110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baihu and Ziming have the same voice actor.
kind of spoiler of S4.
So ZiMing takes off his costume and become more handsome than before

This is not the thread to put spoilers about the anime, it is in a different thread, remove the spoilers please and put in the correct thread, thank you.

Last edited:
This is well-trodden ground but I don't really buy into the "S3 is so much slower than the other games" thing. It's not, it's just not as compelling. The story and characters we do get just fall short, so it feels like it drags in places because it's just not as interesting from a narrative perspective. Where it shines is in the training aspect, and establishing a daily routine with all the non-essential stuff -- but for many that's not what they're here for.

I don't buy this personally. The whole game is just about finding some thugs. That's literally it. I remember when I first played the game I thought that was just going to be a small quest early on that ultimately leads to something much bigger. Nope, it's literally the whole game. There is some lore and history explored in Bailu, but it's pretty minimal and feels kind of tacked on.

I know people often retort by stripping both Shenmue 1 and 2 to their core story parts, but it just felt like far more happened in those games and that you were actually making progress. Shenmue 3 feels like a filler episode or a side quest. The comparison would make sense if the entirety of Shenmue 1 was about searching for the Mad Angels and rescuing Nozomi, so if they took that small part of disc 3 and expanded it into a full game, that's basically Shenmue 3 in a nutshell.

The training aspect was reasonably well done and I agree the way it created a need for a daily routine was done well. I'm on the fence, because I know many feel like the stamina system was poorly implemented and didn't like the idea at all, but then I also think without it there wouldn't have been a need for either the economic world they built or the training system. The only issue I guess is that the training system was a convincing way to make Ryo stronger, but ultimately there weren't enough actual fights to justify it and the combat system was fairly poor.

This is partly why I'm coming round to believing it's Shenmue IV.

Not that other YsNet projects wouldn't benefit from an increased staff size, nor do I believe they'd stop using freelance and outsourced talent (because that's what most development environments are like now, so why not), but Shenmue has a ton of components that really demand enough people to be siloed off into individual teams to make them flourish mechanically and build interesting content.

Shenmue III had YsNet taking on the unenviable task of rebuilding a type of game from scratch that took several hundred to create in the 90s, with around 30-40 people and not all of them on full time basis. Modern technology can only help so much, and while I think they did an admirable job under the circumstances, it's clear they were stretched thin.

Game productions also tend to scale up through development, and Shenmue IV is the only YS project I could imagine demanding a fairly immediate hiring of extra staff even in the early prototype phase. Wouldn't take any of what I'm saying as gospel, though.
Yes totally. I hope you are right! :-) Lets get that Shenmue IV off the ground.

Yes totally. I hope you are right! :-) Lets get that Shenmue IV off the ground.
"Homer? who is Homer? My name is guy incognito." Sorry love the pro pic 🤣 All jokes aside let's keep a close eye on 110 next week, if something else gets dropped, teased or hinted at then we know for sure it's tied to shenmue. Big or small. :)

I don't buy this personally. The whole game is just about finding some thugs. That's literally it.
90% of Shenmue II is finding Yuandu Zhu, but that's exactly my point: Shenmue III is closer in pace and structure to the previous games than some people are willing to admit, it's just the content this time round is simply not as good.

There are deviations in S3 that steer you away from searching for thugs, just like there are deviations in S2 that steer you away from searching for Zhu...but in S2 you get the 4 wudu, which is incredible, and in S3 you get stuff like "...THOSE MOVES" and chicken chasing.

90% of Shenmue II is finding Yuandu Zhu, but that's exactly my point: Shenmue III is closer in pace and structure to the previous games than some people are willing to admit, it's just the content this time round is simply not as good.

There are deviations in S3 that steer you away from searching for thugs, just like there are deviations in S2 that steer you away from searching for Zhu...but in S2 you get the 4 wudu, which is incredible, and in S3 you get stuff like "...THOSE MOVES" and chicken chasing.
Exactly though, it's not just about finding Yuanda Zhu. It's about the 4 wude, meeting Ren, Joy, Xiuying etc and everything that happens along the way. Nothing happens along the way in Shenmue 3. The game could have been split in half, because in terms of its story Niowu achieved absolutely nothing other than feeling like a retread of what already happened in Bailu (try to find thugs, try to beat super boss thug who is actually a piece of piss to destroy but the game cuts to a cutscene anyways and pretends they are super tough, learn new move to beat them but only after enduring a load of pointless padding).

Anyone can take any great story and reduce it to it's very core story beats to make it sound simple or straightforward. It can be done with Fight Club, LOTR, anything really.

Exactly though, it's not just about finding Yuanda Zhu. It's about the 4 wude, meeting Ren, Joy, Xiuying etc and everything that happens along the way. Nothing happens along the way in Shenmue 3. The game could have been split in half, because in terms of its story Niowu achieved absolutely nothing other than feeling like a retread of what already happened in Bailu (try to find thugs, try to beat super boss thug who is actually a piece of piss to destroy but the game cuts to a cutscene anyways and pretends they are super tough, learn new move to beat them but only after enduring a load of pointless padding).

