110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is supportive of Shenmue, I suppose it would be easy to pitch in a million or so and get a small slice of the pie. Unless a bigger company negotiated more money for total control of the project, and decided they'd rather not have more hands in the mix...?

He is supportive of Shenmue, I suppose it would be easy to pitch in a million or so and get a small slice of the pie. Unless a bigger company negotiated more money for total control of the project, and decided they'd rather not have more hands in the mix...?
I would of thought personally having a joint partnership would of been easier for everyone involved because they wouldn't lose half as much incase another game didn't recoup. But also could you call "110" for an example if they have funded a game a bigger company when they're technically still like "new kids on the block". :)

Besides some publicity and the magic Monaco event, (wich I attended once and it was cool), I don't really see what Cedric can do for shenmue now.
It was useful to take it shenmue of the ground when the brand was 90% dead.

But now, specially with the success the anime is getting and stuff, I fail to see what Cedric and his company can do to help.
There should be companies out there, with way more means and backing, ready to do what he would do in these circumstances with way better results.

All that said, I like Cedric! We we all should be grateful to him.
He did indeed helped us a lot at the time.

I know the announcement....

YS NET, 110 Industries and SEGA decided to unite for this big project, the project that will tell the entire journey of Ryo in just one game, but it will be in a different style...

The announcement is...

LEGO Shenmue

LEGO Shenmue.jpg

No... i don't know what the announcement will be 😿 But... but i like the idea of a LEGO Shenmue game, i really want to play this game.

YS NET, 110 Industries and SEGA decided to unite for this big project, the project that will tell the entire journey of Ryo in just one game, but it will be in a different style...

The announcement is...

LEGO Shenmue

View attachment 15172

No... i don't know what the announcement will be 😿 But... but i like the idea of a LEGO Shenmue game, i really want to play this game.

oof no thanks :sick:

The announcement is...

LEGO Shenmue

View attachment 15172

Haha that would actually be kinda cool, I would like to see it but only after the main series has concluded.

Haha that would actually be kinda cool, I would like to see it but only after the main series has concluded.

I agree, would be nice to have different Shenmue games like this after the main series has concluded, i like LEGO games.

Yes, the same Ryo who fought off 100 thugs in Yokosuka but started getting his ass kicked by some more random thugs in HK. Gee, it's like there is a formula here or something.

Ryo doesn’t get his ass kicked by random thugs in Shenmue 2 though. He fights a lot of them, sure, but aside from when infiltrating the Heavens hideout (where he’s up against a seemingly never ending army of random thugs without Guizang there to help him), Ryo breezes through just about everything in his path barring Baihu and Dou Niu (both of whom are stronger than Chai).

I'm not talking about writing...the writing of said thugs is entirely subjective. You may like how said thugs were presented, you may not. That's entirely subjective. But the formula is very much the same between all three games. Ryo faces a new obstacle and has to learn new techniques to bring the obstacle down. I don't see the problem in that. I feel like that is Shenmue's formula and the same will probably happen in Shenmue IV. He will probably be taught by a new master at some point to learn some new technique to beat the next enemy.
In this case, the writing is kind of a quintessential element though, no? It explains why Ryo does/doesn’t have trouble with certain thugs and gives a sense of progression, growth and character development. Ryo doesn’t just beat Dou Niu because of Counter Elbow Assault, he does so only after learning to center himself and remain focused in the heat of the moment. Compare that to Mr Muscles Mark 2, who Ryo literally just beats with a super move that he buys from a shop.

Ryo will very likely use a new move to beat Lan Di when the time finally comes (my money is on whatever move is detailed in the mysterious poetry scroll), but to describe that as “the Shenmue formula” seems incredibly reductive. Shenmue is, at its heart, a story about Ryo’s growth as both a person and a martial artist. That shines through in the second game. Not so much in the third, which instead opts to place players (and Ryo) back at square one.

A lot of martial artist in Bailu but these martial artists could win against Yanlang in a 1 VS 1 fight? these martial artists wanted to fight? maybe not, Master Sun for example don't care about that, he just wanted to stay in the abandoned temple drinking and things like that as far as i remember.

in my opinion people underestimate Yanlang too much, Yanlang to me is not random thug, he is strong, same thing about Longqi Ge in Niaowu.

This is Ryo's journey so it makes sense that the protagonist will train, improve and win the fight, and i'm glad it happened this way because we got character development for Ryo, and Ryo is more stronger now after all this training in Shenmue III, i don't find this annoying at all.

Ryo doesn’t get his ass kicked by random thugs in Shenmue 2 though. He fights a lot of them, sure, but aside from when infiltrating the Heavens hideout (where he’s up against a seemingly never ending army of random thugs without Guizang there to help him), Ryo breezes through just about everything in his path barring Baihu and Dou Niu (both of whom are stronger than Chai).

