A Completionist's Nightmare(S1)

I have to say I noticed how stingy S1 is with money on my HD playthrough. You kind of have to keep failing sneaking into the Old Warehouse district in order to build up a decent amount (and then just, not spend anything before then - hard to resist the temptation when you get free time!)

I have to say I noticed how stingy S1 is with money on my HD playthrough. You kind of have to keep failing sneaking into the Old Warehouse district in order to build up a decent amount (and then just, not spend anything before then - hard to resist the temptation when you get free time!)
What you saving up with Inne San allowance?
Why not get a job instead?
If you do perfect work you keep getting a raise till you will earn quite a lot.

What you saving up with Inne San allowance?
Why not get a job instead?
If you do perfect work you keep getting a raise till you will earn quite a lot.

I suppose the downside to that is that you don't get long to spend in Dobuita after your shift is over, so you're a bit limited to what you can spend your money on.

I should have added that as part of my criteria too. The preferred time to finish Shenmue I to make this deadline is mid to late January, no? I know her birthday is on March 3rd.
Yeah I think the latest possible is around 3rd Feb to still make it in time. If you were planning on also 100% Shenmue II you might wanna leave earlier so you have time for stuff without rushing like note book entries.

I suppose the downside to that is that you don't get long to spend in Dobuita after your shift is over, so you're a bit limited to what you can spend your money on.
Exactly my point. Well aware of the job, @Ren , having completed this game several times ;-) You get more money yes, but a lot less time to spend it. (unless you repeat one or more of the work days repeatedly of course)

Exactly my point. Well aware of the job, @Ren , having completed this game several times ;-) You get more money yes, but a lot less time to spend it. (unless you repeat one or more of the work days repeatedly of course)

I agree. Once you have started the job at the harbour, you have essentially locked out all the raffle prizes at ABE and you don't give yourself a lot of time to pile money into the capsule toy machines in Dobuita and Sakuragaoka.

And another thing for the completionists - if you don't fail the old warehouse #8 sequence, it means you won't collect the old warehouse district map!

I agree. Once you have started the job at the harbour, you have essentially locked out all the raffle prizes at ABE and you don't give yourself a lot of time to pile money into the capsule toy machines in Dobuita and Sakuragaoka.

And another thing for the completionists - if you don't fail the old warehouse #8 sequence, it means you won't collect the old warehouse district map!
Yeah, things like that mean that you have to plan a 100% playthrough so meticulously that I'd argue there's little enjoyment in doing so, to be honest :hmm:

Yeah, things like that mean that you have to plan a 100% playthrough so meticulously that I'd argue there's little enjoyment in doing so, to be honest :hmm:

Yep, which brings me back to my original point about these games not being designed to '100%' complete in the first place!

I see, that makes sense. Forgot about Abe store. So basically you have to skip buying moves.
Then again I always brought Arm Break fire earlier to focus on master it as soon as possible.
So you will always make sacrifices in some areas when choosing an alternative strategy.
You going to run out of money FAST anyway without a Job and depending on 500 yen per day just to play 5 times on gacha/store items/ can be quite frustrating. You would have to spend the rest of daya practicing hit moves so I can see the value there and at night sleep time train the other throw moves but you will be neglecting Arm break fire and tiger storm training.

Then it becomes a situation of Time vs Money just like real life! Never thought of it this way.
Yu don't even leave you time to enjoy your freedom once you get fired.

The reality is getting Shenmue 100% on a single playthough is impossible. If you consider the different routes the game have as well. You may miss new things NPC tell you each time you make progress in the story. Talking to all NPC can be quite time consuming!

Last edited:
I'm just upset I'll never legitimately see Yukawa lol it's easily the hardest thing to do in the game, perhaps next to getting both lucky hit scrolls in shenmue 2...

I'm just upset I'll never legitimately see Yukawa lol it's easily the hardest thing to do in the game, perhaps next to getting both lucky hit scrolls in shenmue 2...

