An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Shenmue 1&2 is announced for the Switch I'll be extremely happy but part of me would wonder why the hell they would wait so long. Also why aren't the Yakuza games being ported to the Switch. I know I've said this many times but it just doesn't make sense from a business aspect.
I think a Yakuza (Or two) was ported to the Wii U and flopped, so they haven’t bothered with Nintendo since.

Yeah, they released a Yakuza HD Collection for the Wii U in Japan only and it flopped. Although... come on, it was the Wii U. They should give the series another chance on Switch.
Basically every non Nintendo game released on Wii U flopped hard, to the point that they had to re-release Bayonetta 2 on the Switch to make a profit.

I hope that more Sega games will be released on the Switch out of the Sega Ages brand now that it's over so we can see some kind of Saturn/Dreamcast Virtual Console or ports, or just re-release things like Model 2 or 3 titles and such

I don't think Bayonetta 2 did that badly on Wii U? It's just the console flopped, so install base was low anyways. The best selling Wii U games (like Mario Kart 8) have sold way more on the Switch.

Even the worst performing Switch Wii U ports have sold better on Switch than Wii U. It's easy to see why Nintendo is doing so many (and getting away with charging full price for them)

Sega has already said they're interested in bringing lots of their back catalog to the Switch and other platforms, so there is certainly a good chance Shenmue makes the jump to the Switch. Ideally, the port would be handled by M2, but that's $$ they might not want to spend. Someone's still got to port it, though. Imagine if they handled the arcade emulation as well. :eek:

SEGA might not want to port Shenmue to Switch because they're already selling Space Harrier and Out Run separately.
Other platforms have the exact opposite problem, where Sega seemingly won't port stand-alone Space Harrier because it's already included in Yakuza/Shenmue. Drives me up the fucking wall.

Sega are so silly. As if any prospective Space Harrier fan who may have bought a stand alone release is going to pass in favour of playing it within the world of Shenmue.

An anime movie could be a different beast though. Anime series definitely (in general) cater to a younger audience and are more commercially minded works but feature length anime still commands respect and is seen as artistically worthy for adult audiences. I'd be more than happy with someone like Mamoru Hosoda being on board with a Shenmue anime feature project, especially given his last work, Mirai, was so mature in its themes.
That's true. A feature length animated film might be good, but I feel like it would be difficult to fit all of Shenmue into just one. Even done episodically, I feel like it would be a challenge to fit each game into ~90 minutes, while leaving any room for non-dialogue exposition.

I agree with that for sure, especially for the manga part. I prefer manga over anime (thou I haven't read any for a long time now). The non-moving images, often more detiled naturally leaves room for the imagination to flow. Many years ago I remember reading the manga "The Great Teacher Onizuka" and enjoyed it, a lot. But when I saw the anime I didn't like it at all. It didn't have the same vibe to it. The imagination fills the gaps when readin the manga.
For sure. There's a level of artistry in manga that doesn't really exist in anime series, partly from the lack of animation. (Particularly now, though, when almost no anime is drawn by hand anymore.) That limitation allows for more creative interactions between the author/artist and the reader, I feel.

*complaining

Haha, you're right. Don't you worry, you leave the Sharens to me.

Haha that depends what it is though.

Any Shenmue news is good news in my book. It means the series is staying relevant unlike the years prior to Shenmue 3, But I am preparing for the Sharens who will jump to unproven conclusions or throw a temper tantrum for the sake of it with no actual factual evidence.

I can't wait to hype up Shenmue Cereal all over the internet. I'm ready.

Someone post that Chai - reeos or whatever it was called lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back