Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Now that Shenmue 3 will be out in less than a year what kind of development in the game they do last?

Polishing and bug fixing, I believe.
Does that means the game is playable from start to finish but with bug and they have the ending ready?

Does that means the game is playable from start to finish but with bug and they have the ending ready?
I can only speculate, but I would estimate the groundwork for the game (minus all the bells, whistles, and polish) is quite well laid-out at present. Obviously the plot and story are set in stone, but those are separate entities to the technical side.

Playable from start to finish? Sort of, but with bumps and plenty of unfinished parts along the way.

How is it possible that we still haven't heard an inkling from YSNet regarding the final fundraising total?! They had better make an announcement at TGS.

How is it possible that we still haven't heard an inkling from YSNet regarding the final fundraising total?! They had better make an announcement at TGS.

Actually it is quite possible though I admit I'd like communication around it.

They could be finishing the game and getting it all ready.

Also it is worth remembering that surveys don't lock until Sept 30th and people can still upgrade until this point. So announcing a total now would be madness as it could easily change. I'd expect an update after this point.

Saying they had better update at TGS is unwarranted and comes off as slightly threatening.

in shenmue3, ryo needs the ability to use one of these, so we can change the background music to tapes we have bought in game. - -

db32836a50efe8873e366804541177e6.jpg

I've always thought about Shenmue 3's date being retconned to bring Ryo into the modern era. He adds Lan Di on Facebook on his Chai alt account and finds out that he's only a mile away from him. The game ends in 20 minutes.

I'm kinda afraid of YS auto censoring the game.
I was a little afraid for a while a couple of years ago, when the SJWs were crying all day and a lot of devs capitulated (and a lot of japanese devs caving in due to "cultural differences").
For a time japanese games were going to the drain, but after they went "fuck it" they started getting a resurgence (I'm really thinking about nier and yakuza).
So I'm not that afraid of that, but now I'm actually afraid of the game being pushed into the Chinese market, and that's a clusterfuck of censoring (specially for a game set in China I would guess).
I guess they can just release a Chinese censored version, but also I think they might think of the game with the chinese market restrictions in mind and design around that.

For one niao sun tits/sexuality:
There's an example of the stuff they censored in FFXV (including revealing outfits/skeletons for some reason).
Also coming from Japan (bad history between countries), and with a chinese setting might even put to a bigger examination than other games.
A lot of places in SIII are not really wealthy places, specially in the 80s, and portraying them as poor might be seen as ofensive (I remember in the old forum there was this thread about how China was portrayed as a dangerous place made by someone, specially in the comment "china is not japan, you'll get mugged if you sleep outside").
Also portraying any of the communist influence or imagery in bad light (or hell, even in neutral light), might be seen as inapropiate.

I don't know, China is becoming more orwellian and imperial by the minute, while still trying to be more open to the world.

Much has been said about Ryo's desire for revenge dying and we know that he's set to meet (and probably fight) Lan Di in the third instalment. It really does make you think where the story will go after that. I can see two potential avenues and they involve Ren and Ziming.

1. Ren, driven by greed and his desire to find the 'treasure' of the qing dynasty, snatches both mirrors during Ryo's fight with Lan Di and Ryo's goal in Shenmue 4 will be stop him from whatever disaster the mirrors are going to cause.

2. After sparing Lan Di, Ryo's goal switches to finding and saving Ziming from the 'evil' path he walks. I could imagine Ryo feeling like he owes a debt to Xiuying for saving him from a similar fate.

does anyone know a way of contacting YSnet to put this idea to them? are they on twitter?
Drop them a line via the Kickstarter page as well.

Reactions: red
About the total money pledged, I think they are waiting untill this 30th september to announce the total amount because it's the final day to make changes in the surveys.

So they will announce total amount, final day to make changes and maybe we will see some images or a short video as we saw with that little girl.

There's an example of the stuff they censored in FFXV (including revealing outfits/skeletons for some reason).
Also coming from Japan (bad history between countries), and with a chinese setting might even put to a bigger examination than other games.
A lot of places in SIII are not really wealthy places, specially in the 80s, and portraying them as poor might be seen as ofensive (I remember in the old forum there was this thread about how China was portrayed as a dangerous place made by someone, specially in the comment "china is not japan, you'll get mugged if you sleep outside").
Also portraying any of the communist influence or imagery in bad light (or hell, even in neutral light), might be seen as inapropiate.

I don't know, China is becoming more orwellian and imperial by the minute, while still trying to be more open to the world.
I can smell your mother's basement from this post

So, it's a fact the places in Shenmue III are not particularly wealthy - it is rural China, after all - but portraying this is offensive? That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. If a studio made a game featuring the slums of Liberia, in all their shittiness, would that be offensive, too?

Also, Communism cannot be portrayed in anything but a negative light. It was (and still is) a disaster everywhere it was implemented.

As for Niao Sun: What is wrong with celebrating beauty, especially when those in possession of it could kick the fuck out of anyone who stands in their way? Nothing.

People need to get over themselves.

Back