Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Sorry for the late reply @Reprise Your optismn. is really good. You have a point though. There are indeed some indie horror games that try to mix horror with more mundane normal life stuff on the Pc. I have tried out few of them recently and the seem to sell enough to warrant making more such games. If that is the case then Shenmue migh really have chance today to attract a small amount of modern gamers.

The main problem of Shenmue is still it's reputation. For some the game is just a meme, others see it as one of the reasons for Sega leaving the console space. The not so great kickstarter for Shenmue 3 also lead to some negative press.

Shenmue needs to be liked by the right influencer that influences the masses that Shenmue is great. With the current so so reputation it might be hard to gather enough support for S4...

Mass audiences are a lost cause. But there are still serious gamers who haven't tried Shenmue. We have to get them to try the game. :) Shenmue certainly has the potential for at least 1 million sales. Ysnet just have to play their cards right. No need to throw money at marketing. Complete the game without rushed parts at the end. 8 out of 10 on the reviews and everything will be fine.

Enjoy the Shenmue day guys! Go wild! :D

Genuinely think if S4 happens it could be the best in the series - conflict between the Chi You Men, Ryo trying to get the Phoenix Mirror back, plus it seems obvious YS would cram a tonne of story in there after the criticism of S3.

Not to go back over the reboot good / reboot bad business again, but given YS has mentioned trying to appeal to more gamers plus having S4 tell the story of S1-3 through playable flashbacks, wouldn’t that kind of be a sequel and a reboot all at once?

I remember a year or so before the Shenmue 3 kickstarter Yu said something about “It would take Shenmue 4, 5 or 6 to finish the series.” That statement really made me believe he had something concrete in the pipeline for making 3. It just seemed like a pointless statement if 3 wasn’t in the works.

I kinda get the same feeling with the talk of a prequel. I guess it depends on whether the topic originated with Yu or if a reporter asked him.

Oooo. We can only hope. Given his comments about funding S5 before…

With Limited Run and Deep Silver both being part of Embracer, would this have any influence on anything? Or is it totally irrelevant?

I know zero about the gaming industry at large nowadays, Shenmue’s the only thing I try to keep tabs on.

Seems like Limited Run Games just publishes existing games, not new ones. So unless they’re doing something new it seems like they just do re-releases of games that haven’t had a wide release in a while.

They actually did just publish a new game, Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore. It's supposed to be quite good, too.

First time I've been on in quite a while :) I know josh was saying a while ago he could "probably" secure funds for a shenmue game? Pretty sure he was talking about the 5th game but maybe he got lucky with a studio and struck a deal for both. We can hope at least. At this rate any news is welcome.

First time I've been on in quite a while :) I know josh was saying a while ago he could "probably" secure funds for a shenmue game? Pretty sure he was talking about the 5th game but maybe he got lucky with a studio and struck a deal for both. We can hope at least. At this rate any news is welcome.
IMG_2930.jpeg

I’m pretty hopeful he has something Shenmue in the works.

Back