110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

He's older, but 60s isn't as "old" these days as we used to think.

That being said, I highly doubt he rides off into the sunset with his dream series unfinished in some way.

That's true. In case he remains healthy enough he could work until his 70s if he wants it. He might need to cut down his working hours due to high stress level but he is not 90 yet. Theoretically he should have some time left to finish Shenmue.

Last edited:
That's what i'm banking on; the fact that he seems willing to finish it. I dunno, maybe i'm just being cautious. After all, Clint Eastwood and Alejandro Jodorowsky are still doing films in their 90's! And yeah, I didn't mean to imply being in your 60's is "old", but that you can't take a lot of things for granted (i'm 37 and tired almost all the time!)

I just pray that if something really bad happens that a back up plan is given so that the story is finished in some way (even if it's in script format....) Not ideal, but would give some form of closure.

These guys has nothing to do with Shenmue 4. Leave them be. :ROFLMAO:

Fellows, there's more chance for Yu Suzuki surviving many of us XD If someone tells me to get his apparent health and energy when I get his age, im signing blind.

I doubt Sergio Calabacín from 110 give us any mention about S4 because it seems he's been scolded. But his silence may be more illustrative. I dont like to endorse harassing but with Sergio ill do exception and vote yes to Q&A him a lot.

I hate to stay last poster. I wouldn't mind even a 'shut up Seaman' just to take me out of it.

Last edited:
I do believe that if (when) Shenmue IV is announced, it will be released within a year of announcement. That train of thought is what is keeping me going at the moment 🙏

I think you’re right. The only reason we got news from the beginning of Shenmue 3 was because of the Kickstarter. If it goes into production they’re not going to announce anything until it’s in a VERY polished state.

They aren’t a huge studio and can’t run the risk of the narrative going straight to trashing some unpolished trailer or reveal. They were sort of obligated to be forthcoming during the Kickstarter even though it would have been more beneficial to have spent more time before releasing that first trailer.

So if development started within two years after Shenmue 3’s release I wouldn’t expect anything until the next year or two from now.

I’m still in the pessimistic camp and don’t think the game is in development but you never know.

No harm in asking on the Discord Q&A. The worst they can do is ignore it, and even then... sometimes silence speaks volumes.

As for Yu's age... creative people rarely retire in totality, because they find what they do fulfilling and rewarding. Being in your 60s didn't mean what it used to anyway. Cleaner living and modern medicine can keep people active and enjoying a high quality of life well into old age now, let alone in somewhere like Japan with a high life expectancy.

I wonder if Mr. Suzuki still smokes, I hope not.
Can confirm he does not. Peter shared an anecdote from the 2016 backer dinner a while back where Yu commented on Peter's vape and said he quit smoking a long time ago for health reasons.

I read something on a new kickstarter project today that gave me abit of hope. When asked 'why seek funds?' They said 'we have spent a long time asking companies to fund our new game but none was interested so instead of giving up, we decided to use kickstarter as a last resort.' Surely if this was the same with Yu then he would have done another kickstarter? Mind you, I think he said in an intereview that he didn't want to do that for Shenmue IV or was that Cedric?

Will Shenmue IV even be announced this year? TGS I hope .but after the disappointment (for me) of gamescom, who knows..

I read something on a new kickstarter project today that gave me abit of hope. When asked 'why seek funds?' They said 'we have spent a long time asking companies to fund our new game but none was interested so instead of giving up, we decided to use kickstarter as a last resort.' Surely if this was the same with Yu then he would have done another kickstarter? Mind you, I think he said in an intereview that he didn't want to do that for Shenmue IV or was that Cedric?

Will Shenmue IV even be announced this year? TGS I hope .but after the disappointment (for me) of gamescom, who knows..
Cedric mentioned that they'd like to avoid Kickstarter again and I can see why given all the fun and games around it.

TGS I don't think we will see anything.

do we know for sure that Yu is actively seeking out companies to make shenmue 4? isnt it possible that hes taking a break to work on other projects and taking time for research of other games etc? i do remember reading after Shenmue 3 that he said that he wished that he'd have played more modern games before making S3 (although i can't find this article now)

do we know for sure that Yu is actively seeking out companies to make shenmue 4? isnt it possible that hes taking a break to work on other projects and taking time for research of other games etc? i do remember reading after Shenmue 3 that he said that he wished that he'd have played more modern games before making S3 (although i can't find this article now)
Nothing. Just a wall of silence, Gevaudian. Which I find interesting but probably out of basis.
Atm, the only positive things which we can take for granted are:
- This is a good moment for the series thanks to the anime.
- Yu Suzuki is full of energy, making games YS.net solo or/and collaborating with other companies. He's also keeping in touch with media and public appereances, answering questions. Note that this is is not mandatory.
- He said many times he wish, he will, finish the series.
- We were teased, in a good or a bad way that depends on the eye, by a company out of nowhere.110 Industries.
- Eventually this reached Yu-san (We dont really know if he really was unaware) and his reaction as usual cant be deciphered. Is he in kernel panic? Is he doing poker face?
- So 110 Industries, specially the CEO, went on quick mutism. Event also open to interpretation.

-And last but not least important, the actual game industry has been totally eaten by the monster of huge profits, losing all humanity. Thus, everyone seems ok with one of the Father of Videogames struggling to finance games at his 65. Sorry but is coldblooded, it defeats me over. I believe the game industry huge profits should secure the work of figures like him, giving the chance of working from his house if desired.
If Nintendo does that, I'll put all my Sega stuff on a bonfire.

Back