Anyone can take any great story and reduce it to it's very core story beats to make it sound simple or straightforward. It can be done with Fight Club, LOTR, anything really.
Psh. I’ll take the Verdant Bridge, Broom Girl and Fatman, and “those moves” over the four wude and the fantastic characters of Shenmue 2 every day of the week.

Nothing happens along the way in Shenmue 3.
It does, though. I'm not going to sit here and make a list because it's been done many times before, by people more dedicated than me, but it does.

And I'm not reducing S2's story to its core parts to make it sound like nothing happens. I'm saying the in-between parts in S2 are (mostly) compelling, despite it taking Ryo the whole game to find Zhu. That isn't the case with S3.

In every Shenmue game, making tangible story progress in the overall plotline is slow by design. It's not a new thing, and I straight-up disagree that S3 is any worse than the others in terms of moving the core story forward. I guess on that we can agree to disagree.

Excuse me stepin in @orient @Reprise but reading you both arent you sharing the core idea? You even said the same thing with different words...
90% of Shenmue II is finding Yuandu Zhu
Exactly though, it's not just about finding Yuanda Zhu
in S2 you get the 4 wudu, which is incredible, and in S3 you get stuff like "...THOSE MOVES" and chicken chasing.
It's about the 4 wude, meeting Ren, Joy, Xiuying etc and everything that happens along the way. Nothing happens along the way in Shenmue 3.
I use to compare my S3 experience with transitioning from almost out-of-nowhere GTASA to the hyped GTAIV. Being a new generation of hardware the graphic jump was more than notable but it felt lacking a lot of content, gimmick and lesser lineal progress (i mean GTASA feels bigger and "free" than IV does).

Last edited:
We are @Seaman, I think we fundamentally agree, but come from it from different perspectives. I think I just find it difficult to agree that the story in 3 in terms of its plot and pacing isn't much different to 1 and 2. In fact, Orient himself said where our differences are. I personally do believe that Shenmue 3 is worse at moving the core story forward, but I agree to disagree.

Nothing happens in Shenmue III?

Ryo and Shenhua got out of the cave and started to search for Yunshen Yuan, Shenhua's father. Ryo and Shenhua only found him in the ending of the game but this search for him is part of the story.

Ryo started to live with Shenhua in Bailu Village like a second home to him. The Ryo and Shenhua conversations every night, these conversations are part of the story, every conversation with Shenhua is different, in this conversations we learn more about Ryo and more about Shenhua, and after some conversations we can see that Shenhua started to be more lovely with Ryo. During the game we can see the development of their bond/friendship, and that now Ryo is important for Shenhua and Shenhua is important for Ryo.

Ryo losing against Yanlang, Ryo training with Master Sun is slow pace and this training is part of the story as well, martial arts is a big part of Shenmue story, Ryo learning the bajiquan moves is super important to the story and this advance the story,

We got some revelations about Iwao in Bailu Village, i wished for a little bit more like a flashback of Iwao and Sunming Zhao training in the village, things like that but at least we got a little bit more about IWao, and because of Shenmue III now we know the name of Ryo's mother, her name is Akane, Iwao promising for Akane that he will return to her one day.

Ryo talked with the elders of the village and learned more about the past of the Village, about the origin of the mirrors, about the time that the emperor and empress were in Bailu Village because of the mirrors, we got more story and revelations in this part.
Ryo improve more and learned the Body Check (Youshin Senrin in VF) and this time Ryo won against Yanlang, after that probably Shenhua used one of her powers in Yanlang, we don't know exactly what she did to him but i think Shenhua used one of her powers, i just hope we can learn more about Shenhua's powers in Shenmue IV, more revelations about that.

Ryo and Shenhua talked with Xiuyu Yeh and she tell her story, Ryo search for the tokens for the Bell tower, Ryo go there with Shenhua, Ryo and Shenhua found the scroll with the Dragon and Phoenix, Xiuyu Yeh say that the Dragon is the emperor and the Phoenix is the empress. Ryo give the Phoenix Mirror to Yeh and Yeh say that the mirrors are the key to hidden treasure, she also say that in the scroll is Niaowu, we also got the revelation about the moutain cliff, Elder Yeh say that it seems that the treasure at the heart of this calamity is hidden in those moutains, Yeh even said she believe that Ryo hold a map to the treasure, i don't remember now other things but the converstation had revelations and it was interesting.

Chai appear, Shenhua maybe used one of her powers against Chai, it is not clear what she did, i just hope we can see revelations about Shenhua's powers in Shenmue IV. Ryo fight with Chai and Chai revealed that Shenhua's father and Xu are in Niaowu, Ryo even say "The same place in the scrolls" so everything is connected about this.

Ryo and Shenhua go to Niaowu and Ryo see a mysterious woman (Niao Sun) she appear in some moments in the game like this, Ryo met Shiling Ling, Qiu Hsu and Grandmaster Bei, that fight scene with Grandmaster Bei is really well done, i love that scene.

