Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm out with my son and decide to take him out for some pizza. Regardless of this outbreak, I always carry around some alcohol gel with me but this time forgot it in the car. Not being bothered to go back and get it, I go into the supermarket and see the shelf is empty. I got into a chemist and it's the same thing.

On my news app, there is a video of people fighting over toilet paper in Australia. Has the world gone mad? What's sad about the whole thing is that it creates a domino affect. I'm now thinking about what happens when I run out of my current batch of toilet paper so do I go out now and stock up?

The situation is just so stupid. Yesterday during football games they didn't do the traditional handshake but they're happy for the footballers to scream in each others faces, pile on top of each when they score and the rest of the general contact in the sport.

Has the world gone mad?

It officially did a while back. We just haven't had a proper demonstration of it yet.

Nah, I just think the madness of two world wars in a relatively short period of time rendered us somewhat sane for a brief period. We're now returning to our default state.

On my news app, there is a video of people fighting over toilet paper in Australia. Has the world gone mad?

I live in Australia...and I still don't understand the logic behind this...what the bloody hell is the point of stockpiling Toilet Paper for a virus that has shown no signs of even affecting gastro? Trust me, there are many of us here looking at that madness and shaking our heads in disbelief. :ROFLMAO:

Has the world gone mad? I don't know. I tend to think the world has always been mad and humanity is just pretending to be "normal" because it's easier than admitting we're all crazy in our own right. ;)

In all seriousness, I was thinking about going back to Tokyo for a week in May....but I'm seriously doubting it now considering all this shit involving the virus. I don't know if its worth taking the risk. Even though the odds don't seem that high, I still just don't know if its worth taking the risk?

Last edited:
I live in Australia...and I still don't understand the logic behind this...what the bloody hell is the point of stockpiling Toilet Paper for a virus that has no shown signs of even affecting gastro? Trust me, there are many of us here looking at that madness and shaking our heads in disbelief. :ROFLMAO:

Has the world gone mad? I don't know. I tend to think the world has always been mad and humanity is just pretending to be "normal" because it's easier than admitting we're all crazy in our own right. ;)

In all seriousness, I was thinking about going back to Tokyo for a week in May....but I'm seriously doubting it now considering all this shit involving the virus. I don't know if its worth taking the risk. Even though the odds don't seem that high, I still just don't know if its worth taking the risk?
I don't think it's taken Japan by storm. Only thing you'll be missing out on is if you arrive to find the entire city under quarantine which is not likely to happen.

I don't think it's taken Japan by storm. Only thing you'll be missing out on is if you arrive to find the entire city under quarantine which is not likely to happen.

It hasn't. I think it's more so the general fear of "there is always that odd chance though" but then again I suppose it's no different living here in Aus....always a chance here as well.

I'll either risk it in May or wait until October...that's been my current thought plan regarding my annual Japan trip for this year.

dont know about hand gel but the supermarkets came out and stated they are not running out of pasta/beans/toilet paper etc, its just people are emptying the shelves faster than they are stocked (they get filled at night)

Mass hysteria for a virus that is NOT unlike the common cold/flu and actually has a lower mortality rate than the aforementioned 2 (for now, anyways) in developed countries, that have healthy adults and proper healthcare services.

Same thing with SARS in 2003 and Swine Flu in 2008 or whatever; just live your life normally and limit your public event exposure a bit, WASH YOUR HANDS LIKE YOU SHOULD DO EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE and you'll be fine.

I actually kinda want to get it/wouldn't be opposed, so that my body can build up an immunity of sorts, just in case of a reprisal (my immune system is insanely-good).

But of course, if I didn't get it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it ;)

Educations centers from kindergarden to college closed for 2 weeks in Madrid starting Wednesday. Also Work From Home is recomended. I am hipocondriac and I am more afraid of people over reacting like it is some kind of zombies movie than any other thing

The situation here is a lot worse than the official figures would have you believe. Hospitals and clinics are actively refusing to test people for the virus and the official advice from the government is for people experiencing the symptoms to stay at home and avoid seeking medical advice unless in critical condition.

The government’s thinking seems to be that if they don’t confirm cases of Coronavirus, the Olympic committee won’t cancel the Olympics. Their plan may well end up working, but their half-arsed approach is putting peoples’ lives at risk and there are many people who are extremely dissatisfied with how they are choosing to handle things.

Last edited:
And just as I write that yesterday, the US has 2% higher death rate from the virus than the rest of the world :(

Regardless though, the point stands; I have a Chinese (Singaporean, but Chinese background) co-worker that has already put her tinfoil hat on and is telling everyone that the reports of the US Government creating this virus in China and releasing it, is 100% true.

And just as I write that yesterday, the US has 2% higher death rate from the virus than the rest of the world :(

Regardless though, the point stands; I have a Chinese (Singaporean, but Chinese background) co-worker that has already put her tinfoil hat on and is telling everyone that the reports of the US Government creating this virus in China and releasing it, is 100% true.

Tell her it's probably down to the below. With that said, the U.S. has done some fucked up shit in the past.

US is going to be worse probably than in Europe or any other country with a PUBLIC health care system. Also here in Madrid people is so fucking stupid that they are going in mass to the supermarket but they are buying fresh food only...

After questioning the sanity of the world, I'm also going to be stocking up on goods to an extent. Went to my local supermarket the other day and the pasta shelf was empty. The situation is only going to get worst - that situation being more people clearing shelves than the actual virus so I'll probably be getting a few things just in case. What sucks hard is that I'm in the middle of looking for a new job (I'm unemployed as of now) and I can see that also being difficult.

Getting pretty chaotic on a daily basis now, especially working in a hospital. Looks like we are going into lockdown as of next week.

I finish tomorrow for 2 weeks and go on holiday to the Canary Islands, as long as the airlines don't cancel. Just trying to go about my daily life and not let it bring me down.

Stay safe folks.

Here in England, the government aren't doing anything. No cancelation of large gathers, no lockdowns, no mass testing. Heck, you can't even get tested unless you've been to one of the seriously affected countries or been in contact with a confirmed coronavirus person. They also are continuing to let people in from Italy, Iran and China at the airports without checking or screening them for the virus. The infected numbers continue to rise, the death is also rising. Madness.

Make some preparations people for you and your loved ones, and as always stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back