Nozomi aweful voice acting.

Yup, a localization company (they're named in the credits) will have written the English dialogue.

Her voice was not bad, but she sounded like some typical North American girl. She didn't even sound like Nozomi at all personality-wise as well. She sounded like someone from a western AAA story-driven game funny enough that takes place in modern times.

I think the voice sounded good. But it wasnt Nozomi, thats the problem, not the quality of the voice acting.

What did you like about the story? What did you learn? The gameplay was good for the most part but what about the thrilling set pieces from shenmue 2? Walking planks, escaping Beverly hills wharf? Fighting yellow head thugs around wan chai, mysterious xuiying, izumi, Eileen, joy wong, then kowloon, building the relationship with ren, going on buddy cop adventures with ren who is the most charismatic character in the franchise so far. Fighting 3 of the toughest warriors in epic locations in kowloon for money and testing ryos skills, master baihu, yellow head building. And the long cool down journey with Shenhua. Where was all of that in shenmue 3? The biggest story beats was getting good at Kung fu and overcoming random thugs we had no connection to and couldn't hold a candle to dou niu or master baihu or eve. Chunyun tbh we had no story with niao sun at all, ren is cool but we barely do anything with him (could've been a few missions we could've done with him) and we had no cool interesting interactions with characters apart from learning moves and sparring and a couple static conversations. I think I had more of a connection with the master at the dojo next to the arcade than I did with master Bei

How could you not see why people would be dissapointed when you are coming from Shenmue 2 to this. And don't give me the excuse of budget, once you have the assets and mechanics down you tell whatever story you want, eveb if you have to limit the cutscenes to gameplay, how about a chase gameplay scene that leads to a fight if you can't afford another qte chase segment? How about some fun missions where you have to go to all the hangouts of the red snakes, beat them up and make them talk? Not just the 1. How about some Shenhua, Ryo and Ren Co op missions? Not just the last one. How about Ryo and Shenhua hang out at the arcade, maybe you could teach her to play games? Teach her the modem life. I just feel these things can be done without needing to break the budget if you are clever. No need for fancy cutscenes, just dialogue.

The call was a dagger through my heart. 18 years waiting and they gave me that. Unacceptable.

The horrific combat system could be forgiven, but not THAT call.

Last edited:
That means it didnt sound like her

I wouldnt say Ren or Tom sounded like themselves either, but I felt they were done extremely well.

That Nozomi call though was probably a low point in the entire series though. Hopefully if a 4 is made that is retconned.

That means it didnt sound like her
It was more than that.
For example Shenhua could have made a perfect replacement for Nozomi's voice.
They should have let her do Nozomi voice as well.
Nozomi have a more reserved voice tone and didn't have that "jealousy" voice trying to get deeper into who Shenhua was. As well even making fun of Goro.
I would say not only bad voice acting but terrible script as well.

I agree with those that say it wasn’t the VA that was bad, it was her demeanor overall. IMHO, If the VA received enough direction, the whole conversation would’ve come off better.

I wouldnt say Ren or Tom sounded like themselves either, but I felt they were done extremely well.

That Nozomi call though was probably a low point in the entire series though. Hopefully if a 4 is made that is retconned.
Tom, yes. If for some reason a rerecording of shenmue was done, I would have no issues with the new Tim voice. Ren didnt sound rugged enough for me. He had too much of a clean cut, good guy voice and at best a douchebag as opposed to a feared gang leader.

I think its a retcon of sorts for Nozomi. I think they could've directed the VA to sound more like the old VA if they wanted too. The Ryo-Shenhua-Nozomi triangle Is kind of an important little detail for fans, I don't think they would glance over that and just say "Okay send in take 1 of whatever you got!". At least I hope not lol.

Reactions: Ren
What is this? What you trying to say?

Did you read the interview? I was trying to show you that in 2010, Yu Suzuki told us what Shenmue 3 was mainly going to be about in terms of story direction. So basically this shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. The only thing we didnt get was the third town but that was because of lack of budget.

As Guizhang is one of my favorite characters in the series this far, I felt that his call was easily the worst. His voice and personality were polar opposite ends of the universe from the first two games. The rest of them were acceptable to decent.

As Guizhang is one of my favorite characters in the series this far, I felt that his call was easily the worst. His voice and personality were polar opposite ends of the universe from the first two games. The rest of them were acceptable to decent.

Yeah he did seem a bit off. Like too friendly lol.
I still kinda found that in a way nice though like he warmed up to Ryo over time and distance

Yeah, these phone calls were incredibly disappointing (at least in English). Nozomi and Guizhang in particular don't sound or act anything like their Shenmue I counterparts and the English translations for these calls were screwed up as well.

They just did a literal translation of the Japanese script and didn't bother to check it for accuracy. How lazy can you be? How difficult would it have been to ensure that the Warehouse #8 password was correct and that Ryo and Nozomi call each other by their first names?!

It's so very, very wrong hearing Corey Marshall's Ryo refer to Nozomi as "Harasaki." And as others have said, her voice and demeanor are totally different too. I didn't actually expect them to get her original voice actor to return but I expected them to have someone at least make an attempt at emulating the way she sounds in Shenmue I.

And why does the guy who answers the phone for Warehouse #8 sound more like Guizhang than Guizhang does? Should have just had him play Guizhang if they absolutely refused to have Eric Kelso involved in the project at all.

I thought the whole idea of these calls was nostalgia and fanservice, but they failed miserably at that. Some of the content in them was somewhat interesting and it was nice hearing Lisle Wilkerson as Joy, but the inaccuracies in the translation and in some of the characters' voices and personalities are unacceptable.

Last edited:
Back