of the reason for the new menu system. There is such a huge amount of items for sale at the shops in Shenmue III that even if they did place 3D models of all of them on the shelves, it would be quite inconvenient to have to actually zoom in on them and go through them all the old way.
It could be like S1 and S2 where after zooming in on one item you use the dpad to navigate around the various items. The stores would need a bit of rearranging but it would add to the realism.

One thing I don’t understand was adding that dumb camera effect when you zoom in. Yu was trying to go for realism, so why put a big dumb box and crosshairs when you want to zoom and take in the scenery? Hopefully they fix this with a patch. It adds nothing to the game.

you... are aware you can turn it off in the main menu, right?

Turn off 'zoom' in options. No patch required.

This is what happens when you are old. I’ll have to check it out later. Thanks for the advice :oops:

It’s a shame it is set on default. I’ve watched too many playthroughs and videos online and players haven’t been aware they can disabled it. Frankly it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Now if only they gave us a patch to minimize or hide all the HUD elements.

Last edited:
I hadn't yet played Shenmue III for a few reasons (some practical, some personal, all silly), but my wife convinced me I should dive it. Initial impression after a few hours: it really, really adheres to the original style. I mean, if I didn't know any better, I could almost be convinced Shenmue III was made for the Dreamcast, and this is simply a gorgeous graphical remaster.

I mean this in the best possible way, of course!

It does probably help that I'm coming to the party after a few patches. I'm quite tempted to install that "Misc Fixes" mod, but figure my first playthrough will be vanilla.

This is what happens when you are old. I’ll have to check it out later. Thanks for the advice :oops:
To be fair, it's not very clear what it does when you see it there in the options menu. It's just called "Zoom" and there's no explanatory text underneath when you select it either. It's definitely a shame that they chose to have it turned on by default and some people will never realize that it can be turned off.

Ok, I'm going to start posting my thoughts in this topic. Here we go...

This game needs a pause button, no matter what I'm doing in the game. It's really obnoxious to be doing a job or task and if I need to pause to attend to something (such as a toddler) then that would be great. Instead, unless I'm missing something, the only option is to cancel what you're currently doing. That occurred today during chopping wood, forklift driving, fighting at the rose garden and doing rooster step. I needed to pause during all of these and didn't have that ability.

Modern gaming, especially if your core audience is adults, needs a pause button. It's mandatory. I could pause in Shenmue 1 and 2, why not 3?

Ok, I'm going to start posting my thoughts in this topic. Here we go...

This game needs a pause button, no matter what I'm doing in the game. It's really obnoxious to be doing a job or task and if I need to pause to attend to something (such as a toddler) then that would be great. Instead, unless I'm missing something, the only option is to cancel what you're currently doing. That occurred today during chopping wood, forklift driving, fighting at the rose garden and doing rooster step. I needed to pause during all of these and didn't have that ability.

Modern gaming, especially if your core audience is adults, needs a pause button. It's mandatory. I could pause in Shenmue 1 and 2, why not 3?
You can pull up the Help menu by pressing Y (on Xbox controller) which will pause the game but this is not intuitive with the 30+ years of gaming tradition where the start button pauses.

I think it's funny that the game has you confirm if you want to buy a banana but will cancel an entire job no questions asked.

The thing that ticked me off the most was accidentally ending a side mission because I talked to the kid who wanted the white fishing lure a second time because I forgot I'd spoken to him. For some reason talking to other side story NPCs twice didn't cancel missions.

The thing that ticked me off the most was accidentally ending a side mission because I talked to the kid who wanted the white fishing lure a second time because I forgot I'd spoken to him. For some reason talking to other side story NPCs twice didn't cancel missions.

Yeah I failed a side mission because I was completely lost and was hoping to get more information from the character, yet Ryo said he couldn’t find item and the side quest was listed as failed in Notebook.

Like you said it seems not to be the case with all side quests. It’s just another element in game that wasn’t polished.

I hadn't yet played Shenmue III for a few reasons (some practical, some personal, all silly), but my wife convinced me I should dive it. Initial impression after a few hours: it really, really adheres to the original style. I mean, if I didn't know any better, I could almost be convinced Shenmue III was made for the Dreamcast, and this is simply a gorgeous graphical remaster.

I mean this in the best possible way, of course!

It does probably help that I'm coming to the party after a few patches. I'm quite tempted to install that "Misc Fixes" mod, but figure my first playthrough will be vanilla.

Hmm, I don't know. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after a few more hours play. I found that it actually removed or changed a lot of things I liked best about the original games. That's not to say there isn't still a lot that's still in there, but I feel like side by side in any era the first two games were a lot better.

As for the store menu etc discussion: I kind of don't get why the stores even exist. In Shenmue 1 you had the novelty of winning cans and the vending machine added a nice flavour of the era/location. The stamina system in Shenmue III is just anti-fun and it seems like it's only there to give more purpose for stores to sell food. Then you have them selling knick-knacks and stuff which really don't seem to serve a purpose?

That's the thing about Niaowu that I really dislike. I just don't get why they dedicated so many resources to these shops that seem to serve so little purpose. There are a dozen other ways to make money in the game. The items are the least interesting and convenient way to do it. I don't really like hitting up all the bars and shops in Yakuza either, but at least there's a point system for completing objectives like that.

That's the thing about Niaowu that I really dislike. I just don't get why they dedicated so many resources to these shops that seem to serve so little purpose. There are a dozen other ways to make money in the game. The items are the least interesting and convenient way to do it. I don't really like hitting up all the bars and shops in Yakuza either, but at least there's a point system for completing objectives like that.
I liked visiting the bars in Yokuza because it was like being a tourist and getting to feel the atmosphere. Most of the time spent in the shops in S3 is staring at a inventory menu.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after a few more hours play. I found that it actually removed or changed a lot of things I liked best about the original games. That's not to say there isn't still a lot that's still in there, but I feel like side by side in any era the first two games were a lot better.

As for the store menu etc discussion: I kind of don't get why the stores even exist. In Shenmue 1 you had the novelty of winning cans and the vending machine added a nice flavour of the era/location. The stamina system in Shenmue III is just anti-fun and it seems like it's only there to give more purpose for stores to sell food. Then you have them selling knick-knacks and stuff which really don't seem to serve a purpose?
I'm up to about four hours of playtime. So far I'm still quite enjoying, but I know I'm early still. I'm hoping to nab several hours this weekend, but it will depend on how much time life wants to let me have with it! :tearsofjoy:

For my tastes, if there are lots of obscure/hidden interactions with the various locales, I'll be pretty pleased. Shenmue I was incredible for that. II initially disappointed me on that front... until I realize how much was actually there, just even more obscured with the bigger locales and such. I'm hoping for a similar amount of character depth in III. So far, I'm loving the interactions between the two mains. Ryo is still Ryo, but showing a bit more personality--it's cool to see!

Jumping in on the second paragraph: I'm typically very, very anti-stamina-systems. I don't feel thus far like it's added anything beyond a minor annoyance when I have to limit my sprinting to bursts.

Back