Death Stranding

To anyone curious, the video I posted above earlier is only a safe room, except it’s far more interactive than safe rooms in other games that have them as well. The Evil Within, Hallow Night, Resident Evil, Persona 5, etc all have safe rooms but generally they are just used to save the game or heal. Safe rooms in Death Stranding serve that purpose on top of other more meaningful experiences, while also being a place to relax and to customize your gear.
This is why it’s so amazing to me, this is just a very simple concept that’s been taken several steps ahead.

Below is a more action oriented aspect of Death Strandings gameplay. Watching from the beginning and reading and actually paying attention to the translation gives you great insight into what Kojima is trying to do.

Kojima is making it worse PR wise.

Gaming forums and gamers on Sns are having a field day on DS atm.

Sony may need to start trying to do some damage control. It's gunna be a rocky launch from the looks of it and PR misteps.
What is SNS?

Anyways between this and the "Oh but then everyone will say it's a walking simulator!" interview, Kojima has been getting weirdly defensive over the game. It just seems uncharacteristic of his usually silly, modest, and kind of ambiguous self.

Posting tons of videos from Youtube of people acting outraged or nitpicking doesn't prove a thing. There's been tons of movies and games that have been torn to shreads online which have done fine.

I didn't see a single person online say a good thing about Trump so by that measurment Hillary Clinton should have won the election by about 98%.

The comments you see on the internet aren't what everyone is thinking they're just generally the loudest ones. People don't click a video or article that says Death Stranding is good looking, it get's attention and people look when they say it looks like the best thing ever or awful and embaressing. People have to get extreme to get noticed.

Maybe try posting your own opinions and concerns about the game rather then just keep posting Youtube videos and saying "Look!"

Maybe try posting your own opinions and concerns about the game rather then just keep posting Youtube videos and saying "Look!"
Thats what we are doing the last weeks and the response its: ahhhggg stop talking shit about the game I like it its GOTY

Yes stuff like:

Its GOTY because Kojima made it and the press and a lot of people loves kojima's cum. The last good game was MGS3, FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

Ok let me rephrase. Maybe try posting your own opions and concerns which don't look like they was copy and pasted from a Youtube comment section made by a teenager.

Yes stuff like:

Ok let me rephrase. Maybe try posting your own opions and concerns which don't look like they was copy and pasted from a Youtube comment section made by a teenager.
Yes, I gave a shitty youtube comment. And a lot of big and long comments about why I dislike this game that you, in this case, prefered to ignore.

Are we gonna play that game? Because I can give you the opposite too: a youtube fanboy comment who definetelly loves Kojima's cum no matter what anyone says:

Dont care what anyone else saya, this game looks AMAZING to me. Thats all that matters.

And I'm not the only one saying it's a boring game. Kojima is. So if you feel triggered by that, go to Kojima's twitter to say he's wrong about his own game.

At least he was honest this time. Points for him, gotta say.

Saying a game looks amazing doesn’t make you a fanboy. Also the fact you’ve used Kojima cum again is just weird, seriously try saying that out loud and not sound like a Youtuber who’s gimmick is being angry. Things can exist that other people like without the stupid comments, as much as you think it does the entertainment industry isn’t there to try and please just you.

Also if you read the actual interview with the context rather then a snippet you’ll see that’s not what he said. He said it’s slow building like the film Alien and doesn’t give you everything up front like Star Wars or Terminator so some people who prefer that might not be loving it until they’re halfway through. The fact he’s referring to narrative rather then gameplay means that it’s not that the game won’t be fun to play for half of it.

After watch watching the DS 49 minute demo I'm seriously hyped for this game. Kojima is presenting a gaming experience I've never seen before. I know alot of people will disagree with this but watching that demo reminded me of when I first played Shenmue. Shenmue hooked me because it was completely different than any game I had ever played before, the story unfolded slowly and it had many layers to it. DS seems to be going down the same road. Everything looks bizarre, new and innovative. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. When Kojima showed the element of keeping your balance with the left and right triggers I thought that concept was pretty cool. DS is looking pretty impressive IMO.

People going around using the “Even Kojima says the game is boring!!!” argument is making themselves look like fools. Gameplay of most games generally progresses, and becomes more fun. Like, of course later parts of a game have potential to be more interesting than the start. For example in Shenmue you start the game in your house, just looking through rooms, talking to your caretaker, or going around town just talking to people. Walking? Talking!? BORING! It’s not a while until you get into a fight and the potential of other gameplay is revealed.

Also the people making that argument miss the fact that Kojima is being hyperbolic.

Except the detractors aren’t actually missing anything, they know what he meant when he said that parts of a game are more boring relative to other parts. They’re just being disingenuous, in an effort to satisfy their own biases and disinterest, and sometimes even irrational hatred between creator and game. It’s okay to not like a game though, I won’t fault anyone for that. Making dumb petty arguments to try to negatively impact the interests of others is pretty pathetic though, but I’ve decided I won’t directly respond to people that spout such nonsense. Instead I’ll sometimes do what I am now, pointing out the obvious without engaging directly, because arguing about this with anyone is super fucking stupid and not worth my time.

