Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

As soon as I saw Megaman Legends I was pretty sure that will be one of them. It’s sorta in the same category of Shenmue where a couple of games were made and people who liked them REALLY liked them. And those people are vocal about wanting rereleases and sequels.

I also like Rule of Rose but it does make sense that Sony would be less willing than a company like Capcom.

I do wonder though, whether when he said “never happen” he meant never happen in general, as in never made, or never happen as in he never thought LRG would be involved.

I can’t imagine there’s any chance it’s PDS, unless they were just able partner with Sega to do a reprint of the Saturn version.

I do wonder though, whether when he said “never happen” he meant never happen in general, as in never made, or never happen as in he never thought LRG would be involved.
I think he probably teases a lot of their stuff this way. I recall one within the last six months teased like this that ended up being, like, Persona 3 or some shit. So, the latter.

So until anything concrete happens it's back to the daily grind of apples, bananas and sailors?😂🤔

PDS would be amazing. I sold my copy for around $200 years ago and I thought I made a killing at the time. I was sort of over video games at the time (was starting college) and didn't think it'd bother me if I got rid of it... Seems it's selling for over a grand these days. Yikes. I was lucky enough to convince my parents to buy me a copy right when it came out in the States.

Haven’t played it since middle school but I thought it lived up to the hype back then. It was unique and engaging, in a way few Saturn games were. It’s a shame Sega produced so few epic single player games compared to their competitors.

Last edited:
Dear Yu-san (if you read these forums or if someone close to him does, please forward to him),

Shenmue 3 provided a great feeling to continue Ryo Hazuki's story after 17 years of waiting. I know you have said you will never give up on your personal journey to complete this story.

I respectfully ask that you give us Shenmue fans an update on the current status of future Shenmue games. It has been almost 5 years since Shenmue 3's release, and we have heard almost nothing on its potential future. If you are currently working on it and cannot confirm at this time, excellent! If not, are you optimistic that you can get funding for a fourth and/or fifth game to complete the story? If you are not optimistic, do you have plans on what other ways you may finish this story we have been waiting 25 years for?

If there is anything we fans can be doing above and beyond what we are already doing, please let us know. Just a quick update on the future of the series would be greatly appreciated so we know what to expect (or not expect). Not hearing anything in regards to the future of Shenmue makes it harder to stay engaged as a fan.

Respectfully yours,

A 25-year Shenmue Fan

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of my favourite games. I’d love a remake, but there’s no point unless it’s done properly (better than the, shoddy, Forever Entertainment remake of the original). But I want Shenmue 4 every bit as much as I want iconic games such as the next Witcher or Elder Scrolls (arguably even more!) It doesn’t have to be massive budget, and may need some streamlining, but it’s a story that deserves to be completed. Loads of people are into relaxing games nowadays, so maybe it needs to be marketed more in that way, but also noted as having a cracking story and great characters.

We know Josh is a huge fan. We know he’d love to be involved if he could. When he talks of ‘three of the most requested games’, you’d think (HOPE 🙏) a continuation of Shenmue would be fairly high on that list of most requested games(?) Josh said he’d want to try and fund Shenmue 5 if at all possible. Could Yu Suzuki have decided to finish it with a fourth game, in which case Josh gets the kudos (and can find the funds) to finish this iconic series? 🤔 We can only hope such an opportunity arises, or that Sega get their act together and give the long term fans what we really want 🤞

Maybe the recent change in leadership or at the top of Sega might alter their outlook or thoughts on shenmue and their other IP's? I doubt it but they're doing jet set, golden axe, street of rage and talking about VF. There are possibilities there but I think they're waiting for yu to find a publisher/partner so they can give him & Ys net the go ahead.

Maybe the recent change in leadership or at the top of Sega might alter their outlook or thoughts on shenmue and their other IP's? I doubt it but they're doing jet set, golden axe, street of rage and talking about VF. There are possibilities there but I think they're waiting for yu to find a publisher/partner so they can give him & Ys net the go ahead.
This is kind of what I’ve been pinning my hopes to recently. Shenmue doesn’t seem to fit into the style of games they’re bringing back on board, but you never know.

