An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So by Friday we should hopefully know what this is. I think if there's nothing by Friday 11th it's probably safe to say this was all bullshit.

Whatever it is could show up at Sony's rumored event on September 9th. Even for PS5, it is well established that they don't forget the indies or smaller franchises, even for a next gen system.

My kids want Bugsnax, lol
Interesting theory. The leaker does say that he thinks that there will be a Sony event in the first two weeks of September and this is in line with his suggestion that the Shenmue news will be dropping in the next few weeks. I’m not sure that I can see Sony giving up time in their show for anything less than a full game though.

Interesting theory. The leaker does say that he thinks that there will be a Sony event in the first two weeks of September and this is in line with his suggestion that the Shenmue news will be dropping in the next few weeks. I’m not sure that I can see Sony giving up time in their show for anything less than a full game though.
Yeah. If it were a directors cut of S3 for PS5 that would at least be something, but ports have already been ruled out iirc. If not, someone please correct me. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Yeah. If it were a directors cut of S3 for PS5 that would at least be something, but ports have already been ruled out iirc. If not, someone please correct me. I'd love to be wrong on that.
Can’t see it being a port based on what we’ve been told.

Given the competition to sell consoles and the importance of taking an early lead in the console war, I always thought a PS5 exclusive S4 would be a great bit of business for Sony, but that’s not what this is either by the look of it. Suppose it’s possible YSNet have been working on a spin-off game though? If it’s Shenmue related and added new story it would probably be enough to get a decent chunk of the fan base to pick up a PS5.

Sony liked Shenmue enough to invest in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had whatever it is show up again. They had enormous success with the 1+2 punch of FF7 and Shenmue in 2015.

I fully expect an upgraded FF7R to show up at their event with a teaser of Part 2. As for Shenmue?

A possible PS5 version of Shenmue III with additional story DLC that continues to expand the narrative would be in line here. The DLC would also be available on PS4 so as not to leave the fanbase behind.

A remake of 1 and 2 to coincide with a PS5 release of 3 would be awesome. There were rumors a while back that Bluepoint had two projects going, of which one we now know is Demons Souls.

The other? Who knows. It could also be Sega resurrected the idea. We shall see. Fun to speculate and hope.

Guys...
As I've read somewhere else in the thread, I begin to fear this could be Adam's documentary, released somewhere.

The insider is a horror games fan, we don't even know if he knows anything about Shenmue.

So if he heard that "The definitive history of Shenmue" found an edition deal, as a total newbie, he could have thought it was something new.

It would be a weird move and timing from Sega to make a deal about the Shenmue story in anime, since game-wise, it is rather in the hands of Yu, and it is not done yet so the deal would kill the possibility to make Shenmue games. But the timing for an announce of the release of the documentary sounds like something we were expecting to happen around now. Don't you think ?

I will ask Aesthetic gamer about this... We will see if his announce is that disappointing...

EDIT : If you feel like it, you can like this tweet to rise the chances of a reply...

Last edited:
Guys...
As I've read somewhere else in the thread, I begin to fear this could be Adam's documentary, released somewhere.

The insider is a horror games fan, we don't even know if he knows anything about Shenmue.

So if he heard that "The definitive history of Shenmue" found an edition deal, as a total newbie, he could have thought it was something new.

It would be a weird move and timing from Sega to make a deal about the Shenmue story in anime, since game-wise, it is rather in the hands of Yu, and it is not done yet so the deal would kill the possibility to make Shenmue games. But the timing for an announce of the release of the documentary sounds like something we were expecting to happen around now. Don't you think ?

I will ask Aesthetic gamer about this... We will see if his announce is that disappointing...

Yeah, I think I speculated the same thing. I really hope it's not that, because it's not something new or exciting (don't get me wrong, the documentary is an amazing thing, but it's not something unannounced or unknown).

Guys...

EDIT : If you feel like it, you can like this tweet to rise the chances of a reply...
It isn't the Doc. Adam posts in our community group chat and said it's nothing to do with it. I do want that to get a proper release though!

It isn't the Doc. Adam posts in our community group chat and said it's nothing to do with it. I do want that to get a proper release though!
Excellent ! I didn't know that ! But I will leave my message, Dusk Gollem might tease us some more...

Thanks for the reply !

Last edited:
I’m still betting on Shenmue 1&2 on Switch + Ryo on Smash. Smash Bros Ultimate celebrates important franchises and their “stories”. It covers the “fun” part too, it being a fighting game.

Going back to the cameo DLC in other franchises and Streets of Rage 4, what if it's full on story expansions for that game based on other franchises? And expansion #1 is Shenmue?

Wouldn't it be cool if you got like a 3 or 4 level expansion based on various stories and environments taken from the first two Shenmue games? You could have multiple playable characters, like Ryo, Guizhang, Ren and Xiuying. Bosses could be Terry and/or other goons from the 70 man battle, maybe Ren who becomes unlocked once you beat him, Yuan and Dou Niu.

Levels could include the harbour, the Heaven's hang out, the Yellowhead building, maybe even one from Yokosuka or Hong Kong or something.

The speculation and anxiety among the community when there's a potential reveal is the best part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back