Nozomi aweful voice acting.

I had fairly middling expectations, and for me, it completely blew them out of the water. I thought the game was absolutely brilliant, and almost everything I had been dreaming of since 2001. The whole Niaowu chapter just felt so "Shenmue" to me, I loved it, and the final battle(s) was almost shot-for-shot what I'd been dreaming of for decades. The Lan Di showdown was just utter perfection. Personally, I'd have it at around a 9/10, and it's definitely up there with Shenmue and Shenmue II for me.

Sure, there's a few things I didn't like, or that I think could have been done better, but I expected that on such a measly budget. I'm genuinely quite shocked at the negative reaction toward the game, on here especially. I can't really fathom people that have actually been waiting 18 years like I have playing through Shenmue III and coming away from it disappointed.

As soon as I finished the game I came on here pretty excited to see what everyone thought, and was honestly gutted at some of the reactions.
What did you like about the story? What did you learn? The gameplay was good for the most part but what about the thrilling set pieces from shenmue 2? Walking planks, escaping Beverly hills wharf? Fighting yellow head thugs around wan chai, mysterious xuiying, izumi, Eileen, joy wong, then kowloon, building the relationship with ren, going on buddy cop adventures with ren who is the most charismatic character in the franchise so far. Fighting 3 of the toughest warriors in epic locations in kowloon for money and testing ryos skills, master baihu, yellow head building. And the long cool down journey with Shenhua. Where was all of that in shenmue 3? The biggest story beats was getting good at Kung fu and overcoming random thugs we had no connection to and couldn't hold a candle to dou niu or master baihu or eve. Chunyun tbh we had no story with niao sun at all, ren is cool but we barely do anything with him (could've been a few missions we could've done with him) and we had no cool interesting interactions with characters apart from learning moves and sparring and a couple static conversations. I think I had more of a connection with the master at the dojo next to the arcade than I did with master Bei

How could you not see why people would be dissapointed when you are coming from Shenmue 2 to this. And don't give me the excuse of budget, once you have the assets and mechanics down you tell whatever story you want, eveb if you have to limit the cutscenes to gameplay, how about a chase gameplay scene that leads to a fight if you can't afford another qte chase segment? How about some fun missions where you have to go to all the hangouts of the red snakes, beat them up and make them talk? Not just the 1. How about some Shenhua, Ryo and Ren Co op missions? Not just the last one. How about Ryo and Shenhua hang out at the arcade, maybe you could teach her to play games? Teach her the modem life. I just feel these things can be done without needing to break the budget if you are clever. No need for fancy cutscenes, just dialogue.

Also bring back the soda machine drinking animation and fix Lan Di's English voice.
Canada changed her...
Those white boys in caneda, Ryo should just forget about her, it's done. He's got Shenhua now 😂

Nozomi Japanese actress sounded WAY better in III. WAY closer to Nozomi.
Guixang (spelling) sounded terrible too, sounded nothing like him, and worse of all acted nothing like him, it's OK to sound different from the previous voice actor but when your personality changes too that's terrible.

In my opinion here's the returning voices that worked and the ones that didn't.

Worked
Corey Marshall as Ryo obviously
Shenhuas new actress was good.
Chai was good
Nozomi ironically actually worked for me, she sounded different but I thought her personality was still intact for the most part.
Tom was good he actually sounds like a black Jamaican now not a guy pretending to be lol
Fuku San sounds different but his personality is most definitely intact lol
Fangmei sounds OK mainly cos I can't remeber her voice right now.
Joy I swear must be just lisle Wilkerson again? Sounds like an older Joy
Ine San sounds just like her, voice and personality.
Ren sounds different but his new voice is good and personality is intact but I do miss Eric Kelso's Ren

Now for the bad
LAN DI is just terrible he sounds like a posh kid, his cold chilling voice is gone.
Guixang sounds and acts nothing like Shenmue 1 Guixang

What did you like about the story? What did you learn?

I loved getting to know Shenhua, the conversations with her every night, and the daily interactions were fantastic. I loved getting to know the people of Bailu village, from the jealous dweeb who's in love with Shenhua, to the annoying little kids, the young martial artist who's fawning over Ryo, etc.

I loved finally meeting the "old lady" who uses the herbs gathered by the villagers to make medicines for the village folk, as mentioned by Shenhua on the walk to Bailu at the end of Shenmue II. I loved hearing about Iwao and Zhao Sunming training together and developing their martial arts. I loved finding out there's a god damn second Shenmue tree that Iwao Hazuki trained under every day.

I loved Ryo being Ryo and begging Grandmaster Feng to teach him generations' worth of martial arts in 5 minutes so he can crack on with getting himself killed facing Lan Di, and Grandmaster Feng telling him to fuck off. I loved seeing Ryo seek out an old drunken martial arts master who has him do seemingly ridiculous tasks in exchange for training him, only for it to be revealed that the silly tasks were actually a part of the training itself, I thought that was an awesome little kung fu movie trope done really well.

I loved learning about the origins of the mirrors, their connection to and representation of the Emperor and the Empress. I loved seeing Shenhua's mystical/magical abilities teased even more when she extracted info from the thug at Hermit's Nest.

