Better Textures by Streamer2k (OVERHAUL Texture pack) - Native mod: It works without SpecialK! -

better-textures-caratula-youtube.jpg

"Better Textures" mod is an overhaul texture pack that enhances a lot of textures in Shenmue replacing the vanilla textures with HD ones. Most of the textures included in this pack have 2k/4k resolution (and bigger!).

My goal throughout this project is to remain true to the original visuals and artistic Yu Suzuki vision, so I continually refer back to the original texture assets to ensure this, respecting the texture colorimetry and patterns with which Yu Suzuki envisioned his game.

This is an stand-alone version so you won't need to install SpecialK nor anything else. You only need to copy and paste some files to get this to work, that’s all! To achieve this, I have used the SDTextureOverride method explained by LemonHaze here in the dojo.

"Better textures" replaces fauna, flora, terrain, rocks, roads, walls and much more.

It can be downloaded from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30/

If you want more information about progress updates or how to support the project, please visit my blog: https://shenmuehdretextured.wordpress.com/

As an optional step you can also install Forklift in order to enable the HD retextured pigeons and Timex watch straps included in this pack. Otherwhise pigeons and Timex strap will have low-def vanilla textures. That’s because pigeon and straps models are loaded by the engine itself and d3t didn’t set them up to be compatible with SDTextureOverride method. So I had to mod the pigeon and strap model itself, and replace the texture there.

Changelog:
UPDATE 28/09/2021: Better Textures v4.1 ready to download. Info and screenshots in post 61
UPDATE 21/09/2021: Better Textures v4.0 ready to download. Info and screenshots in post 56
UPDATE 15/09/2020: Better Textures v3.1 ready to download. Info and screenshots in post 46.
UPDATE 10/09/2020: Better Textures v3.0 ready to download. Info and screenshots in post 38
UPDATE 10/10/2019: Better Textures v2.1 ready to download - Fixed misplaced texture at warehouse nº 8.
UPDATE 09/10/2019: Better Textures v2.0 is now ready to download. Info and screenshots in post nº 20.

If you want "Better Textures" for SpecialK open the spoiler:
First things first. As a prerequisite, you will need SpecialK 0.10 and my full mipmapcache pack.

1. Full Mipmap Texture Pack for SpecialK (Shenmue I)

This pack contains up to +6200 generated mipmap textures to use with SpecialK.

SpecialK automatically generates and stores in disk missing mipmaps for textures in order to get a clean, sharp and smooth image quality.

The problem is that the first time you enter an area or meet an NPC you may find that farther textures are completely black because the mipmap hasn’t been generated yet. Only the next time you start the game, after the mipmap has been generated and stored in disk in your first run, SpecialK will display the texture correctly without issues.

That’s why I have played Shenmue I from the start to the end to generate all the needed mipmaps for every texture to solve the issue of black textures.

So, if you are going to install SpecialK, I strongly recommend you to use this mipmap texture pack in order to have a good experience without issues in your first run.

A few mipmaps for capsule toys or rare items may be not generated, but I think 95% of textures are included in this pack.

* This pack is ONLY for Shenmue I. No mipmaps included for Shenmue II. *

You have to download this mipmap pack and follow all the instructions from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/26

I've copy pasted in the spoiler the install instructions you'll find in nexus. It is very important to follow all the steps carefully:

This pack contains up to +6200 generated mipmap textures to use with SpecialK.

SpecialK automatically generates and stores in disk missing mipmaps for textures in order to get a clean, sharp and smooth image quality.

The problem is that the first time you enter an area or meet an NPC you may find that farther textures are completely black because the mipmap hasn’t been generated yet. Only the next time you start the game, after the mipmap has been generated and stored in disk in your first run, SpecialK will display the texture correctly without issues.

That’s why I have played Shenmue I from the start to the end to generate all the needed mipmaps for every texture to solve the issue of black textures.

So, if you are going to install SpecialK, I strongly recommend you to use this mipmap texture pack in order to have a good experience without issues in your first run.

A few mipmaps for capsule toys or rare items may be not generated, but I think 95% of textures are included in this pack.

* This pack is ONLY for Shenmue I. No mipmaps included for Shenmue II. *

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Please, Follow these instructions carefully to avoid any inconvenients:

Step 1 – Download and Install SpecialK It is strongly recommended to use SpecialK v0.10

You can download SpecialK 0.10.0.24 from here: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_special_projects/SK_Sekiro_HDR10.7z

OR

If you want to use RESHADE, download SpecialK 0.10 for Reshade from here instead: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_special_projects/SK_Sekiro_ReShade.7z

Unzip the file and copy all the extracted files into sm1 folder.