I really cannot see qualities of Shenmue in Death Stranding. @ShenmueTree To me Death stranding looks a generic 8th Generation open world game, (my most hated genre this gen) . The characters Looks weird, everything is just weird.

You can relate much more to Ryo, then the Porter Bridges or is is Sam Porter? I do not know.

Death Stranding is just a row of weird Things that is put together in a game? Really not my Cup of Tea.

But I do not mind if some other People are going to love it.

Not every game is for everybody. But comparing Death Stranding with Shenmue is a bit strange.. I would rather compare it with your average Open World Game, like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

Alright I'm gonna make peace. It's something I said before but nobody reads me.

If you like the game good for you. If you think it's fun, good for you. I'm not against the game or Kojima. I'm against THE WAY this game was sold. They (Kojima? Videogame press? Sony? Idk and I dont care) sold this like a game that will like to absolutelly everybody. And this is not a game for everybody. Even people who likes a few kind of this games like me (Firewatch, The Stanley parable, The begginers guide, etc) it's hard to get in, so this is not a niche game, it's a niche of the niche games.

Now everybody looked the gameplay and see what the game is, and people realized they been fooled. Because if Kojima wouldnt present this a TGS, the game would sell millions because of Kojima and the way they sold the game. Now, with the cards on the table, they see the game and won't buy it. If you think this is going to sell millions like The witcher 3 or Zelda BOTW, you are completely wrong.

And for the people who "dont understand why the game and Kojima are getting so much hate": again, the marketing campaign tried to fool them. Not to you, because you love it, but how would you feel, for example, if Shenmue 3 turns out to be a totally different game not-shenmueish at all? There's absolutelly NOTHING of Shenmue 1/2 in Shenmue 3, you would feel bad? Fooled? Scamed? Well, this is the same.

Oh, one more thing. And I will stand this till death. The fact that this is a niche game, doesnt justify that all Shenmue player should like it or "not giving shit to it". This is not a Shenmueish game, just share the same category. Nothing more, nothing else.

What was the game sold as? If anything I’ve felt the game has looked more appealing to your casual fans as time has gone on, the first few trailers were weird as fuck with babies in throats and shit and each trailer has got more ‘normal’.

Every trailer showing actual gameplay has shown Norman Reedus travelling while carrying packages or shooting sequences in the ‘other world’. It’s never been sold as anything else like a RPG.

Last edited:
I really cannot see qualities of Shenmue in Death Stranding. @ShenmueTree To me Death stranding looks a generic 8th Generation open world game, (my most hated genre this gen) . The characters Looks weird, everything is just weird.

Death Stranding is just a row of weird Things that is put together in a game? Really not my Cup of Tea.

Yeah, everything I saw of that gameplay felt like a bunch of ideas ripped together from other games...or a bunch of fringe ideas that on the side could be novel but as a entire game? Well I just don't know...

I've already decided that I'm not buying it on day one...I just don't have time to sink into it and there are other things that take priority for me over Death Stranding. Sorry, but Shenmue III will take way more priority over Death Stranding for me. I say that simply from a "given the two, I would rather spend time with Shenmue over Death Stranding" perspective and nothing else.

But what I saw in that gameplay video was just a bunch of cobbled together ideas taken from other games. Survival Mechanics? Check. Persistent World where you can leave traces behind for other players to find? (Dark Souls; Journey) Check. Take care of this weird ass baby? Check (Yakuza 6 did it with Haruka's kid as a side activity.) Or if you want to go one step further and say "it's about building a connection" then you could say Ueda beat him to the punch a long time ago as all of Ueda's games have been about you and another stuck in a desolate land building something of a connection.

Everything about the game just looks like a bunch of cobbled together ideas from other games. Or a bunch of ideas that may be cute on the fringe but taken as the main game? Well, I remain unconvinced. On the one hand, I want to believe that Kojima may be trolling us all and this may prove to be something amazing in the long run (ti's not unlike him to do something like a bait and switch)....but just based on everything I've seen...it just looks like a bunch of ideas that he saw other games already do lifted with no cohesion or reason as to why? That's the part I'm waiting to see whether it pans out or not...will this add up to something? Or will it all add up to nothing more than Kojima smelling his own farts?

Is he trying to make a statement about the general disconnect that social media has had on humanity? If so, why are we chasing likes in this game? I'm holding out some semblance of hope that it will add up to something in the story that will make it all come together.

I just generally thought it looked tedious...micro management the game and I don't know, just doesn't appeal to me.

But I really don't see anything new about this game gameplay wise...it just seems like a bunch of mechanics I've seen other games already do.

Last edited:
I too wanted to beleive he has something genre defining and revolutionary as it was hyped to be but the evidences so far isn't convincing. It just looks and plays gimmicky. So I too will be sitting this one out till its reasonable(time/budget/sales) for me to give it a spin for the novelties.

Back