On another note, I was looking over YS’s end of year Famitsu things again earlier, the things he’s mentioned over the last few years - shooter/RPG, obviously related to Air Twister - collaborating with musicians, again Air Twister with Valensia (blergh, sorry) - collaborating with scriptwriters, this one hasn’t happened, and to my mind can’t be anything other than Shenmue related, surely? Plus his latest yearly thing leaned more on the storytelling element, which again, Shenmue.

Not saying anything is happening at all, but seems to be he’s still obviously set on getting it made, and if you look back over his annual Famitsu articles, they tie in with what he’d done with Air Twister, so… I’d like to think something is happening somewhere in the background, even if it’s just preliminary talks or whatever, even if it’s stretching on over (clearly) some time now.

Or perhaps I’m looking into things too much. Shrug.

I believe shenmue 4 will happen eventually. I'm in that mindset that they're (Sega) are waiting for yu and Ys net to find a partner/publisher so they can give him the go ahead. Last thing we really did hear were they were pitching whether they still are or have stopped...I have no idea. It would be good if someone could verify the status of S4 and it's future because being secret squirrels isn't doing any good for the fans or the series.
Shenmue 3 proved to Sega that the series didn't necessarily need to have them involved even though the majority of the fanbase wanted that...it would of benefitted greatly with them on board.

Does anyone here ever feel like you’re trying to will Shenmue 4 into existence by thinking about all the while?

These games we can replay even now.

Or maybe you mean you want to own them in the collection, more than Shenmue 4? They are definitely expensive... but I'm a gamer first and a collector second. I prefer something that doesn't exist yet.
No, I mean as an opportunity to play those games. I do own a Saturn but I don't really know how to connect it to a modern TV set. I have a Scart-to-HDMI cable but the picture quality is horrible.

I'd really be very interested in a way to play those games.

Would you guys rather have shenmue 4&5 but each have a budget of $10-20M 30 million at most you know not the best full on shenmue experience or like a comprised one would yu suzuki settle for this i don’t know or would you rather get a $40-60M shenmue 4 mostly likely a $60 million dollar budget full on shenmue experience the main story being around 40-50 hours long say it started development late 2023 or early 2024 comes out before 2030, 2029 at the latest which would you guys settle for?

I think 95% from the people here wants something right now. No waiting at all. Early access, small episode, baisha, train... whatever. :)

Nobody cares about big budget. Just give us the same game, with the same engine, a little improved fighting system and that's it.

Look at this cutscene from sakura wars ps4 27:51

The game have many cutscenes without voice acting and any facial expressions. I don't mind if Ysnet use the same method to save money at all.

No talk about "dead eyes" from the media and fans about this game too. :D

Last edited:
Would you guys rather have shenmue 4&5 but each have a budget of $10-20M 30 million at most you know not the best full on shenmue experience or like a comprised one would yu suzuki settle for this i don’t know or would you rather get a $40-60M shenmue 4 mostly likely a $60 million dollar budget full on shenmue experience the main story being around 40-50 hours long say it started development late 2023 or early 2024 comes out before 2030, 2029 at the latest which would you guys settle for?

i don't even know what a $60-100m shenmue 4/5 would look like. a GTA or red dead type game, a big open world with lots of boring Npc's? no thanks. this modern trend in (empty) open world games, is rubbish.

these big 50+ hour games are ok to play once but they become such a chore. they are not fun and i have very little interest in replaying them.

if the next 2 games have the same budget as shenmue 3, that probably most realistic + personally i would be quite happy with a 15-20 hour shenmue game. if the next 2 games were action packed and fun, i would even be happy with 10hours, each. - at this point, where ever gets made, is just for the shenmue fans.

Last edited:
Totally agree that having S4 as a massive open world game would likely dilute the entire experience. In my opinion it just needs maybe three well realised areas, don’t have to be huge, and plenty of story and drama in there. Guess S2 is the template. Maybe throw in another couple of smaller areas to link one to another to squeeze the most out of it.

Think it’d be weird losing the voice acting personally, English dub I could live without, but think it’d lose a bit too much without being fully voiced.

That said, really I’d be happy with any continuation of the story really. I think just knowing something was happening would settle a lot of nerves.

Back