Recent content by catonkatonk

1. C

Random Shenmue Thoughts

So uh. This was the last place I expected to see a Shenmue reference: (about six minutes in)
  2. C

Why do parts of Wan Chai look so run down ?

Kowloon Walled City (which I believe is what you mean by simply "Kowloon" - the rest of Kowloon looks nothing like the Walled City!) can't be an example of that because it was only technically British "owned" (to you use your word!) between 1912-1941. Before and after, it was considered Chinese...
  3. C

Looking for controller advice for the PC

The input images would be part of the driver, not provided by the controller or its ROM. And Microsoft are the only ones that can arbitrate it, as they're the ones both certify drivers and create the APIs that games use in Windows. Microsoft did create an API for all sorts of controllers as part...
  4. C

Looking for controller advice for the PC

Microsoft really should make controller awareness a thing in Windows. IE, a controller driver has to declare its inputs (and provide bitmaps of each button), while a game developer can you give you the option to bind controls to a specific input (with the associated bitmap). On-screen prompts...
  5. C

Revealed: Sega's cancelled Shenmue HD remake - with fully updated graphics (EuroGamer) Update 16/10 - Sega respond

They were working on this, apparently: I mean, it seems to me that this port was initially incredibly ambitious, way beyond any of us could have expected. While I said earlier that I don't consider it a "remake", I don't mean to downplay the work involved. Even modernising the rendering while...
  6. C

Revealed: Sega's cancelled Shenmue HD remake - with fully updated graphics (EuroGamer) Update 16/10 - Sega respond

d3t's work here is outstanding and, imo, very faithful to the original. And there was a toggle switch to appease those who wouldn't agree!!!! Which, in itself, is remarkable. It looks like they got unstuck on the NPCs, which, really, shouldn't be a surprise. It appears to be difficult to make...
  7. C

Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm one of those and I still backed! But "kickstarting" things in general is pretty niche, even if you're interested in the product. You're basically acting like an investor, with all of the risk and none of the financial reward.
  8. C

You have a chance to remake Shenmue. What do you change?

I've always wanted the game to start earlier, like the day after Ryo's father died. You'd be restricted to the residence for the first day (allowing you to explore it, and experience the flashbacks - the flashback where child!Ryo is learning that move under the tree should be playable as a way...
  9. C

Red Dead Redemption 2 - From a Shenmue perspective

Interesting. I was surprised to recently learn that no game had attempted to do the "living NPC" thing since Shenmue and Majora's Mask. It instantly killed any desire I had to catch up on the nearly two decades of gaming that I've missed. So this is a good sign. Shenmue was a future promised...
  10. C

KS Update #92; Surveys #6 A thank you from Yu Suzuki and final survey deadline!

I didn't realise that it wouldn't allow me to just partially complete the survey. I actually don't want to put a message in the guestbooks or have my picture in the game! Hmm. If anyone wants these rewards, drop me a PM. Edit: Got a couple of interested parties already.
  11. C

IGN Reporting Bugs - Dojo cited.

It does seem like an extraordinary long amount of time. On the other hand, the patches so far have demonstrated that delaying just a couple of months would have resulted in a dramatically better shipping product. It's weird. What do we know, though? 1. The source code provided to d3t was...
  12. C

IGN Reporting Bugs - Dojo cited.

I assume most of us are in our thirties at least. We're too damn old to be this dramatic over some buggy ports. Calling it a "disaster", acting personally aggrieved over it, attacking the staff that made it happen, all of this is incomprehensible to me. For me, it's not just the nastiness of...
  13. C

General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Clearly he is one of the leaders of the Chi You Men and is following Ryo. Also I don't understand the argument that character schedules wouldn't be realistic in Hong Kong. Yes, seeing the same people in the same place every day is (somewhat) unrealistic in a big city. However, if the...
  14. C

What sequels would you like to see next?

Chrono Trigger/Cross.
  15. C

Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't understand what would be censored? Shenmue paints Chinese history and culture in a positive light already.
Back