I loved travelling to Niaowu with Shenhua, and seeing her trepidation over leave her home village for the very first time. I loved how Madam at Hotel Niaowu felt like such a classically charming "Shenmue" character, as did the rich couple in room 207. I loved the mysteriously alluring woman Ryo and Shenhua are both drawn to on the boat, and later in Niaowu itself, who turns out to be fucking Niao Sun, and we finally see her after all this time!

I loved tracking down the Red Snakes, beating up their crew and then getting bodied by Ge. Having Shenhua tend to Ryo's wounds, getting rinsed by Ren for being battered by them, taking Ren back the next day and having both of us get our arses kicked. Then having to seek out an ancient Bajiquan move scroll in order to take him on.

And most of all I loved the final encounter with Lan Di. That fight was absolute perfection, and exactly what I have built it up to be in my mind for going on 20 years now. Lan Di just effortlessly parrying absolutely everything Ryo throws at him, and beating him down and nearly killing him without breaking a sweat. Completely cold and ruthless. It was fucking amazing.

I just feel a complete disconnect from the people who are disappointed and say nothing happened in Shenmue III, and that we learned nothing. That is not how I felt about it at all. I feel like we learned plenty, loads of really interesting events took place, and lots of great new characters were introduced. I'm not sure if I just took it slower than most of you guys or what, but I found it absolutely wonderful from start to finish, and it is easily up there with Shenmue and Shenmue II for me.

This thread is about voice acting. You both seem to be continuing the unrelated conversation in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
This thread is about voice acting. You both seem to be continuing the unrelated conversation in the wrong thread.

Oh, shit, weird. DoubleO_Ren pulled my post from the Reality vs. Expectations thread, and posted it here for some reason. I just responded assuming it was in that thread. I have absolutely no idea why he chose to reply to me in this thread. Bizarre.

But yeah, on topic, Nozomi's new voice actor played the character so differently it was very, very weird. She sounded completely disinterested and over Ryo one moment, and then really jealous another. She was all over the place, sounded nothing like Nozomi in voice or character.

Brianna Knickerbocker would have made a much better Nozomi. Maybe it's just me, but her Shenhua voice kinda reminds me of Nozomi (yeah, probably just me haha.
My past post, you are not the only one.

The weird thing is now Shenhua sounds more like Nozomi than Nozomi and act like her too...
I remember Shenhua was more playful and less serious in Shenmue II especially when she tried to kiss Ryo and Ryo freaked out.
They should just had Nozomi voice actor do Nozomi as well. The person that did the voice obviously just read a script and never bothered to play the original games or see the original character on youtube was very unprofessional.

It's weird. You'd think Corey Marshall would raise a concern with this when reading the lines. He must have known how awkward it was to reference Nozomi by her last name in English.
Who’s to say he didn’t? Even if he did, with the amount of dialogue they’d have to get through in a short space of time, I think that’d be a case of, “Hey, look, I only work here. Now read the lines”.

What bothered me more was how she reffered to Ryo as Hazuki :eek:Try find my one clip in Shenmue 1 where she does this
Think that's because it went from the Japanese script more for that, if you play Shenmue 1 HD in Jap dub you will notice that he refers to her as Harasaki and her as Nazuki in the original and thats carried on here, for Japanese players it carries on as normal, for us it comes across as out of character for Ryo

Definitely the biggest issues with voices was Nozomi and Lan Di for me. Her valley girl voice and last name talks to each other were not cool. Especially cause in other conversations with Ryo, he would say Nozomi. Not the emotional phone call i was hoping for. Lan Di's voice also isn't as deep as I'm accustomed to. Bring back Paul Lucas!

Ryo and Nozomi call each other by their last names because they are schoolmates. That's common in Japanese. Ryo does the same when he talks with the 2 girls (forgot their names) standing near the game center in Dobuita. They are his schoolmates as well.

All the old characters' Japanese voices sound close to the original ones. They talk the same way, with the same degree of politeness, use the same pronouns (for ex Joy still says "atai" for "I") and so on.

Although that's the case for the Japanese version, the English version was always first name basis, so them starting with a last name basis in English dialogue is awkward and inconsistent with previous installments

In Shenmue 2, they did something that was much more confusing - they flipped the order of the names around. PRS has a great post about it:

When I first played the games, this confused me a bit. Combined with the slight psychological adjustment I had to go through with hearing the voices in a different language (and I'm not complaining about that, BTW - I wish they had just left Shenmue 1 in Japanese with subtitles too), it made everything feel less familiar. For example, when I was told I had to find Lishao Tao, it at first didn't "click" with me that they were talking about Tao Li Shao they'd spoken about in the Western version of Shenmue 1.

(As an aside, the "Shenmue 1 being in American but Shenmue 2 being in English" inconsistency also renders the phone call between Joy and Guizhang almost meaningless to Western players, since we can't see the characters and would have no way of recognizing Guizhang's voice).

Yeah it's the worst in the game in terms of old characters. They may have different voices but Nozomi is the only one who's personality has completely changed. Really disappointing.

It's weird. You'd think Corey Marshall would raise a concern with this when reading the lines. He must have known how awkward it was to reference Nozomi by her last name in English.
Corey just went with the script, I know he respects Yu Suzuki alot so probably felt it wasnt his place as an actor to question the creator

Nozomi sounded straight up ditzy. It's not just the ditzy voice, it's also the pitch. It's way too high.

And then referring to each other with their last names made their relationship sound so formal even though they damn near confessed their love for each other in the first game. It's

Back