Recent content by SliverOfSand

1. SliverOfSand

My Story inspired by Shenmue

This sounds very exciting! I love how you’re using the ‘Shenmue formula’ to highlight the things that are special about Brazil. I love Japan, but until I played Shenmue, I never thought I’d ever experience the feeling of being there, and Shenmue captures that feeling perfectly. I do hope you can...
  2. SliverOfSand

Gaming Backlog

Not sure if there is a thread on this already, but I thought I’d give this a go. Lately it seems my backlog has been growing more and more, and for the first time in a while I feel almost overwhelmed with all the games I have yet to play/finish. It could be because I now have all the major...
  3. SliverOfSand

Random Gaming Thoughts

Yes, just checked and I got one too. If it would have been a survey I wouldn’t hesitate to participate, but I don’t like face-to-face interviews like that, even if it’s online. I would be interested to see what they’d ask about though…
  4. SliverOfSand

Random Thoughts

Gameplay videos are an amazing way to decide whether or not you want to spend the money on a game. Like you pointed out, it’s a shame that people don’t want to spend that much time watching them. I also didn’t mean to say that people who haven’t played Balan Wonderworld don’t have a right to...
  5. SliverOfSand

Random Thoughts

I think that there have always been rating systems for entertainment. There are always reviews for something, an opinion about the latest movie, TV show, or play. Although, 20 or 30 years ago rating systems and reviews were more for the industry than for the general public. It was almost like at...
  6. SliverOfSand

Shenmue symbols, old wisdom, legends and their interpretations

Thanks for this write up! The snow turning to rain is stressed so much by the residents you talk to at the begin of the game, it seems so obvious now that it meant something more significant. I also never really thought that Ryo would represent a tiger, but it makes a lot of sense now (besides...
  7. SliverOfSand

Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Actually really glad they’re rereleasing Colors, since I sold my Wii a few years back and really miss playing it. Seeing those side-by-side screenshots is a little concerning, watching the trailer I thought something was a little off... but seeing a direct comparison brings to light how strange...
  8. SliverOfSand

I quite enjoy seeing your avatar, it looks like Ryo is severely disappointed. :ROFLMAO:
  9. SliverOfSand

Shenmue Fan Art

That should be the billboard on his Hot Dog stand!
  10. SliverOfSand

Your tolerance for puzzles in gaming?

I actually quite enjoy puzzles. Tetris is one of my favourite games, and I play it almost everyday. So when I come across a puzzle in a game that doesn’t consider itself to be part of the puzzle genre, I’m actually quite surprised and I will usually enjoy solving them. A recent example of this...
  11. SliverOfSand

Shenmue Fan Art

Haven’t posted on this thread in a while, but here’s some fanart of Ryo I did for Shenmue day...
  12. SliverOfSand

Shenmue: The Gang Edition - 20 Years Later...

I always like coming back to these videos every once in a while. They remind me of the good ol’ days, so it’s cool to see this get a remaster! I thought that the opening prologue sounded really good. I really enjoyed coming back to this, thanks for uploading! :)
  13. SliverOfSand

New Yuji Naka Platformer - Balan Wonderworld (Multiplatform)

Finally got my copy in the mail. I played the demo, so when playing the full release, I could tell that it felt a bit more fluid when it came to movement. It almost felt a little too fast at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I can understand some of the complaints people have, the...
  14. SliverOfSand

Was Shenmue 3 comical compared to 1&2?

I agree, especially during the QTE segments. I was horrible at the QTEs in 3, so most of the time I’d fail them. Although I did enjoy seeing Ryo get hit in the face with a fire extinguisher, or falling into the harbour. I think that QTE fail states are a good place to put some comedic moments...
  15. SliverOfSand

Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Exactly how I felt. I was really looking forward to seeing what they would do with Ren in 3, but all his scenes before the finale felt really strange to me. It’s hard to put into words exactly what I thought was odd about it, but that feeling is definitely there.