A Shenmue Story - New Shenmue Journey from George Kitchen!

Already 2 weeks into the next game. :censored:
You're more than welcome to help if you'd like. As we get older, our free time to work on projects is limited, so we're taking our time with the next one. This was my first game ever, so the 2nd one will be much improved. I've learned a ton over 4 months. I hope to take 8 months for the next one.

Awesome to hear that brother. Hopefully, i'll be able to help you guys at a later date down the road. Right now, time is very limited due to family, work, and some other projects I'm working on. I wish we had access to all of this technology when we were teenagers and could work on stuff like this every day, 24/7 without a care in the world.

If you need any advice, playtesting or want to shoot some ideas, my inbox and discord are always open. I do at some point want to create something else in the Shenmue world, it's just finding the time. Part of me does think the IP will continue to live on through fan projects. This game strengthens that belief massively.

I have no doubt your next game is going to be on another level. You and your brother's work is always top-class.

Do you plan to keep on patching after release or are you shifting completely to your new game?

PS: Does the game have subtitles? Because I dont see an option for that and dont see any but in the dialoge after the first QTE (in Sakuragaoka) there suddendly are super crisp subtitles.
Subtitles became quite the task once I started trying to make them. I should probably complete them and release the game again later, just in case people want to go back and play next year. I can also release it again with a possible harbor addition. Not sure yet. I'd rather focus on fixing anything that's needed now and move to the next project.

If I said I planned to make the current game bigger and better, people may decide no to play it until then, and it's currently not in the plans.

Time Extension is certainly one of the good ones (y)

Congratulations on completing your game, George! Played it a little bit last night and it’s such a joy to be in Yokosuka again! 😍
The Shenmue atmosphere is so perfectly captured it honestly feels like an official game from back in the day; the Christmas spirit is beautifully portrayed too. I can’t say much else as I’ve stopped right after leaving the dojo, but that scene with Iwao and Ryo at the beginning was absolutely brilliant and I’ll consider it part of the canon from now on! 😛

Looking forward to playing more tonight! I’ve upgraded to version 1.0.1 and the game seems to load the old saves without apparent issues.

Been busy at work today. Trying to get caught up. The game set me back a little at work and need to get caught up.

Richard, I'm glad the saves still work, but I can't say for sure that more thorough fixes won't cause issues.

To know that the update really worked, try walking through the back wall of Manpukuken or through the table in front of the Hamburger place. If you can still walk through them, it didn't work. Save before walking through Manpuk, as you'll fall into a dark abyss.

V 1.05 now uploaded. Same link as before!

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to play the game with a gamepad? Mapping the keys to a pad using software, etc

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to play the game with a gamepad? Mapping the keys to a pad using software, etc
Try this profile for JoyToKey with an Xbox gamepad: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/s95wvlu9vsocv9s8p6djp/h?rlkey=q4ya7v37629iewjl74rc6d5ir&dl=0

Left-stick = WALK (LT=RUN)
Right-stick = Look around (RS=CROUCH)
RT = Interact (left-click)
RB = Free cursor

A=JUMP
X=FLASHLIGHT/TORCH
Y=NOTEBOOK

D-pad = Notebook

Hopefully a full analogue gamepad option will be added, as I find WASD far too manic and motion-sickness inducing. I always like the pioneering walking sim pace of Shenmue if you wanted it.

That said, it's incredible what the Kitchen brothers have achieved here. Love it.

Try this profile for JoyToKey with an Xbox gamepad: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/s95wvlu9vsocv9s8p6djp/h?rlkey=q4ya7v37629iewjl74rc6d5ir&dl=0

Left-stick = WALK (LT=RUN)
Right-stick = Look around (RS=CROUCH)
RT = Interact (left-click)
RB = Free cursor

A=JUMP
X=FLASHLIGHT/TORCH
Y=NOTEBOOK

D-pad = Notebook

Hopefully a full analogue gamepad option will be added, as I find WASD far too manic and motion-sickness inducing. I always like the pioneering walking sim pace of Shenmue if you wanted it.

That said, it's incredible what the Kitchen brothers have achieved here. Love it.

Thanks man. Really appreciate that. I'll give it a try tonight

Found a program that gives you full analog and controller support

https://antimicro.net/

You have to map the buttons and analog sticks, but it takes about 2 minutes to set up. Works really well.

I'm going to spend the evening trying to get controller support working.

Just exhausted still..

Don't worry about it brother. Rest up and enjoy the rest of the year. Do it whenever you're recharged and have some spare time.

You have to map the buttons and analog sticks, but it takes about 2 minutes to set up. Works really well.

Don't worry about it brother. Rest up and enjoy the rest of the year. Do it whenever you're recharged and have some spare time.
Can we link this to the main page so people can know how to do it?

That would be great. After reading for the last hour, I'd have to do a lot of work to get my game working with controller support as it used an engine that would have conflicts. The next project will have it from the start, but going back now could possibly breaking something else and then I'd have a huge mess on my hands.

Could you not get JoyToKey working? It's free and it works with the game. You can tweak it quite easily by double-clicking on the entries.

I've Zipped it here: JoyToKey

Can we link this to the main page so people can know how to do it?

That would be great. After reading for the last hour, I'd have to do a lot of work to get my game working with controller support as it used an engine that would have conflicts. The next project will have it from the start, but going back now could possibly breaking something else and then I'd have a huge mess on my hands.

No prob. Will update now

Don't own a pc myself but always a delight to see Shenmue bringing joy to folk.

Awesome accomplishment, sheesh!

Back