Random Shenmue III Thoughts

When do you think we'll see another update?

Maybe this deserves its own thread but I’m not sure so I’m posting this here:

Any theories as to why more people who bought Shenmue 1 and 2 upon its first release didn’t back the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and slacker backer projects?

Shenmue shifted 1.2-4 million copies (correct me if I’m wrong) and both Shenmue 1 and 2 received positive reviews so can we not then assume that at least half of those who bought the games enjoyed them?

If so, then that’s over half a million people who enjoyed the games. And yet the combined number of backers was around 80,000.

So what happened to all of those people who enjoyed the games?

I can only assume that they lost interest in the series as incredulous as that may be.

Any theories as to why more people who bought Shenmue 1 and 2 upon its first release didn’t back the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and slacker backer projects?

Shenmue shifted 1.2-4 million copies (correct me if I’m wrong) and both Shenmue 1 and 2 received positive reviews so can we not then assume that at least half of those who bought the games enjoyed them?

If so, then that’s over half a million people who enjoyed the games. And yet the combined number of backers was around 80,000.

I can only assume that they lost interest in the series as incredulous as that may be.
Probably over half the people who bought the game in 1999 no longer play video games.

I'm one of those and I still backed!

But "kickstarting" things in general is pretty niche, even if you're interested in the product. You're basically acting like an investor, with all of the risk and none of the financial reward.

Don't forget: "That creepy skinhead, he took him out to the ship," referring to Chai having an interaction with Lan Di before the latter set off for Hong Kong, which means it is entirely possible Chai informed Lan Di of Ryo's possession of the Phoenix Mirror at this time. Unless Chai simply wished to present the Mirror to him in a surprise fashion himself? The latter would certainly have more of an impact than simply informing Lan Di of the Mirror being in Ryo's possession.

Which begs the question: if Lan Di knew of this, why did he not kill Ryo atop the Yellow Head Building and take the Mirror? Perhaps Lan Di knows Ryo will continue to pursue him - he went as far as Hong Kong, then Kowloon, and I'm guessing he suspects Ryo will find his way to Guilin, too - and, under the assumption Yuanda Zhu told Ryo the truth about the Mirrors (which he, himself, isn't privvy to) following the events atop the building, plans to cut out the middle-man and kill two birds with one stone by biding his time, waiting for Ryo to confront him face-to-face, at which point he will take the Mirror and squeeze the truth out of Ryo, possibly with a friend's (read: Ren's) life on the line, mirroring (no pun intended) Iwao giving up the location of the Dragon Mirror in exchange for Ryo's life.

Thoughts?

I could actually see this happening.

I'd say it's fine here. If there's a lengthy discussion on it then maybe it does.

Good point though.

It's very feasible that over half of people who would have been interested just don't know.

Maybe around 10 years ago I realized that some people I knew who were big gamers don't actual follow any gaming news sources and just learn about popular games via word of mouth and advertising. I would talk about upcoming titles I was excited about and they hadn't even heard of them, despite being familiar with and sharing common interest with past titles. This is especially true with people who have families now; I know several people who own PS4's and play occasionally in their spare time but otherwise don't have time to participate in online communities and such.

We've already seen this situation already here - there have been a few people who popped up over the past couple years that didn't know Shenmue III was happening and discovered it recently. Even recently in the promotion of Shenmue I & II there was a tweet by Masaya Matsukaze where he was at some kind of Comic Con and met people who didn't know about the re-releases. The remaining people, if they find out, may not be until the news crosses paths with them. That potentially may not be until the game is actually released and advertised in mainstream media.

There is not much you can do to help in that case, other than subtle reminders to people in your own way. I've gotten positive reactions over the years from random people when I wear my Dreamcast T-Shirt for example. I'm hoping I like the kickstarter shirt for Shenmue III so that I can wear that sometimes.

I could actually see this happening.
Wouldn't be the first example of thematic mirroring in the series, that's for sure.

- Patricide
- Orphans (as far as we know)
- Son seeking revenge on their father's murderer
- Traveling to faraway lands in search of their goal
- Role-reversal (i.e., Ryo, using Hazuki-style jujitsu, defeating Master Baihu, a master of Tiger Swallow Style, the same martial art that killed his father)

There must be some I'm missing...

When do you think we'll see another update?
I assume at the end of this month we should have another update announcing how far we went with the pledges and if we beat another stretch goal.
It'd be nice to have some screenshots along with the update and some info.

Apart from this, I don't expect another big update until end of the year. I can't see the day in which we see gameplay at last..

