Bloodstained reached 1 million copies

Like I said many times, the fate of this game was sealed the moment it become a laughing stock during the kickstarter. All the negative opinions of kickstarter were transformed later in a low metascore.

of course the issues were the questionable kickstarter campaign and no marketing from deep silver, but also a part of the fanbase is to blame.

It's also not a problem of general public that apart kickstarter, was generally positive/neutral toward the game when finally released, and I always read very positive opinions from the few new people who started just with Shenmue 3 (maybe if the metascore was around 80, many people would have given the game a chance).
The biggest haters of this game were some of the vocal fans that felt entitled to go around every forums on the planet spreading their negative opinions.

Let's get it straight: it's fine to have different opinions, but given the very difficult position of this series, Shenmue fans can't act like fools, they should be wiser.
Sometime it's better to just remain silent instead of being super-negative (with the excuse of being "objective") and only damage the already slim chances to continue the series.
I do not think thats the case, while the drama had an impact on the game metacrite is not flawless and it is hard to sell to someone that does not already loves the franchise, so an average of 7 would be quite fair by today standards.

As a matter of fact I had expected to be ranked far worse on metacritic with all the drama it had.

Yeah , Bloodstained is the most bargain basement generic game genre out there. It cast such a wide net how could it not be a hit? A side scroller! By the casual gamer loved Castlevania guy? Not only that but Bloodstained is multiplatform, even on Switch. That's a layup. Shenmue III would gave sold 1 million units like Shenmue 1 did if Peter Moore didn't fuck up and discontinue the Dreamcast early. Then he pulled the dickhead move of selling Shenmue 2 US rights to God damn unproven amateur Xbox instead of industry Juggernaught PlayStation. Now here we are.

This has been proven as debunked.

Also, in hindsight, it was the correct move: if Sega doesn't pull out of the hardware race, 90% chance they don't exist AT ALL today.

The answer is easy: Budget.

The budget that Bloodstained had was enough to make an awesome 2D Castlevania style game while Shenmue 3's budget was 20 million dollars that is really low for an open world type game.

Shenmue 3 even had less budget than Lair game(A PS3 exclusive game from 2007 that had the budget of 25 million dollars.)

This has been proven as debunked.

Also, in hindsight, it was the correct move: if Sega doesn't pull out of the hardware race, 90% chance they don't exist AT ALL today.
Yep. Sega was already dying when the Dreamcast was in development. It was a Hail Mary that just didn't work out... Anyone who says otherwise needs to read more about what was happening at Sega.

Back