Do NOT use SpecialK 0.9.x. This version has critical bugs such as random black textures, random misplaced and missing textures as well as stability issues.

Step 2 – Download and unzip this mod (Full Mipmap Texture Pack) and copy the “Mipmapcache” folder into the SpecialK inject texture folder, usually under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SMLaunch\sm1\SK_Res\inject\textures\

installroute.jpg

Step 3VERY IMPORTANT! Protect the mipmapcache folder against writing following these instructions:

Why? Shenmue uses procedural textures to recreate effects like smoke, steam, dust and other particles. For example the teapot in the Harbour Tomato Store or in the Alpha Trading Office generates procedural steam textures all the time. In fights, smoke and dust particles usually appear when hitting opponents.

teapot.jpg

Ok, so what’s the problem? SpecialK can’t manage well procedural textures. It will try to generate and store mipmaps for all the procedural textures that appears ingame, generating thousands and thousands of mipmaps in few minutes until collapsing the mipmapcache folder.

You will notice a lot of activity from your hard drive trying to store thousands of mipmaps from these procedural textures until you leave the area or finish the fight. This is especially problematic in the "70 men battle" because it is a very long battle.

So, If you don’t want this to happen, you have to do the following:

Step 3.1 - Right click on your mipmapcache folder (usually under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SMLaunch\sm1\SK_Res\inject\textures\mipmapcache) and select Properties on the context menu.

p1-final.jpg

Step 3.2 –Click on the Security tab and then click the edit button in order to change permissions.

p2-auth-final.jpg

Step 3.3 – In the new window titled “Permissions for Mipmapcache”, select “AUTHENTICATED USERS” or “EVERYONE” user In "Group or user names" box.
Then go to the scrolling box titled “Permissions for Authenticated Users (or Everyone)” and scroll down until Write option.
Check the box DENY for Write permission.
Click Apply, Yes, Ok and Ok to close both windows.

p3-authe-final.jpg

Step 4 –You are done! Enjoy the perfect experience and don’t forget to install my texture packs!

p4-auth-final.jpg

FAQ
Common problems:

Question 1 - I forgot to protect my mipmapcache folder against writing as stated in step 3 and now my mipmapcache folder has grown a lot with thousand of dds files. What can I do?

Don’t worry, you only have to delete some files. Open the mipmapcache folder with your file Explorer. Open the subfolder “Shenmue.exe”. Click on View tab. Select View-> Details and Sort by -> Size.

Mipmap caches generated from procedural textures have a size of 2 KB (1492 bytes). So, select all the dds files with a size of 2 KB (you can click on the first 2KB file and then with control + shift + click select the last file with a size of 2KB in order to select the group of files) and remove it.

Don’t forget after that to protect the folder against writing.

delete2kb.jpg

Question 2 All the textures are white! What can I do?

whitetextures.jpg

Probably you forgot to protect your mipmapcache folder against writing as explained in step 3 and now you have so many textures in your mipmapcache folder that SpecialK can’t process them. Follow the same procedure used above for question number 1.

Question 3 I prefer not to mess with system permissions. Is there any other solution to prevent the massive generation of mipmap textures?

Yes, thereis another way but it is not optimal. You have to turn off mipmap generation but doing that the textures will be more pixelated and less smooth. You have to look for the option GenerateMipmaps in the .ini config file of SpecialK (d3d11.ini in v0.10 or dxgi.ini if you are using SpecialK for Reshade or SpecialK v0.9):

[Textures.D3D11] Cache=true
PreciseHash=false
Inject=true
InjectionKeepsFormat=false
GenerateMipmaps=false

Unfortunatelly with SpecialK v0.10 the option doesn’t seem to work. Something is preventing to make thechange permanent because everytime the game starts, generatemipmaps value reverts back to true in the ini file. At least with the versions that I have tested, so you will have to use SpecialK 0.9 if you want to disable generatemipmaps.

2. Nature Overhaul for Shenmue I

This pack replaces all flora and fauna in Shenmue I with HD textures. Most of these new textures have a resolution of 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 pixels.

This pack includes HD textures for:

Tree’s foliage, leaves, barks and branches.
Tree backgrounds
Bushes
Grasses
Flowers
Plants
Plant pots
Christmas and New Eve ornaments
Shenhua’s intro environment textures (trees, plants, bushes and mountains)
Opening intro nature textures
Snow textures
Moon texture in Shenhua scene
Fauna (Cats, dogs, birds, fish)
All these textures include their snowy version if it is required.