It's very feasible that over half of people who would have been interested just don't know.
Maybe around 10 years ago I realized that some people I knew who were big gamers don't actual follow any gaming news sources and just learn about popular games via word of mouth and advertising. I would talk about upcoming titles I was excited about and they hadn't even heard of them, despite being familiar with and sharing common interest with past titles. This is especially true with people who have families now; I know several people who own PS4's and play occasionally in their spare time but otherwise don't have time to participate in online communities and such.
We've already seen this situation already here - there have been a few people who popped up over the past couple years that didn't know Shenmue III was happening and discovered it recently. Even recently in the promotion of Shenmue I & II there was a tweet by Masaya Matsukaze where he was at some kind of Comic Con and met people who didn't know about the re-releases. The remaining people, if they find out, may not be until the news crosses paths with them. That potentially may not be until the game is actually released and advertised in mainstream media.
There is not much you can do to help in that case, other than subtle reminders to people in your own way. I've gotten positive reactions over the years from random people when I wear my Dreamcast T-Shirt for example. I'm hoping I like the kickstarter shirt for Shenmue III so that I can wear that sometimes.

If many of those who played Shenmue 1 and 2 when they were first released don’t know about Shenmue 3 then that’s such a shame.

Just imagine if, late next year, some of them happen to be browsing around in a games store looking to buy a game for their kids and they see Shenmue 3 on the shelf!

By law of averages that’s bound to happen. I wish I could see the look on their faces lol.

I think you’re right, I don’t think they’ve kept abreast of the latest news in gaming or maybe they’re just not gamers anymore.

If news spreads about Shenmue 3 upon release then maybe many of those who played S1&2 way back will want to buy S3. Here’s hoping!

Last edited:
Honestly, how many of those people even played Shenmue II for one since it only got a European and Japanese release? I was thinking most of those people have no idea or clue of the kickstarter or as one person said don't even play games anymore or only casually play modern stuff from time to time but don't pay attention to gaming news. I think it is both.

Many of them many only will notice Shenmue 3's existence when it is actually in stores I imagine if that. It honestly doesn't surprise me that the turnout for the kickstarter is what it was because I was thinking the same.

Not sure about you guys, but i’m thinking about the game every day at this point.

Its been basically 2 months of no news, im dying to see a gameplay trailer or something, i need this game!

Not sure about you guys, but i’m thinking about the game every day at this point.

Its been basically 2 months of no news, im dying to see a gameplay trailer or something, i need this game!

I bet this happens to almost all of us!
I'd like to know what will be the shedule from now on...they have to finish recording voices, optimize the code, debugging, testing, make copies of the games, send the material to backers...
When they need to finish the game before send it to retailers?

I bet this happens to almost all of us!
I'd like to know what will be the shedule from now on...they have to finish recording voices, optimize the code, debugging, testing, make copies of the games, send the material to backers...
When they need to finish the game before send it to retailers?
They should go Gold around mid/end July 2019 to go to retail and probably use August to release a Day 1 patch

They should go Gold around mid/end July 2019 to go to retail and probably use August to release a Day 1 patch
That's a controversial statement right there 'day 1 patch'. ;)

I'm keen to see the final total and also some new screens. I would love some gameplay but I can't see us seeing that until 2019 and I'm thinking maybe even Magic or beyond.

That's a controversial statement right there 'day 1 patch'. ;)

I'm keen to see the final total and also some new screens. I would love some gameplay but I can't see us seeing that until 2019 and I'm thinking maybe even Magic or beyond.
It is possible to not have it and that they have everything at perfect state by the time the discs are printed, but I don't recall when was the last time in this Generation that when buying a new title without having one, even if it is just for minor fixes. Day 1 (or Patch1) does not always means that the title is broken, but is kind of today's standard.

I hope they don't patch the game right away after the release, it doesn't sound too good. Suzuki is old school like Miyamoto, he must launch a game optimized and bug free like in the old good days of Dreamcast.

Suzuki sure does know how to not spoil the story/game, he doesn't show anything about gameplay and gives few info about this or some other aspect of the game.
So many questions!

It is possible to not have it and that they have everything at perfect state by the time the discs are printed, but I don't recall when was the last time in this Generation that when buying a new title without having one, even if it is just for minor fixes. Day 1 (or Patch1) does not always means that the title is broken, but is kind of today's standard.
Agreed and you're definately right. Every game going gets a patch these days.

Was me being cheeky more than anything. Don't want you thinking I was having a pop or anything like that.

Back