I never knew he was in the game! What a surprise. It is so amazing that this game always have hidden things you not aware of.
Those secrets you discover years later make this game so incredible.

Shenmue
Ryo can obtain Mr. Yukawa Capsule Toys as a prize from the raffle at the Abe Store. Once he obtains them both then goes to Takara Sushi on the 9th of any month after 8pm he will encounter Yukawa there and they will talk about their last encounter. This dialogue was removed from the English versions of the game. Also on the day after Nozomi tells Ryo how she feels about him, after 11:00 pm, Ryo can see Yukawa at Bar Yokosuka having a drink. He can also be seen on battery boxes at the Tomato Convenience Store in Dobuita.

I never knew he was in the game! What a surprise. It is so amazing that this game always have hidden things you not aware of.
Those secrets you discover years later make this game so incredible.

Shenmue
Ryo can obtain Mr. Yukawa Capsule Toys as a prize from the raffle at the Abe Store. Once he obtains them both then goes to Takara Sushi on the 9th of any month after 8pm he will encounter Yukawa there and they will talk about their last encounter. This dialogue was removed from the English versions of the game. Also on the day after Nozomi tells Ryo how she feels about him, after 11:00 pm, Ryo can see Yukawa at Bar Yokosuka having a drink. He can also be seen on battery boxes at the Tomato Convenience Store in Dobuita.
I've never been able to get both figures in a single playthrough lmfao and using codebreaker to cheat them in didn't trigger the events...

The solution to avoid this nightmare and make it a pleasant experience is to create a Vault Mod for Save files.
That way you store your items and transfer them to your mod. So if you spend 100+ hours on shenmue I then another 100 + hours on Shenmue II Only to Realize you missed something in Shenmue II you could just reply Shenmue one get the Item you missing etc. Transfer it to your vault and then to your main Shenmue II Completed file.
I remember using this mod in Titan Quest.
Here is a picture.TQVault_2.17BETA5.png

I do put off buying moves until Ryo drains his savings account pre and post Asia Travel, the most expensive one or two after getting the harbour gig. Focus maxing out every single other move beforehand (love the training grind much better than the capsules).

Toys collecting: I highly suspected holidays seemed like better yield, though I admit never knowing there really were specific dates. As the old adage goes; you learn somethign new everyday--especially Shenmue, haha. I'm actually pretty good at getting most, even including the Yukawa's much easier than Dural Gold. If i've every toy/item, especially those you can bring to Hong Kong, except Gold, then I won't wait until the Feb or March 14 prize spikes, in order to try for the Famgei sidequest. Gold Dural is much easier to come by in Shenmue 2, which leaves only X-Wing and Kids Dural C for rare grinding.* Honestly, though, I like grinding and burning very slow, so usually the Famgei birthday is a rare treat only on XBOX or before I owned a PAL Shenmue: Yokosuka on Dreamcast.

*Finally got Kids Dural C early in Kowloon, didn't think to save, but then got hit by NPC -30 disc error. First time ever with my current copy :mad: Have a sneaking suspcion not only is this glitch exclusive to importers playing on other regions, but and/or a sign of laser potentiometers suffering from degrading volatge readings...? Not gonna take risk--need the drive to last at least until I can BBA rip all my near 200 games. Gonna need to hawk the GDemu blog constantly rather than only casually curious.

EDIT
Another decision to make for finishing by February would be having all items except Dural Gold, while still failing the old warehouse sneaking enough to get all tips from Shozo. Not only to see every scene, but just be in there more. Although, not very realistic timing, so usually I stay on course for playing as slow as possible. Absolutely adore the old district. Even after the two scroll translations by Gui Zhang I'll call him for granting access to explore during lunch or after work. Again, Famgei birthday best fits a non-save transfer or 2x play-thru. Besides, love seeing March or even April in Yokosuka--feels nice for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back