27-1561238653-2003647420.jpeg

27-1561238361-1284747660.jpeg

You can download Nature Overhaul from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/27

I've copy pasted in the spoiler the install instructions you'll find in nexus. If you have already installed SpecialK 0.10 and the mipmapcache pack, you can go directly to step 3:

Please, Follow these instructions carefully to avoid any inconvenients:

Step 1 – Download and Install SpecialK It is strongly recommended to use SpecialK v0.10

You can download SpecialK 0.10.0.24 from here: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_special_projects/SK_Sekiro_HDR10.7z

OR

If you want to use RESHADE, download SpecialK 0.10 for Reshade from here instead: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_special_projects/SK_Sekiro_ReShade.7z

Unzip the file and copy all the extracted files into sm1 folder.

Do NOT use SpecialK 0.9.x. This version has critical bugs such as random black textures, random misplaced and missing textures as well as stability issues.

Step 2 – Download and Install my Full Mipmap Texture Pack from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/26 following the instructions step by step that you will find in the link.

(IMPORTANT: DO NOT FORGET TO PROTECT YOUR MIPMAPCACHE FOLDER AGAINST WRITING TO AVOID POTENTIAL PROBLEMS AS EXPLAINED IN THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE MIPMAP PACK THAT YOU WILL FIND IN THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE)

Step 3 - Download and unzip this mod (Nature Overhaul) and copy the “Nature Overhaul by Streamer2k” folder into the SpecialK inject texture folder, usually under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SMLaunch\sm1\SK_Res\inject\textures\

instalar-nature.jpg

FAQ:

1 – I have installed another mod that replaces the same textures included in Nature Overhaul. The textures I am getting ingame are from the other mod. How can I see ingame the Nature Overhaul textures?
You will have to merge both mods. It’s simply. Copy all the files included in the “Nature Overhaul by Stremer2k” folder and paste them in the other mod’s folder (usually called “Streaming” folder) overwriting them.

Last edited:
Very nice work, really love what you've done!

Do you not plan to make 'native' mods for Shenmue, or are you just doing SpecialK mods?

I ask because SpecialK does not work for everyone and brings its own issues. You should be using a proper 'Shenmue' approach to texture replacements, either using the SDTextureOverride.json method, or by editing the textures inside the models containers and texture archives (PKF).

Last edited:
The new version of my texture pack is ready to download. Now it is an stand-alone version, so yoy won't need to install SpecialK or anything else. Unfortunatelly, SpecialK was very problematic for Shenmue doing the installation process very tedious and difficult.
But now, thanks to Lemonhaze and his Flipper tool the installation process is easy and fast! As simply as copy-paste some files. That’s all!

My texture pack is now called "Better Textures", it replaces fauna, flora, terrain, rocks, roads and some walls and can be downloaded from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30/

As an optional step you can also install Forklift in order to enable the HD retextured pigeons included in this pack. Otherwhise pigeons will have low-def vanilla textures. That’s because pigeon models are loaded by the engine itself and d3t didn’t set them up to be compatible with SDTextureOverride method. So I had to mod the pigeon model itself, and replace the texture there.

Looks stunning dude. Great work.

I've installed it and had a slight issue with it creating screen shimmer/tearing.

I'm running the Widescreen Mod and the Audio Restoration Project and have Forklift installed

The PC is an AMD Ryzen 5 2700x
Radon 570 8GB graphics card
16gb RAM
Windows 10.

Any suggestions what might be causing it?

Looks stunning dude. Great work.

I've installed it and had a slight issue with it creating screen shimmer/tearing.

I'm running the Widescreen Mod and the Audio Restoration Project and have Forklift installed

The PC is an AMD Ryzen 5 2700x
Radon 570 8GB graphics card
16gb RAM
Windows 10.

Any suggestions what might be causing it?
Thanks! I think you are refering to the flickering of the vanilla textures. It seems vanilla textures doesn't have mipmaps in this game. That's why they seem to flick/shake a bit like an old videogame. This effect is more obvious when you install an HD texture pack because you will notice that the HD textures are smooth thanks to the mipmapping while the non-replaced textures have this weird effect.
SpecialK solved this issue, but at the same time, it brought many other new issues.

To minimize this problem I suggest forcing the anisotropic filtering to x16 from your graphic card control panel.
Also, I think that raising the "Super samping" percentage in the Shenmue options can help a bit.

