Cherry Tree - Hazuki Residence

James Brown

Administrator
After 20 years, i'm still finding some amazing surprises in Shenmue that I personally never knew existed!

I recently went to check out my Bad Ending save, and I saw something that I had never actually noticed before. The Cherry Tree in the Hazuki Residence had green leaves and thin buds!

Why is that special you may ask? Well it had me thinking...the bad ending happens on April 15th...which is towards the end of Cherry Blossom season in Japan...

So I checked up on the typical dates for a Cherry Tree to be in bloom, and roughly in Tokyo the best viewing would be around 31st March to the 7th April. So I decided to investigate to see if anything happened to the tree around those dates...i'd never thought to think or look to see...I just always ashumed the tree stayed the same (mainly because the game is easy to complete before the end of December, so the tree has no reason to change).

I skipped to March 26th, and was shocked & surprised to see just how detailed Yu Suzuki and his crazy team took this...

I decided to take screenshots and video footage for each day up until the bad ending, and if you aren't aware of this being a thing in Shenmue like myself, prepare to be blown away!

Amazing! Good work!!

This has me wondering if we will see lots of new things if we start progressing in the main story i feb/mars instead of desember.

Are there any mods to change dates, or can it only be skiped in the flashlight scene?

This is definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in S1. :eek:
And it looks like most people (me included of course) missed this.

Wonderful attention to detail, and it's great that we've been finding more of these little gems as of late.

(By 2050, we're going to discover there's actually a key to the shed hidden in Fuku-San's sternum, released after using the pit blow on him 3,500 times. Once opened, it is revealed that Chai has lived there all along.)

I believbe on my near-bad ending long play I noticed the buds, but have never kept going long enough to see them fully blossom. Another reason to do a new file...!

We used to have a great thread for this kinda thing, shame it got buried

The flowers around the garden also change too

Thanks for the good video

We used to have a great thread for this kinda thing, shame it got buried

The flowers around the garden also change too

Thanks for the good video

Wow nice, missed that video the first time around! That Japanese fan basically did the same thing :) really cool!

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone, glad you enjoyed the vid :)

Probably not. Recently was asked about Nozomi Sakuragoaka fight and i don't think he could recall. Surely random programmers and animators did things under the radar, especially for a team the size of Shenmue. There's a reason for all the special thanks in the credits, basically every single subsidiary touched the game in some way, despite AM2 getting the credit.

Has anyone did a mod to bypass the April date to see if summer and fall was programmed into this game? That would be interesting. I mean it is possible to see the sunrise with a hex edit mod, so it could be possible.

Back