In this case, the writing is kind of a quintessential element though, no? It explains why Ryo does/doesn’t have trouble with certain thugs and gives a sense of progression, growth and character development. Ryo doesn’t just beat Dou Niu because of Counter Elbow Assault, he does so only after learning to center himself and remain focused in the heat of the moment. Compare that to Mr Muscles Mark 2, who Ryo literally just beats with a super move that he buys from a shop.

Ryo will very likely use a new move to beat Lan Di when the time finally comes (my money is on whatever move is detailed in the mysterious poetry scroll), but to describe that as “the Shenmue formula” seems incredibly reductive. Shenmue is, at its heart, a story about Ryo’s growth as both a person and a martial artist. That shines through in the second game. Not so much in the third, which instead opts to place players (and Ryo) back at square one.
I can see a bit of both sides here...Ryo also loses to Dou Niu and Yellow Heads after getting knocked out of the Five Stars Corp. in the Ghost Hall Bldg, by the way.

Yes, Shenmue III makes you lose twice before learning moves, but I would argue that this is just a poorer telling of his growth rather than just "learning a move". Both Counter Elbow Assault and Demon's Triangle are big moves in Bajiquan, as are the Body Check and Reverse Body Check. Both Yanlang and Gi and huge brutes, which Ryo clearly can do well against (I rarely lose during new playthroughs on the hardest difficulties if I train properly, until the games forces me). In Yanlang's case, he gets some lucky punches in, which is literally just like Dou Niu at the Ghost Hall Bldg. You can easily defeat his thugs, then start working on him, even though Shenmue II forces you to lose this time. You just run out of time. Literally the same thing happens in III. When you fight Yanlang in the Rainbow Basin, and Gi in the Red Snakes hideout, you can beat the thugs, then whittle them down before the game forces you to lose. In Shenmue II, Ryo's realization of Xiuying's teachings, in addition to the Counter Elbow Assault, one of the Bajiquan Liudakai, brings Dou Niu down.

This has been discussed before, and I will try and find the thread, but the Body Check and Reverse Body Check, are also important techniques of Bajiquan, and signature moves of Akira. The Body Check is done a bit better, since you have to do quite a lot for Master Sun, but they are still more than just "a move you go and buy".

Could the story have been told a bit better regarding these moves and their subsequent application? You could argue that. But all in all, it is very similar to how Shenmue II portrayed Ryo and Dou Niu's match ups.

I can see a bit of both sides here...Ryo also loses to Dou Niu and Yellow Heads after getting knocked out of the Five Stars Corp. in the Ghost Hall Bldg, by the way.

Yes, Shenmue III makes you lose twice before learning moves, but I would argue that this is just a poorer telling of his growth rather than just "learning a move". Both Counter Elbow Assault and Demon's Triangle are big moves in Bajiquan, as are the Body Check and Reverse Body Check. Both Yanlang and Gi and huge brutes, which Ryo clearly can do well against (I rarely lose during new playthroughs on the hardest difficulties if I train properly, until the games forces me). In Yanlang's case, he gets some lucky punches in, which is literally just like Dou Niu at the Ghost Hall Bldg. You can easily defeat his thugs, then start working on him, even though Shenmue II forces you to lose this time. You just run out of time. Literally the same thing happens in III. When you fight Yanlang in the Rainbow Basin, and Gi in the Red Snakes hideout, you can beat the thugs, then whittle them down before the game forces you to lose. In Shenmue II, Ryo's realization of Xiuying's teachings, in addition to the Counter Elbow Assault, one of the Bajiquan Liudakai, brings Dou Niu down.

This has been discussed before, and I will try and find the thread, but the Body Check and Reverse Body Check, are also important techniques of Bajiquan, and signature moves of Akira. The Body Check is done a bit better, since you have to do quite a lot for Master Sun, but they are still more than just "a move you go and buy".

Could the story have been told a bit better regarding these moves and their subsequent application? You could argue that. But all in all, it is very similar to how Shenmue II portrayed Ryo and Dou Niu's match ups.
Right you are. Not sure how that one slipped my mind given that I watched it in the anime just last week. Again though, we’re talking about Ryo being heavily outnumbered.

I agree that the Yanglang scenario is handled much better than the one which follows (hence why I used RBC as my example) and were this the only time this kind of roadblock occurred in the game I dare say I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. Assuming players have already reached the required Dan though, the fight with Gi really is just a case of buying/learning a new move to win. No training no nothing. That Ryo now has a Kung Fu meter makes this entirely demonstrable.

As touched upon earlier, my biggest issue with three isn’t the above, more that that Kung Fu meter starts out at 0. Without any training, the fight with the two Blue Spiders thugs at the beginning of the game is very difficult to beat (at least for first time players), which makes Ryo feel much weaker than in previous games. That 20 minutes of horse stance and one inch punch training can have such a dramatic impact feels equally bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back