Thanks! I think you are refering to the flickering of the vanilla textures. It seems vanilla textures doesn't have mipmaps in this game. That's why they seem to flick/shake a bit like an old videogame. This effect is more obvious when you install an HD texture pack because you will notice that the HD textures are smooth thanks to the mipmapping while the non-replaced textures have this weird effect.
SpecialK solved this issue, but at the same time, it brought many other new issues.

To minimize this problem I suggest forcing the anisotropic filtering to x16 from your graphic card control panel.
Also, I think that raising the "Super samping" percentage in the Shenmue options can help a bit.
Ah awesome. Thank you for replying so quickly.

I'll try out those suggestions and see how they look. Great work :)

OMGOMGOMG!!!

Love the work! Can't wait to bootcamp my new mac for these mods.

I'm a bit of a purist (as much as anyone can be when it comes to the HD re-releases) and can be a little dogmatic when it comes to changing the appearance of the game but what you've achieved is very sympathetic and a close match to the look of the original textures, wonderful work.

Hello, I installed your mod but none of the textures appear to have changed. I uninstalled special k, also have forklift and still vanilla textures.

Hello, I installed your mod but none of the textures appear to have changed. I uninstalled special k, also have forklift and still vanilla textures.
Are you using the Shenmue's Gamepass version? Mods only work with the Steam version. Make sure you have my .tac and .tad file into ...sm1\archives\dx11\data folder.

Are you using the Shenmue's Gamepass version? Mods only work with the Steam version. Make sure you have my .tac and .tad file into ...sm1\archives\dx11\data folder.

Yes I am using the Steam version. It seems when I reinstall the game it works with your mod but if I add the widescreen exe or the audio mod, the texture mod no longer works.

Yes I am using the Steam version. It seems when I reinstall the game it works with your mod but if I add the widescreen exe or the audio mod, the texture mod no longer works.
This is very strange. SdTextureOverride Method is compatible with any Forklift mod and exe edits.
I have made a test installing the widescreen ner0 mod and the audio restoration mod and both works flawlessly with my texture pack.
No idea what can be the problem in your case. If you don't install any other custom .tac/.tad file mod you shouldn't have problems with my texture pack. Maybe @LemonHaze can figure out.

It's more than likely a user issue. This is how d3t patch the game, and no patches have never been successful in being patched. So it's most likely some sort of user issue.

@pilman

You should check the guide and potentially restart from the beginning, by uninstalling and reinstalling your game, while ensuring you have a backup of any save games you have.

@Streamer I found out what was causing the issue, I did a vanilla reinstall and your mod now works for me with widescreen hack and the audio but I am experiencing issues using the dreamcast textures and it turns off your mod.

Lemonhaze advised me this was an issue with the sdtextureoverride but I have been unsucessful finding a workaround unfortunately.

@Streamer I found out what was causing the issue, I did a vanilla reinstall and your mod now works for me with widescreen hack and the audio but I am experiencing issues using the dreamcast textures and it turns off your mod.

Lemonhaze advised me this was an issue with the sdtextureoverride but I have been unsucessful finding a workaround unfortunately.
Streamer's mod includes his textures overrides and dt3's in the json. If you want to use his mod and the dreamcast textures one you have to unpack his mod and edit out all the entries between { } that have a blank "TextureID" in SDTextureOverride.8f5015c9.json (they are at the top), and then pack it again. You can pack/unpack with ShenmueHDTools.

The dreamcast textures are already in the game. That mod is just a blank SDTextureOverride.8f5015c9.json file, which disables all the texture overrides using this method.

Alternatively you can use Forklift to replace the json. Just put it in sm1/mods/tex/assets/textureoverride with the name sdtextureoverride.json.8f5015c9.00000000

Streamer's mod includes his textures overrides and dt3's in the json. If you want to use his mod and the dreamcast textures one you have to unpack his mod and edit out all the entries between { } that have a blank "TextureID" in SDTextureOverride.8f5015c9.json (they are at the top), and then pack it again. You can pack/unpack with ShenmueHDTools.

The dreamcast textures are already in the game. That mod is just a blank SDTextureOverride.8f5015c9.json file, which disables all the texture overrides using this method.

Alternatively you can use Forklift to replace the json. Just put it in sm1/mods/tex/assets/textureoverride with the name sdtextureoverride.json.8f5015c9.00000000

Thanks, which files should be packed? When I try to create the tad do I only use the file under assets?

Thanks, which files should be packed? When I try to create the tad do I only use the file under assets?
Just use the unmodified Streamer2K_Better_Textures.tac/tad and extract the tac/tad I have uploaded in the same directory. That should do it in theory. And get rid of the dreamcast textures mod if you have it installed.

Attachments

• st1-dc_SDjson.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back