Recent content by lyris1

1. L

Saturn Shenhua model was still in place during intro voiceover recording

I'm sure you've all noticed this, but for anyone who hasn't... During the Japanese MAKING OF SHENMUE documentary, at 46:12, when the prologue voice is being recorded, you can see that the character model for Shenhua is different: much more low-poly, and similar to how it appears in the Saturn...
  2. L

Would Shenmue have more success on the Saturn?

Absolutely not. It would have been a low-quantity limited release of a single game only, dumped onto store shelves and quickly forgotten, except for fetching 3 or 4 figure prices on eBay for old used copies.
  3. L

English dub : Why so much hatred?

Nothing about Yuan on the European release struck me as out of place. It sounds like the poster is just reacting angrily to censorship and losing objectivity. I do wonder who asked for this change. If I had to guess, I’d assume it was Sega of America QA. In an interview, YS said “we” weren’t...
  4. L

Interview from 2000 with Shenmue's martial arts director & Masaya Matsukaze

I strongly believe you can feel this in the final products. Shenmue II is much more of a "video game". Someone on this forum pointed this out regarding the music: each area has its own theme tune, it's location-based, like a typical game. The characters are far more stereotypical and less...
  5. L

Unreleased Shenmue II US Dreamcast Prototype

Oh jeez. I didn't even notice that. As if those mock-movie-credit-block things weren't cheesy enough.
  6. L

I don't think we ever did, did we? Unless they count this? I mean, they fixed it for the actual release, but did nobody want to tell the artist that Ryo is not Latino before they ran off these promo posters?
  7. L

English dub : Why so much hatred?

Hate is too strong a word, but the dubbing, especially of some of the NPC characters, is insulting for a game series of this ambition. I think Corey Marshall as Ryo was excellent, on the whole. His voice suits the character. But some of the NPCs basically have some guy doing a cartoon voice...
  8. L

I don't see how it does that. The existence of a US build of Shenmue 2 DC doesn't confirm anything about Microsoft's involvement. According to Comby Laurent at https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/unreleased-us-shenmue2-dreamcast-prototype-debug: "Contrary to popular belief...
  9. L

Opinions on Shenmue 2?

I agree with your points, the first is better from a story perspective. The more I think about it, the more it feels like Shenmue 2's design is older. It's much more of a video game. Chapter 1: Yokosuka feels more like the designers elaborating on the "FREE" concept. Shenmue 2 feels more like...
  10. L

What would've your life been like without Shenmue?

I wouldn't have the same interest in Asia as I do. And, I probably wouldn't have the same appreciation for the small things in life, and the occasional amount of melancholy that's totally normal and healthy to experience.
  11. L

Saturn Shenmue

That isn't true at all. Film preservation has been a serious industry far before 2020.
  12. L

Your personal stories with Shenmue

Aw man… my first experience of Shenmue. So it was 2000. I’d raided my 14-year-old savings account to buy a Dreamcast in March of that year. It had started to gather dust, but nearer the end of summer, I played the hell out of Sonic Adventure and rented Crazy Taxi from Blockbuster Video. I also...
  13. L

Nozomi aweful voice acting.

Yup, a localization company (they're named in the credits) will have written the English dialogue.
  14. L

In Shenmue 2, they did something that was much more confusing - they flipped the order of the names around. PRS has a great post about it: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/09/zhu-yuan-da-or-yuanda-zhu-characters.html When I first played the games, this confused me a bit. Combined with...
  15. L

Who’s to say he didn’t? Even if he did, with the amount of dialogue they’d have to get through in a short space of time, I think that’d be a case of, “Hey, look, I only work here. Now read the lines”.
Back