An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what has become of this, but this is the only anime I can find that Cedric appears to be involved with -

Hey MJQ ! I made a post with the trailer of Cobra also linked here.
Shibuya Productions only counts 5 employees. So beside production and artistic direction, they are not directly making the movies or, as you know ;), the games.

I still believe they are behind the announce. Maybe you should investigate their website instead of the world wide web :sneaky:

He says this project is more for those "who care about Shenmue's story".

To me that sounds less like a project designed to appeal to a new audience, but something that caters to fans who are already invested in this ongoing saga.

I can't see this being a simple retelling of Shenmue in a different format to get a new audience on board based on that wording. It's probably something new that ties into the story and builds upon it.
My wild guess here is that it's a virtua fighter anime that focuses on Akira's story.

@Daidj Got it. Where did you see/hear Shibuya are announcing a new anime series on Saturday, though? I haven't seen anything that says Shibuya is involved with an announcement or that the announcement is about anime, unless you mean Cedric's Tweet? I'm content to wait 2 days anyway. There's nothing out there...

Last edited:
@mjqjazzbar I was indeed speculating about Cedric's tweet.
His job includes marketing and management. And he is kinda getting on his nerves about some insider, asking what could be rephrased like : "the producer (/Me) shouldn't be happy about you spoiling so much. But if you are the guy doing my job, then please accept my apologies". Then he gives a more accurate date... To me it looks like the boss reminding someone that HE's the man in charge, and he knows more about it than the insider.

When you add this to the insider hinting that the thing is more for people interested in the story, he rules out a videogame or Dlc, if an anime is what's more than a book : it is Shibuya's main activity.

It is speculation, as the last 50 pages of this thread. But I don't see anything else coming on saturday. Mark my words :cool:

Last edited:
I see... I was starting to think you work for Shibuya too. :eek:

I like Anime to some degree. Still watch some very old ones from the 80s and 90s and I am always glad when I find a hidden geme. Not so fond of the modern anime though. The animation still looks less nice then the hand drawn stuff and mature stories are quite rare in the modern productions compared to the past.

And how is this Anime supposed to work? A generic Shonen Anime with Action and Comedy is the least thing that Shenmue needs.

A more mature approach would be better, but this approach would sell the least. They would make the most Cash if they turn Shenmue into generic Shonen Martial Arts Anime with comedy segments.
Tomino Yoshiyuki is always talking about how deficient Japanese animation has become in terms of telling stories, and I completely agree with him. He has a bunch of great quotes about how essential it is for young people looking to make anime or movies to appropriately study classic literature and art. Recently he kind of jabbed at one of those new animated film 'wunderkinds' (I think the one who spun his studio off from Ghibli) by saying something to the effect of 'from my [generation's] perspective, it doesn't take any kind of special effort to write something introspective.' (quoting from memory).

One of the reasons I would be apprehensive about Shenmue anime is that if it weren't being overseen by Suzuki, I could see it falling into the same lazy, stereotypical story structures of most modern animation. That would be a real travesty, even if it invited a wider audience to the material.

I love Cedric, but I can't defend this, poor Astro Boy :(
I actually really like that art style for a reboot, and in general that trailer feels like it captures the essence of Astro Boy, without just emulating Osamu Tedzuka's art style. That's one of the things I find so offensive about the Castlevania animation: It essentially tries to emulate Japanese animation, while just not being as adept at the style, ultimately being bland and uninspired (it also feels pretty try-hard, in general).

Just looking at this trailer makes me nausious, with the nonsense narrative editing, stupid dialogue, and Alucard being so completely absurd. All of it is like a new level of comical, and cringeworthy, for me, and I love classicvania (especially Akumajou Densetsu).

I would probably feel fairly good about Shenmue not being animated in a typical Japanese animation style, personally.

A little bit of a sidetrack, and I'm not really trying to depress anyone, but I was sucked into this channel a bit by their retrospectives on Suikoden 1-2 and Terranigma--despite them propping up so much dreck around it, like the worst of the FFs and such.

I didn't know there was a movie made for the story in Dragon Quest V (possibly my favorite in the series, and an absolute delight), but I found this to be an interesting video on the challenges associated with adaptations. (Just looking at the footage in the video, I'm already like, 'Where is his the daughter!')

Scrolling through twitter I totally expect this to be the big announcement.

Oh, whoa! How much would I have to pay to get transcripts of these!

I actually really like that art style for a reboot, and in general that trailer feels like it captures the essence of Astro Boy, without just emulating Osamu Tedzuka's art style. That's one of the things I find so offensive about the Castlevania animation: It essentially tries to emulate Japanese animation, while just not being as adept at the style, ultimately being bland and uninspired (it also feels pretty try-hard, in general).

Just looking at this trailer makes me nausious, with the nonsense narrative editing, stupid dialogue, and Alucard being so completely absurd. All of it is like a new level of comical, and cringeworthy, for me, and I love classicvania (especially Akumajou Densetsu).

I would probably feel fairly good about Shenmue not being animated in a typical Japanese animation style, personally.

I agree with you for both Astro Boy and especially Castlevania.
yes, at least Astro Boy is doing its own thing and not try to emulate the original anime.

Unfortunately I don't like the style of western cartoons and animation, so I personally hope that if this project is an anime, it's a 100% japanese anime, with a decent studio and decent budget, and a decent length (at least 10 episodes, it would be really disappointing to have a 5 minute short episode).

Finger crossed for a game related announcement.

I agree with you for both Astro Boy and especially Castlevania.
yes, at least Astro Boy is doing its own thing and not try to emulate the original anime.

Unfortunately I don't like the style of western cartoons and animation, so I personally hope that if this project is an anime, it's a 100% japanese anime, with a decent studio and decent budget, and a decent length (at least 10 episodes, it would be really disappointing to have a 5 minute short episode).

Finger crossed for a game related announcement.
That's fair. Preferences are preferences. Personally I like The Venture Bros. about as much as I like GitS: SAC or Kino's Journey, so it technically doesn't make much difference to me whether it's Western produced or not, as long as the art style is consistent, and evokes the proper tone.

Yeah. I mean in an ideal world Studio Ghibli would make a 100-hour Shenmue series, but we're not getting that so I'll take a lower budget art style if the story is great. Hell, I'll take anything that says Shenmue on the label as long as it isn't Shenmue Karts.

That's fair. Preferences are preferences. Personally I like The Venture Bros. about as much as I like GitS: SAC or Kino's Journey, so it technically doesn't make much difference to me whether it's Western produced or not, as long as the art style is consistent, and evokes the proper tone.

Yeah, consistency and tone are really important.

Apart my personal preferences I would prefer also if original Shenmue staff would be directly involved in the anime (Yu Suzuki actively supervising, Kenji Miyawaki at design, Ryuji Iuchi and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi at music and so on).
Also it would be easier for a japanese animation studio to convey in animation all the original staff works.

It would be (way) more difficult for a western studio.

Yeah. I mean in an ideal world Studio Ghibli would make a 100-hour Shenmue series, but we're not getting that so I'll take a lower budget art style if the story is great. Hell, I'll take anything that says Shenmue on the label as long as it isn't Shenmue Karts.

Agree "Shenmue Karts" would sux, "Shenmue Outrun" is the way!!! :cool:

Folks, I don’t know if this has been said already, but what if the Shenmue announcement is related to the Netflix “High Scores”? Maybe an entire episode based on Shenmue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back