Ryo and Shenhua had some night converstaion in Niaowu as well, it was not like in Bailu Village that had options to choose but it was nice converstaion, and to show how much Ryo and Shenhua are closer now, i wished for even more conversations but it is what it is.

In the game we have a moment where it looks like Shenhua used one of her powers in Ren, again not sure what she did, i just hope we can have answers and revelations about her powers in Shenmue IV.

Ryo met Ren again, the duo encounter with Longqi Ge (The leader of the Red Snakes) and i fight happen, Ryo lost and the duo decided to run away. I don't remember right now more details of this part about Longqi Ge so forgive me, i played Shenmue III from beggining to end just one time, i'm playing Shenmue II now for the second time from beggining to the end and after that i will play Shenmue III again.

Ryo helped Shiling Ling, Ryo had some moments with Qiu Hsu, Ryo learned more about styles of martial arts with animals, after that Ryo learned the Reverse Body Check (Kouzanheki in VF) with Grandmaster Bei.

Body Check and Reverse Body Check are not the same moves, it is not even about opinion in relation to the moves, it is a fact, people that play Virtua Fighter know more the details, i'm a VF fan so i know more about this, but if people want to continue to think that the moves are the same then go ahead, that's okay, i'm not here trying to change how people think.

I don't like misinformation about Shenmue and Martial Arts this is why i say about this, i even have plans to make a video talking about the moves showing this fact with Virtua Fighter videos, Virtua Bros channel did a good explanation about the moves, the explanation is very good.

As far as i remember after learning the Reverse Body Check Niao Sun kidnapped Shenhua, this way we have the revelations that the mysterious woman that appear sometimes is Niao Sun. Ryo, Ren, Shiling Ling, Qiu Hsu and Grandmaster Bei go to the Fortified Castle. Ryo Save Shenhua's father, Ryo give the Phoenix mirror to Niao Sun to save Shenhua, Ryo fight one more time with Lonqi Ge, this time Ryo did the Reverse Body check and won the fight, here we see that Ryo got more stronger after training with Master Sun and Grandmaster Bei.

After that the fight with Lan Di and his goons, Ryo show that he improve but it was not enough, Niao Sun ask for her goons to put the place on fire, she betrayed Lan Di. Ren throw the fake mirror and this way saved Ryo, everyone escaped the castle.

Ryo, Ren and Shenhua leave Niaowu. Ryo have a conversation with Yunshen Yuan and he made some revelations about the mirrors, Sunming Zhao and Lan Di, now we know that one point Sunming Zhao had the mirrors, someone gave the mirrors to him at one point in the story, we know that Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men, the talk was about the cliff temple as well as far as i remember, i don't remember now if we have more revelations, i wished for a little bit more but it was okay to me.

After that the ending... Ryo, Shenhua and Ren in the Great Wall, this means Ryo is not alone in his journey anymore, now Ryo is with Shenhua and Ren.

So... nothing happens in Shenmue III? i disagree 100% with this. I'm not here saying the game is perfect, Shenmue III have some things i dislike, even Yu Suzuki gave score 7.5 to the game, really looks like Yu-san wanted to do more with the game but for many reasons this didn't happened, even Baisha is not in the game, it is sad that this happened, that Yu Suzuki couldn't do what he wanted, but it is what it is.

Shenmue III is like a miracle in my opinion, given everything that happened before and during development of the game, Yu Suzuki not with SEGA anymore, the limited budget and more. People can dislike Shenmue III all they want, i just feel like people are too heavy with the game, like Shenmue III is the worst game of all time that don't have anything good and i really don't agree with this.

Sure the game could have been better about some things but to say that nothing happened in the game? i don't agree with this.

Shenmue III is similar to the first game in my opinion, and i think Shenmue IV will be similar to Shenmue II.

To end my post i just want to say that i respect all opinions here, if you dislike Shenmue III that's okay, if you think that nothing happened in the game that's okay, if you disagree 100% with me that's okay, i'm only saying my opinion and why i don't agree with some criticisms about Shenmue III, i needed to make this clear because i don't want misunderstandings anymore about my posts, thank you.

Last edited:
I feel Cedric will probably not continue to be involved, unfortunately., but he played a huge role in reviving Shenmue. Wasn’t his role getting the financing for Shenmue 3?

Not a peep

Clutching at straws here, but maybe he's in a position where if he says anything, it could compromise the surprise? He knows how detailed the community is. His voice right now could speak volumes....hence the silence?

Last edited:
This definitely seems like the most logical outcome. Based on Shenmue 3’s storytelling though, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Ryo simply learns a special move to defeat Lan Di. The reverse reverse body check or something stupid like that.

So you mean the formula every Shenmue game has had so far?

I feel like that's the formula all of these games have had. Learn something new to beat the enemy standing in the way.

It seems to me that is the formula of Shenmue. <shrugs>

So why wouldn't it be the same for Lan Di? Only difference is it will probably be Ryo putting everything he has learned thus far to the test. It's almost like this is an RPG and you're getting stronger with every game by learning new things to overcome ever increasing obstacles that stand in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back