An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's highly unlikely, but would Ryo as DLC in Streets of Rage 4 work?

(I'm still waiting for my copy from Limited Run due to ordering the Panzer Dragoon Remake at the same time...)

Ryo as a guest in other games could work
but again, the tweet said if you care about Shenmue and its story.
Ryo or Lan Di or whatever as a guest appearance in other games has nothing to do with Shenmue's story.
Its just character models "imported" into another game.
Like imagine Ryo as a new character in Mario Kart or whatever,
to me thats not a fun unexpected announcement for people who care about Shenmue and its story.

If it's just DLC in Streets of Rage 4, much as I love the game and would welcome it, I'd be pretty disappointed. As I said earlier, cameos and DLC in other games really isn't a big deal or worth teasing.

SOR4 was just a silly guess from me. Of course, there's every possibility they do a SHENMUE STREETS OF RAGE SIDE STORY (there's no possibility...but wouldn't THAT be cool? I mean, Yuzo Koshiro's already hooked up with SOR4. Let's get some new original Shenmue-esque tunes...). Sega really has so many opportunities to elevate their franchises...

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be amazing if they wrapped up the Shenmue story with something like that if they had no other alternative? Certainly not what a majority of the fan base would want, but it beats a manga or an anime anyday of the week for me and it has some wider appeal as well.

Last edited:
I know this has FUCK ALL to do with Shenmue's story and will absolutely not happen, but I've always thought a Yakuza fighting game that brings all the big Tojo/Omi clan characters together would be amazing, and my dream scenario would involve Ryo cutting in with some sweet Baji/Jiu-Jitsu moves.

Yes, I am a loser.

I know this has FUCK ALL to do with Shenmue's story and will absolutely not happen, but I've always thought a Yakuza fighting game that brings all the big Tojo/Omi clan characters together would be amazing, and my dream scenario would involve Ryo cutting in with some sweet Baji/Jiu-Jitsu moves.

Yes, I am a loser.
I dig it. I'd love to see Ryo get involved with the Yakuza gang. I will keep insisting a Yakuza 0 spin-off that incorporates the yakuza from Shenmue 1 (and Ryo) would be the most incredible bit of fan service ever, especially 'cuz it's all set in the 1980s. Shame not many people would care...

Just to touch on an earlier point. I wouldn't worry too much about the people online trashing Shenmue for no real reason. Usually these people fall into one of the following categories

1) Toxic weirdos who just want to hate on something, be it Shenmue or something else

2) Those who continuously like to portray themselves as holier than thou or morally superior. When you watch their actions carefully though, you see its just a front and they're really hateful, toxic losers.

3) Those who love drama

4) Certain media outlets who want to write a clickbait hit piece

5) Those who want to jump on the bandwagon and feel as if they're part of a group, even if its a negative group

6) Those who want their cheap dopamine hits by writing something snarky to get some attention or likes/comments on social media.

I could go on but you get the point. These are very sad individuals. And to be honest, they got bigger problems in their life than a video game.

But yeah, don't let it ever bother you guys

We'll be dealing with this until the Shenmue series concludes, I can tell you that.

Just to touch on an earlier point. I wouldn't worry too much about the people online trashing Shenmue for no real reason. Usually these people for into one of the following categories

1) Toxic weirdos who just want to hate on something, be it Shenmue or something else

2) Those who continuously like to portray themselves as holier than thou or morally superior. When you watch their actions carefully though, you see its just a front and they're really hateful, toxic losers.

3) Those who love drama

4) Certain media outlets who want to write a clickbait hit piece

5) Those who want to jump on the bandwagon and feel as if they're part of a group, even if its a negative group

6) Those who want their cheap dopamine hits by writing something snarky to get some attention or likes/comments on social media.

I could go on but you get the point. These are very sad individuals. And to be honest, they got bigger problems in their life than a video game.

But yeah, don't let it ever bother you guys

We'll be dealing with this until the Shenmue series concludes, I can tell you that.
Yeah, the weird obsession some folk have with how badly Shenmue does (in their eyes) is morbidly fascinating. There's a weird feedback loop exacerbated by the internet where negativity breeds attention, and Shenmue, by virtue of being the poster boy for big projects that didn't quite meet expectations, gets a lot of flack.

I don't think it's the thing that will get announced, but there have been some success stories this generation of a game being harshly received, but its reputation being turned around with new editions and added content. I'm thinking of No Man's Sky or Street Fighter V, for instance.

A Shenmue III: Director's cut, with all the DLC included, rebalanced QTEs, no stamina system, a tweaked fighting system, HDR/4K support, better framerate, background music looping, fixed cutscenes (with no sudden fades) and a redone English translation (at least in the subtitles) could make sense. Both from a commercial perspective (the Steam and next gen release giving them the excuse to charge again for the game) and a technical one, because none of those improvements should be much work, and could have kept the team busy since release.

Maybe they could even add some of the Baisha bits they surely had developed to some degree. Or at least add them as bonus short Manga comics just like they did in the Shenmue IIx days.

I know biblical amounts of text have been written on these hallowed forums about the stamina system, but I *strongly* disagree that a supposed remaster of Shenmue 3 should get rid of stamina altogether. It's too integral to the whole point of the game, and the type of game it is, that it'd be like Star Fox Zero without dual screen motion controls or Skyward Sword without MotionPlus.

I honestly, genuinely, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die really like the stamina system in Shenmue 3. I like how careful, gradual increases in kung fu and endurance increase your stamina and slow its drain in direct correlation with the increased area Ryo has to explore.

My only wish, seriously, is that my boy Ryo doesn't have to down black garlic exclusively if he wants to get the most bang for his buck. Seriously, his breath must reek.

If we get to Shenmue IV, it'll be a nonissue unless they arbitrarily decide to reset all of Ryo's levels to 1 for no apparent reason. Now that would be absolutely godawful.

If so, booooooooooorriiiiiiing! I hope that's not it. I don't think it is, but that tweet sure is suspicious...

Dusk Golem did say not a port - but maybe he was specifically talking about 3?

He did specifically say it's not a port of 3. But then he also added "it's something new".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back