110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

With respect and my sympathies to your usually kind commenting: That's not fair

It's not fair, but the buck always stops with the head honcho, at the end of the day. I just figured since some people had gone with the "fuck anyone who dared to criticise the objectively speaking flawed game" approach, that we weren't bothering with nuance.

I tried my best to promote Shenmue 3 in gaming groups on social media, on other forums, I left reviews on places like Amazon and metacritic where I was positive about my experiences.

I think despite my criticisms here that I have also been fairly positive about other aspects that I did enjoy? I praised the Bailu portion of the game, I praised the conversations between Ryo and Shenhua, I praised the fishing and the amount of work that clearly went into the first half of the game to make it feel like an authentic Shenmue experience that no other game or series can capture.

Lots of franchises have lackluster entries and still manage to contunue. Syberia is one of the most niche video games series I can think of and the third game (also made as a result of crowdfunding, decades after the original two games) was absolute dog shit. It's literally fucking atrocious and makes Shenmue 3 look like the greatest game ever made in comparison. They still went on to make and release a fourth game... 🤷‍♂️ Syberia fans didn't lie to themselves and everyone else though by claiming it was some misunderstood incredible game.

Last edited:
I'm going to use a loud expression because I can't think another one and translate. We or me, accept the existente of those like you who find S3 flawed. Its impossible to obligate anyone to connect with a game, movie, etc in the same way. But in the other hand, I get the feeling we who really find S3 a decent entry, despite minor (imo) flaws are "denied". I don't lie to myself mate, i give my word that I love Shenmue 3. As much as 1/2? No way. But in some aspects, yes it surpasses. Again at least for me.
Thanks for keeping it civil, @You Arcade Clerk is right, we shouldnt get against each other for a videogame.

It's not fair, but the buck always stops with the head poncho, at the end of the day. I just figured since some people had gone with the "fuck anyone who dared to criticise the objectively speaking flawed game" approach, that we weren't bothering with nuance.

I tried my best to promote Shenmue 3 in gaming groups on social media, on other forums, I left reviews on places like Amazon and metacritic where I was positive about my experiences.

I think despite my criticisms here that I have also been fairly positive about other aspects that I did enjoy? I praised the Bailu portion of the game, I praised the conversations between Ryo and Shenhua, I praised the fishing and the amount of work that clearly went into the first half of the game to make it feel like an authentic Shenmue experience that no other game or series can capture.

Lots of franchises have lackluster entries and still manage to contunue. Syberia is one of the most niche video games series I can think of and the third game (also made as a result of crowdfunding, decades after the original two games) was absolute dog shit. It's literally fucking atrocious and makes Shenmue 3 look like the greatest game ever made in comparison. They still went on to make and release a fourth game... 🤷‍♂️ Syberia fans didn't lie to themselves and everyone else though by claiming it was some misunderstood incredible game.

Ponchos are for your body, not your head :)

I don't know why but suddenly Im smelling flowers. A vanilla strawberries scent. Those are fruits by I mean the flowers... I see you coming savagely, Truck XD

I don't even think Yu Suzuki has any desire to make the game. It's been nearly 3 and a half years since Shenmue 3 was released without so much as a word on the series' future.

I don't think that is particularly fair. Yu has always said that if he gets the chance he'd like to see the series finished. It all comes down to funding at the end of the day. Yu's a work horse. There's no way he'd give up the opportunity to see Shenmue through to its conclusion.

Yu has always said that if he gets the chance he'd like to see the series finished.

My point was that's all he has said. It would be great to hear a little more passion than just...

chance-chance-would-be-a-fine-thing.gif

What else can he say? If he gives people false hope he'll be in the wrong. It's better to be silent and not say anything at all until he knows he can. As for passion, I don't know why he's been doubted. He's always been trying to get Shenmue finished, case in point was the long stretch between S2 and 3. We had Shenmue Online and a Shenmue Mobile game. Yes both were cancelled projects but his heart was still in it. All you have to do is look at the end of S3 to see he still wants to continue with S4. Comparing the three years between S3 and now and S2 to S3, I'd say it's a tad awful to say the guy doesn't have his heart in it anymore.

When I have doubts, I'd like to think that this is still true.

_0AThCW4K5VdG9JzUZqE0UnLXs_iU_PKAxroYNHqnzU.jpg

Also, for what it's worth, it's encouraging to see people playing the original Shenmue games and being positive about it even today. Little by little, people are playing it more and enjoying it. Of course, there are those who don't enjoy it and that's fine so long as they've actually given it a chance. Those who mock the game without playing it are irrelevent in my eyes.

If we can get Shenmue III back from the dead, i'm sure we can get Shenmue IV made. I hate repeating myself, but the hard work has been done and we just need to keep that momentum going.

I dunno; I get doubts all the time, but I find it kinder to myself to remain positive than stew in the bask of my own negativity. Such ways of thinking are draining.

I suspect that YS would make a new game if “given the chance”, but am starting to doubt that he would go out of this way to make it happen otherwise. At this point, he’s inching towards 70, so having to systematically fight for a pet project that ultimately few recognize or enjoy can’t exactly be motivating.

Our second chance miracle was Shenmue 3, which unfortunately got bungled along the way for myriad reasons. Then we got some half-assed ports that still need work. Then came the anime, which just got cancelled. Forget Yu Suzuki’s feelings, even being a fan of this series is an exercise in self-control.

I suppose something could still happen regarding Shenmue 4, but, since we’re dealing with a very Japanese team which is being intentionally vague, we can do nothing but speculate at this point, even after all these years. It’s frustrating!
…But it does leave some room for hope as well. There should be a solid technical foundation for a fourth game already, right? I’d like to think there’s at least a glimmer there.

