A Shenmue Story - New Shenmue Journey from George Kitchen!

I've only had the chance to play for 30 minutes or so, but what a delight this is! It's so authentic! It really feels like I'm back in the Shenmue universe. What an incredible gift, thank you so much!

Oh, and is that the Tripod sound effect from the Spielberg War of the Worlds movie at the start?

The less serious story is definitely the way to go, especially as it's a Christmas game. My Christmas gaiden game had an evil Santa, lan di in a Christmas hat, Chai as Scrooge etc. It's all good fun and suits the occasion perfectly.

The opening nightmare scene was brilliant. it was animated very nicely, and I got a good laugh seeing Ryo run away with a saturn in his arms.

The opening scene with Ryo receiving his jacket was wholesome and could easily be put into an actual Shenmue game.

I must admit, I found it a little hard to find all the piggy chans, but I suck at the bailu chan and chobu chan search in Shenmue 3, so it's to be expected.

Love the character interactions. I can see AI has been used, but honestly, you really can't tell the difference as Shenmue's VA is robotic in nature.

The environments are lovely. I did get a bit confused when I left yamanose and was walking down the hill. Almost as if there should be a barrier there to guide the player along the path.

QTES work flawlessly and I love the animated cutscenes that go along with them

The music placement is faithfully done and I love all the little extra tidbits that have been added. (TV commercial in the living room etc)

The mini games are awesome. Especially that sonic pinball game.

I did notice that one of the npcs had a visual glitch. The woman who doesn't want to speak to you.

Overall, in the hour that I played, I loved it. Im shocked that you managed to pull this off in such a short amount of time. Incredible work. Its so faithfully done and looks pretty much identical to shenmue on the dreamcast, better in some instances. This is fantastic and I love that I can hop into the game and run around Dobuita when I get the itch.

Initial impressions 9.5/10 love it. What an incredible fan game. Id be scared if you and your brother decided to make a serious shenmue story. I definitely reckon you guys could pull it off.

I'll continue to play this throughout the week and update my thoughts as I play. EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THIS GAME

Last edited:
I've only had the chance to play for 30 minutes or so, but what a delight this is! It's so authentic! It really feels like I'm back in the Shenmue universe. What an incredible gift, thank you so much!

Oh, and is that the Tripod sound effect from the Spielberg War of the Worlds movie at the start?
Yes! Someone caught the sound effect. Good job, KM.

Yes! Someone caught the sound effect. Good job, KM.
The game doesn't blare that scary horn effect at any point, does it? Maybe if Ine-san gets mad?

Love the character interactions. I can see AI has been used, but honestly, you really can't tell the difference as Shenmue's VA is robotic in nature.

The mini games are awesome. Especially that sonic pinball game.

I did notice that one of the npcs had a visual glitch. The woman who doesn't want to speak to you.
That's really the only reason we used some AI. Shenmue English voice acting has always been a bit stiff.

I'm surprised you picked Sonic. I felt unsatisfied with it upon release. You're calming my nerves. :)

The visual glitch has haunted me... Honey, Hideki, Nomura and the girl on the street walking all have that "No Snow Mask" glitch. I removed the "No Snow mask" and the glitch was still there. I just decided to keep them in the game, rather than remove the 3 characters. I made that decision at 1 am last night.. I tried everything I could do get rid of it.

That's really the only reason we used some AI. Shenmue English voice acting has always been a bit stiff.

I'm surprised you picked Sonic. I felt unsatisfied with it upon release. You're calming my nerves. :)

The visual glitch has haunted me... Honey, Hideki, Nomura and the girl on the street walking all have that "No Snow Mask" glitch. I removed the "No Snow mask" and the glitch was still there. I just decided to keep them in the game, rather than remove the 3 characters. I made that decision at 1 am last night.. I tried everything I could do get rid of it.

All good man. It's easily overlooked. We tend to be our biggest critics when we create something, but this has turned out amazing. You should be very proud of your work. Can't wait to see what you guys do in the future.

All good man. It's easily overlooked. We tend to be our biggest critics when we create something, but this has turned out amazing. You should be very proud of your work. Can't wait to see what you guys do in the future.
Already 2 weeks into the next game. :censored:
You're more than welcome to help if you'd like. As we get older, our free time to work on projects is limited, so we're taking our time with the next one. This was my first game ever, so the 2nd one will be much improved. I've learned a ton over 4 months. I hope to take 8 months for the next one.

It's really amazing how authentic everything is. I got stuck in the hazuki house with 4 from 5 piggy banks. So many interactions... I need to try harder and find the fifth. Thank you for the amazing christmas gift! :giggle:

I can't wait to get out of the house. For now, I can only look through the window from Ryo's room. :LOL:

It's really amazing how authentic everything is. I got stuck in the hazuki house with 4 from 5 piggy banks. So many interactions... I need to try harder and find the fifth. Thank you for the amazing christmas gift! :giggle:

I can't wait to get out of the house. For now, I can only look through the window from Ryo's room. :LOL:
I wonder if some people will play the game and never discover that you can open the window..

Hi, first of all congratulation for it, i think the cinematic looks really good, and the ai voice sound the same as shenmue 1 and 2 unfortunately i cant really play it because the control are messed up with my azerty keyboard (also because i sucks at playing with keyboard), i'll try to map the control to my gamepad, if you used unity new input system do you plan on making the game works with gamepad ? if you use unity old input system dont worry i know its a mess so i understand why you did keyboard only

Hi, first of all congratulation for it, i think the cinematic looks really good, and the ai voice sound the same as shenmue 1 and 2 unfortunately i cant really play it because the control are messed up with my azerty keyboard (also because i sucks at playing with keyboard), i'll try to map the control to my gamepad, if you used unity new input system do you plan on making the game works with gamepad ? if you use unity old input system dont worry i know its a mess so i understand why you did keyboard only
What if I uploaded an Azerty mapped keyboard setup? Would that help?
I assume I just need to assign the ZQSD, and A,W keys.
1703089567256.png
Someone else mentioned mapping to a controller already

"managed to map the buttons to the controller and surprisingly works well"

What if I uploaded an Azerty mapped keyboard setup? Would that help?
I assume I just need to assign the ZQSD, and A,W keys.
View attachment 19189
Someone else mentioned mapping to a controller already

"managed to map the buttons to the controller and surprisingly works well"
Alright I will do the same I will map the control to my xinput controller and will play it a lot more tonight, but from i played already im really impressed and i cant believe you manage to do all that in a short period of time really good job man

We're about to upload 1.01 with just a few collisions fixed on some walls.
Old saves wont work, but it's not a critical update to completing the game.
Great effort over the last few days to not only get this over the line in light of the release date “deadline” you set yourself, but to continue to work and improve so soon too! 💪

Alright I will do the same I will map the control to my xinput controller and will play it a lot more tonight, but from i played already im really impressed and i cant believe you manage to do all that in a short period of time really good job man

I mapped it with joytokey to my PS5 Controller. So far its play like its ment to be played.

We're about to upload 1.01 with just a few collisions fixed on some walls.
Old saves wont work, but it's not a critical update to completing the game.
Do you plan to keep on patching after release or are you shifting completely to your new game?

PS: Does the game have subtitles? Because I dont see an option for that and dont see any but in the dialoge after the first QTE (in Sakuragaoka) there suddendly are super crisp subtitles.

V 1.01 is now live. Same download link as before.

Back