110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Yeah there's something strange that in if Sega didn't make it in house, the logo doesn't get used.

Recent example of this being the Outrun Arcade 1up release.

Original Arcade (Sega Logos on the Side and middle of the Top Marquee)

OutRun-side-art-fitted.jpg

1 Up Home Release

1000x1500_Outrun_per_Left.jpg

No Sega logos anywhere

Take any personal grievances with one another to PMs please!

It would only help Sega in the long run to promote their IPs even if they don't have any involvement. If the game is successful you could then make the sequel and keep all the money in house, but we are talking about Sega though.

Sega Japan did a similar reasoning in the occasion of Panzer Dragoon VR (it should still be in development), saying that the licensed game could be used to gauge interest and later convince Sega higher-up to produce a real Panzer Dragoon game in-house.

But I guess the same reasoning wasn't done for Panzer Dragoon Remake, in that case it seems more like they gave the license away "like I don't care".

Sega in any case promote lightly these games because they still get royalties, and making some posts on twitter or facebook cost nothing after all.

I remember reading article years ago on here were Sega said they had lost millions over the years and were in the red. That could be making Sega even less willing to take risk.

Sega Japan did a similar reasoning in the occasion of Panzer Dragoon VR (it should still be in development), saying that the licensed game could be used to gauge interest and later convince Sega higher-up to produce a real Panzer Dragoon game in-house.

But I guess the same reasoning wasn't done for Panzer Dragoon Remake, in that case it seems more like they gave the license away "like I don't care".

Sega in any case promote lightly these games because they still get royalties, and making some posts on twitter or facebook cost nothing after all.
I thought it got canned, but after some research, it seems there was a deleted tweet (I remember seeing it) that said SEGA cancelled the contract and that someone on the team died. But then it was deleted. The account hasn't tweeted in over a year, either.

I thought it got canned, but after some research, it seems there was a deleted tweet (I remember seeing it) that said SEGA cancelled the contract and that someone on the team died. But then it was deleted. The account hasn't tweeted in over a year, either.

We don't know what really happened, but I remember even the police was involved, probably an hacked account or something.
Thankfully those post were fake and Wildman is alive.

We're either going to be very happy or very sad on the 18th of September

View attachment 16673

Yep this is the big one as far as I'm concerned !

Also regarding the Sega licensing, they do seem bizarrely restrictive about some things. Lizardcube wanted to put Joe Mushashi in SoR4 as a bonus character but they said no, so he has a cameo in some graffiti on the sewers stage instead.

Hopefully it's because they want to license out a Shinobi game, another series well overdue a new entry.

It would be really cool if Sega sold Shenmue IP to YSNet. It should be a Thank You for your Service to Yu.
Companies very rarely let go of IP outside of having to sell assets to pay debts or if a company winds up and has to be sold off piecemeal.

That said, I believe the arrangement is that YsNet has the exclusive right to produce all future games in the Shenmue series. The IP is as good as Yu's in that respect, though the major drawback is that he doesn't see a penny of revenue off the merch sales, remasters, or anime.

This row of posts has been great, people. We should note, at least is my personal opinion, todays Sega (besides being a different company from what we knew at hardware days) just dance with the market moment. I mean, its not like they dont want to experiment but the actual Sony vs. Microsoft market is hostile to experimentation.

We had a Sega vs. Nintendo vs SNK vs Namco vs Konami vs NEC vs... In terms of experimenting, those were the days because the market itself was thirsty of innovation and it seems there's no comeback at least in the mastered polygonal 3D based hardware.
Theres a chance of revival with this voxels and raytracing window opening.

And from the rest of the info you all provided, it seems that YSnet was busy not building S4 but the structure to create S4 properly... Because maybe I overread in emotion but I understand that they're trying to replicate the old Shenmue studio but enhanced. Now after reading I feel more confident and even capable of waiting past 2022 for announce (but I don’t wish that of course).

Companies very rarely let go of IP outside of having to sell assets to pay debts or if a company winds up and has to be sold off piecemeal.

That said, I believe the arrangement is that YsNet has the exclusive right to produce all future games in the Shenmue series. The IP is as good as Yu's in that respect, though the major drawback is that he doesn't see a penny of revenue off the merch sales, remasters, or anime.

Yeah I know they would never sell it to Yu just my personal al dream world scenario.

Nintendo doesn't revive most of their IPs like F-Zero. Why on Earth would you think Nintendo would do more with Sega's IPs than Sega?