I suspect that YS would make a new game if “given the chance”, but am starting to doubt that he would go out of this way to make it happen otherwise. At this point, he’s inching towards 70, so having to systematically fight for a pet project that ultimately few recognize or enjoy can’t exactly be motivating.

Our second chance miracle was Shenmue 3, which unfortunately got bungled along the way for myriad reasons. Then we got some half-assed ports that still need work. Then came the anime, which just got cancelled. Forget Yu Suzuki’s feelings, even being a fan of this series is an exercise in self-control.

I suppose something could still happen regarding Shenmue 4, but, since we’re dealing with a very Japanese team which is being intentionally vague, we can do nothing but speculate at this point, even after all these years. It’s frustrating!
…But it does leave some room for hope as well. There should be a solid technical foundation for a fourth game already, right? I’d like to think there’s at least a glimmer there.

I beg to differ on your first point.
Yu does feel motivated by how much encouragement he gets from the Shenmue community to have the series continue. We've heard it from people close to him and from the man himself. Age isn't anything but a number and whenever we see him in interviews, tweets etc he's always looking well. I never understood the age argument, any of us could meet our maker at any age. Nearly being 70 doesn't change anything, he's still showing no signs of slowing down.

As for Shenmue 4, I'll echo @spud1897's sentiments that he's spoken of before: all systems are in place for a S4 with most of the tools etc being created during development for S3. A S4 wouldn't need as much work. I'd think cinematics and animation would be the biggest challenge.

Silence is nothing new, it comes as part of the parcel of being a Shenmue fan. All we can do is keep doing what we have been doing - push those tweetathons, keep our spirits up and let the powers that be know that we won't stop until we have closure. We've come this far, we need to see it through.

There's a collective responsibility with this IMO. Shenmue 3 (and the other games) should be able to be constructively criticised.

My issue is these so called 'fans' coming up at every turn trying to put people off playing it or youtubers embellishing the truth or outright lying to make their point.
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Thanks.

There were people here that simply couldnt get the fact that the game was good for a lot of us. It's like the couldnt even comprehend it.

And no @red , I'm not saying "a guy entered and red Reprise so didnt buy the game". But every aspect matters, every comment, every twitt, everything. If you come here and discuss (almost fight) with people who liked the game and thrash it, and someone copy/paste it and upload it in a forum, whats the image? "Look, there are 20 years old fanbase that hate the game, LOL". And you fucking know how internet works. We were a minority and needed every single piece. We would fail? Probably. The train was broken for all those stones, it probably would get broken anyway, but hell, do you see those stones over there? Those were from "Shenmue fans". Again, hope you guys are proud.

I always say the same, I came here bc I found a Shenmue 1/2 video on youtube. That was people spreading their love, we needed more, it's hard to do it with 20 years old games, this what the time, but S3 didnt get it. Andn ow we depend on a miracle. Because now we see Shenmue series doesnt give you a lot of money. In pre-S3 times, that was a question, now they know it.

Last edited:
I assume nothing is in development, planning, or being written into a contract. Does he want to make it? Sure, I bet he does. Is he currently making it? I highly doubt it. Is he actively seeking ways to get it made? Probably not. Some light discussion with colleagues here and there, maybe.

I used to be in a fairly popular band back in the day. We never officially broke up but we just kind of stopped; we couldn't keep going the way we were going. It was too expensive to tour and we never got that big break everybody wants. Now, if someone called me right this moment and offered this much and that much and time in a recording booth, well sure, I'd be happy to get the guys back together. But I'm not actively spending every day working towards that. If it happened, cool. If not, whatever, we tried-- I've got other shit I'm doing anyway.

Is he actively seeking ways to get it made? Probably not. Some light discussion with colleagues here and there, maybe.

On the contrary, I'd like to think he is or has been doing until recently. It's not going to be a case of a publisher rolling up to him asking him to make it. Last we heard he was pitching a S4 demonstration to publishers.
I'm a bit more optimistic. I still have a feeling in my gut that 110Industries are involved but that we haven't seen or heard anything yet as not to take the wind out of the sails of Wanted: Dead.

I assume nothing is in development, planning, or being written into a contract. Does he want to make it? Sure, I bet he does. Is he currently making it? I highly doubt it. Is he actively seeking ways to get it made? Probably not. Some light discussion with colleagues here and there, maybe.

I honestly think it's going to have to be crowdfunding or nothing, assuming that there aren't already deals being discussed behind closed doors that we are not aware of. I can understand why they don't want to go down that avenue though and why many fans would be incredibly concerned with that approach. It's an almost certainty that it would do significantly worse than the S3 KS even if there wasn't any of the negativity, manufactured controversy or anything else that surrounds the series.

As I did with Shenmue 3, I would be willing to drop some serious money on it though. Probably even more to try to compensate for the fewer backers it would get.

I honestly think it's going to have to be crowdfunding or nothing, assuming that there aren't already deals being discussed behind closed doors that we are not aware of. I can understand why they don't want to go down that avenue though and why many fans would be incredibly concerned with that approach. It's an almost certainty that it would do significantly worse than the S3 KS even if there wasn't any of the negativity, manufactured controversy or anything else that surrounds the series.

As I did with Shenmue 3, I would be willing to drop some serious money on it though. Probably even more to try to compensate for the fewer backers it would get.
I'm not personally against crowdfunding and would throw money at it for sure.

I don't think the wider media would take so kindly to it. In fact I expect they will shit on it from a great height. That said because the base assets are all there it might be easier for them to sell the idea as the concept/groundwork is all done.

Back