110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but, as we all know, the anime mostly leaked prior to the announcement and there were definitely small "rumblings" about Shenmue 3 before E3 2015, even though most of us ignored it because we had been conditioned to expect disappointment for 14 years.
Sure, but i mean we have small rumblings about Shenmue 4 now too.
So last time we had to wait for the real annoucement at E3, we didnt really know what was going on until that point
and now we have to wait what 110 Industries has to say about it.
I dont think theres going to be any surprise Twitter report tomorrow
about some guy that heard from someone at 110 Industries
that they are working with Yu Suzuki on Shenmue 4 in secret.
Usually stuff like this happens way before you hear anything from the actual company.

Does anyone know what Nagoshi’s new studio is working on?

Does anyone know what Nagoshi’s new studio is working on?

While it doesn't tell us what their first projects are, there is an outline in place on what type of games they want to make and the hope of reaching a global audience. So who knows? There are plenty of ideas apparently though. Another wait and see situation.

I only ask cuz 110's strategy seems to be poaching Japanese studios to make these games. But I know that's way, way, way out of left field.

Who is Kikizo? Are they reputable? Who is their source or do they indicate they have any?

I discredit it on the notion that I highly doubt Shenmue IV would be next-gen only. It'll have a PS4 release also.

I only ask cuz 110's strategy seems to be poaching Japanese studios to make these games. But I know that's way, way, way out of left field.
Hmmm I'd love to be a fly on the wall and overhear the possible conversation between 110's representatives and yu suzuki if this rumour is a real legit thing.

Certainly knows his stuff:

Sergei Kolobashkin
, CEO at 110 Industries (2017-present)
Answered 3 years ago

Sega is a different company these days. They had a shot, made a big splash, but didn't survive the wave. If you want a short answer: no, Nights is gone forever.
Let's go back and figure out why the company failed as a console manufacturer. Sega Genesis was the console that defined a whole generation of gamers. Sega executives believed that the Genesis was successful because Sega spent a lot of time innovating. Sega launched a CD add-on for the Genesis that failed, then they launched a cartridge add-on for the Genesis that failed. Along the way someone should’ve figured out that this scenario wouldn't work.
I should also remind you that Sega was really into arcade games and people like Yu Suzuki revolutionized the way we play games today. Sega figured that the next big thing in gaming is bringing the arcade experience home. Sega Saturn was the ultimate arcade powerhouse that allowed you to play Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop and Daytona USA in a comfort of your living room. These arcade ports had to go head to head with games like Metal Gear Solid. You could beat most arcade classics from the Saturn era in 25 minutes. Saturn was already dead when Sega figured that out.
Nights was probably one of the last true Sega arcade experiences. They tried making a sequel for the Wii, but the magic wasn't there anymore. You need real innovators to make arcade games work. Sega burried most of their old school properties, because they don't know how to make money on these games.

Certainly knows his stuff:

Nice to actually see and read of someone within the industry that has a good perspective and has some good decent knowledge of what has come before, what should of been avoided and what the next logical steps should of been during sega's console runs. Makes me a little more confident if this studio has took shenmue IV on with Yu Suzuki.

I know this quote's been shared here, but:

In addition to these three video games, the company has nine more projects in the pipeline and is signing partnerships with renowned watch manufacturers, car brands and fashion houses. “We outsourced the production of our first games to Japanese studios, but we are also considering acquiring a legendary player in the industry to develop future licenses on our own”, says Anton Poletaev. The disruption of one of the most promising markets in terms of potential revenues has most certainly begun.

I feel like this is what the hype is building towards. How many "legendary players" are looking for a new home right now? Also mentions how much capital they've raised and how many staff work there.

I know this quote's been shared here, but:

I feel like this is what the hype is building towards. How many "legendary players" are looking for a new home right now? Also mentions how much capital they've raised and how many staff work there.
Right now there's only one that comes to mind well comes to shenmue's fanbase's mind. Sony has been aquiring many independent studios as of late and offering them a "new home" but as of this current moment in time that we know of has not touched ys net studio.

Pardon my philosopher's thinking (academic/work wise, not being a chump), but I suppose we ought (as with all things) consider a few lenses:

a. We're all antsy for S4, and the anime (though good) is stirring us up. It also helps that S3 broke what's (for many if not most of us) a nearly decades long fast. Ryo may begin to hope in supernatural forces, but we ourselves needn't hope in mere companies. Moreover, silence of certain Dojo members doesn't prove anything.
b. Video game media culture is exaggerative if not nightmarish right now. While nostalgia content is being pushed to an extreme (maybe this helps the case of S4 coming to be), some also troll for that purpose (Blue Box comes to mind). Some of you note that trolling to that degree is a company killer-- perhaps, but it's not above a company to risk building up hype. Admittedly, their tactic is interesting: it could go either way.
c. 110 doesn't seem to me to be trolling, but they could be obliquely trolling to build hype: a YS connection, but indeed some fantasy game YS wants to be put out. So too, it could be something non-Shenmue coming out in even as late as, say, 2024-5, and the hype is being built. Game, timeline, and other factors could let us down.

This could indeed be possible. I'll keep my eyes on this, esp. after the anime concludes, but let's not pretend this is still 2003. S3 came out, but one can still be duped. I'm biting my lip and hoping to be wrong.

Pretty sure Nagoshi Studio is still going to make these Yakuza type games
because they clearly said that they want to keep the Yakuza scale.
The studio is interested in content with human drama and they are still influenced by movies a lot.
So their games will probably stay in the same type of genre, like story heavy crime games and stuff like that.
Chinese Netease probably has some exact plans on what they would like to see.
I doubt that Nagoshi made a new studio just to write scripts for some small cute fantasy jump n run games.
Netease probably offered some nice 'alternative' to make them leave Sega.

Who is Kikizo? Are they reputable? Who is their source or do they indicate they have any?

I discredit it on the notion that I highly doubt Shenmue IV would be next-gen only. It'll have a PS4 release also.
Kikizo is a videogame website (and a reliable one) just like IGN, Gamespot, etc. However, most of Kikizo's staff (especially Adam Doree) really love Shenmue, unlike places like Gamespot.

Just let me stress again that Kikizo/Adam Doree are very reliable. Adam has a rather long history in reporting videogame news, and he's definitely not the kind of person to post info unless it's examined thoroughly. So trust us, there's no need to disbelieve what Adam says.

It was a joke based on an article they posted back in 2005(?) that claimed that Shenmue 3 was almost finished and ready to launch on next gen platforms. For obvious reasons, it created a massive stir considering it was either a load of bullshit or, if it was true, nothing was ever revealed about it and Sega quietly cancelled it... Did we ever get the story about this? My memory is really hazy on pre-2015 Shenmue rumours.

It was a joke based on an article they posted back in 2005(?) that claimed that Shenmue 3 was almost finished and ready to launch on next gen platforms. For obvious reasons, it created a massive stir considering it was either a load of bullshit or, if it was true, nothing was ever revealed about it and Sega quietly cancelled it... Did we ever get the story about this? My memory is really hazy on pre-2015 Shenmue rumours.

I don't believe so.

For anyone else that is feeling nostalgic today: https://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25945

I find this all intriguing, but count me among those who are not quite sure if this is all leading towards S4 or an entirely different Yu Suzuki project. Either one would be very cool, but naturally I would like to know for sure either way so I don't start building up expectations that don't end up matching what's really going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back