That is true. Nintendo is also only a shadow of it's former selves in the 90s and early 00s. They did way better than Sega financially and they survived until know as the only original only gaming company but they also do not innovate anymore. They also just play save and do not use their ips to the fullest.

I am not up to date with Nintendo to be honest. The last home console I had from them was Gamecube. I also have the ds and the 3ds but I am not familiar with the Wii, Wii U and Switch games.

Sometimes I came across some Nintendo News of course but these news do not sound very innovative gameplay wise.

They just seem to play save with their core ips Mario, Meteroid and Zelda without making such games exceptional

The days of games like Mario 64, Zelda 64 meteroid prime (Gamecube) are long gone.

So I doubt that Nintendo would help the Sega ips.

Nintendo doesn't revive most of their IPs like F-Zero. Why on Earth would you think Nintendo would do more with Sega's IPs than Sega?

That is true. Nintendo is also only a shadow of it's former selves in the 90s and early 00s. They did way better than Sega financially and they survived until know as the only original only gaming company but they also do not innovate anymore. They also just play save and do not use their ips to the fullest.

I am not up to date with Nintendo to be honest. The last home console I had from them was Gamecube. I also have the ds and the 3ds but I am not familiar with the Wii, Wii U and Switch games.

Sometimes I came across some Nintendo News of course but these news do not sound very innovative gameplay wise.

They just seem to play save with their core ips Mario, Meteroid and Zelda without making such games exceptional

The days of games like Mario 64, Zelda 64 meteroid prime (Gamecube) are long gone.

So I doubt that Nintendo would help the Sega ips.

So let's not turn this into a Nintendo vs Sega thing. Nintendo is a gaming company who main product is first party games. Nintendo has very poor third party support. Nintendo keeps releasing the same games over and over many of which were around when I was a kid/teenager(34 years old now). These games are still selling millions of copies. Sega also has a laundry list of IPs they can release but they don't. Someone said it here all they do is Yakuza and Sonic. Being completely honest most Sonic games aren't worth the case that holds them. Sonic Mania is good but at is core its just Sega Genesis Sonic nothing new. Sonic deserves better.

IMO Nintendo can make a better Sonic game than Sega and that probably comes down to Nintendo being in a better financial situation. Nintendo knows how to market and make first party games. It's been stated that Nintendo doesn't revive old franchises like F Zero and such. Well the fact that Nintendo already releases a ton of first party IPs and they still have more they can use some up the argument I'm tryna make.

Sega fans are so desperate for IPs you guys are willing to buy re-releases basic ports anything. It took them 15 years to port Shenmue and they didn't have the decency to make a port for the Switch which is one of the highest selling consoles out.

Nintendo made lots of money with Switch now (after the WiiU that was a real failure, the Dreamcast did way better sales-wise and game-wise), but as for games it's not that than Sega.
Thare are Mario and Zelda but it's always 1-2 games during the entire generation, the rest are ""HD"" ports, some cheap sequels like splatoon etc. and majority of their best IP (F-zero, starfox, earthboaund...) are dead.

When you compare, Sega is in better shape even without its own console.

Nintendo made lots of money with Switch now (after the WiiU that was a real failure, the Dreamcast did way better sales-wise and game-wise), but as for games it's not that than Sega.
Thare are Mario and Zelda but it's always 1-2 games during the entire generation, the rest are ""HD"" ports, some cheap sequels like splatoon etc. and majority of their best IP (F-zero, starfox, earthboaund...) are dead.

"Sega is in much better shape than Nintendo without its own console." This fanboying at it finest. Actually Sega is the the one with 1-2 games each generation Sonic and Yakuza.

Nintendo

Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Sport spinoffs
Super Smash Bros
Zelda
Metroid
Pokemon( I know its not first party but its exclusive.
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Luigi Mansion
Splatoon
Bayonetta(not first party but exclusive)
Animal Crossing

May I have a Sega list and please no games where they lent out the IP. Games developed in house please.

Last edited:

i really dont think sega are doing much with their own first party ip's, brucewayne911 is right; sega right now have yakuza, sonic, football manager, company of heroes, the sega all stars kart games (if they make another), I've heard rumours about a jet set radio come back, and theres a few smaller indy style things like SOR4, I struggle to find anymore current games from sega in house. its pretty hard to see where sega get their money from nowadays, i guess theres a lot of pressure on sonic frontiers and orgins to do well.
this probably got a little off topic but fingers crossed for september, i'd like to think that 110 industries are fans of Yu to the point theyd take the gamble with shenmue the way he envisioned it

Back