Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry. There's no debate here. COVID is real and it can be deadly. Congrats to anybody who got through it okay before vaccinations arrived and I hope they have no long-lasting effects (so-called "Long COVID", which is still desperately under researched), but in the UK at least the disease primarily tore through the elderly and clinically vulnerable until stronger protective measures were put in place (even then they remain desperately inadequate), and neither of those things mean that your life should be worth less because others who might recover want to go about life as normal - especially when the mass spread of COVID is eminently preventable.

Coming into a thread to spout some inaccurate numbers and then cite obsolete CDC data from 2020 before we had better understanding or any vaccines... looks like classic pot stirring. No room here, go elsewhere with Trump/UKIP conspiracy theory horse shit

If you'd like the discuss the obvious bureaucratic fails, sure, then frame the context, don't just casually post false information in a single sentence.
What was the false information stated?

Oregon Pacifist has privately requested that his account be permanently banned. It's a shame that this is what it came to, but it is what it is.

We're now considering the matter closed.

Could you give me a permanent ban allso? Ban all my ip adresses ive used for my account!

So sick of sensoring the discussion about covid-19, and im fully vaxed!

The theme song to the game plays in my head EVERY TIME I see/hear the word lol

Why is such an intense and heavily political topic like the coronavirus even allowed here? Too many people are just going to get banned for saying the wrong opinion. If I were you I wouldn't allow any such an I N T E N S E topic like COVID at all.

banned for saying the wrong opinion
Deal with facts and science then. Not "opinions". Opinions backed up by evidence and facts and a solid methodology is fine, I tend to find there's quite a decent allowance given here for a range of opinions to be discussed. The issue - even more so with Covid recently - is an awful lot of people, who have no doubt had more STIs than accredited qualifications in the area they are so opinionated about (and write things like "should of" instead of "should have" - That's an observation, not a dig at anyone here), think watching a shitty Youtube video with a few discredited cranks pumping out bullshit statistics and propagating flawed "science" means they know more about the subject than the scientific consensus of highly intelligent and qualified individuals who are experts in their fields, having worked in it for most of their lives.

Most of us are done with the conspiracy theorist cranks, after having to constantly wade through their idiocy online for nearly two years. I think I lose a brain cell every time I read "NiNeTyNiNePoInTNiNeNiNeNiNe PeRcEnT sUrViVaL rAtE, iT sAyS dIeD wItH cOvId BuT hOw MaNy DiEd OF cOvId"

I don't think misinformation and flawed data is just saying a wrong opinion.

Last edited:
Deal with facts and science then. Not "opinions". Opinions backed up by evidence and facts and a solid methodology is fine, I tend to find there's quite a decent allowance given here for a range of opinions to be discussed. The issue - even more so with Covid recently - is an awful lot of people, who have no doubt had more STIs than accredited qualifications in the area they are so opinionated about (and write things like "should of" instead of "should have" - That's an observation, not a dig at anyone here), think watching a shitty Youtube video with a few discredited cranks pumping out bullshit statistics and propagating flawed "science" means they know more about the subject than the scientific consensus of highly intelligent and qualified individuals who are experts in their fields, having worked in it for most of their lives.

Most of us are done with the conspiracy theorist cranks, after having to constantly wade through their idiocy online for nearly two years. I think I lose a brain cell every time I read "NiNeTyNiNePoInTNiNeNiNeNiNe PeRcEnT sUrViVaL rAtE, iT sAyS dIeD wItH cOvId BuT hOw MaNy DiEd OF cOvId"

I don't think misinformation and flawed data is just saying a wrong opinion.
I get what you're saying but talking about such an intense topic like covid on the internet of all places is just asking for trouble.

I get what you're saying but talking about such an intense topic like covid on the internet of all places is just asking for trouble.
I think it depends on the nature of the forum and group. That said, I do find it weird that Covid has become an intense topic and has become almost as divisive as politics has with the recent trend of culture wars dominating debates and the rise of Trump and Brexit etc, as well as strong left wing movements also growing behind figures like Sanders and Corbyn.

Covid and vaccines really shouldn't be political, but hey ho, some have been lost down the rabbit hole of conspiratorial nonsense. That's not to say that I think every governments or all our experts have got everything right, or that some models have not been flawed (right now the UK's experts are using London as their bellwether for what will happened with Omicron in the UK as a wider country, when there's a huge disparity between the national vaccination stats and that of London's), but there a limits to how much can be debated, and I think it's fair enough of site moderators wish for misinformation and fake news to be propagated within their site.

When the pandemic turns into an endemic later this year the next big crisis will soon be the mental health crisis that will permeate the news stations. Mark my words.
Very good point. From what I heard, a depression isn't "enough" to get psychiatric help for most children since the pandemic. I believe the isolation hits them the hardest. They are still developing their social behaviour after all.

Very good point. From what I heard, a depression isn't "enough" to get psychiatric help for most children since the pandemic. I believe the isolation hits them the hardest. They are still developing their social behaviour after all.
Thank god the lockdowns & the Pandemic did not exist when I was a kid. Born at the right time I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back