Decision Time! PS4 or PC Version? (KickStarter)

I usually don't like PC Gaming but man, that trial demo ran like butter, had no issues or crashes or the sort. I might go PC.

What if the demo turned so many PS4 players into at least grabbing the PC version second or instead of PS4 whatsoever; they'd need to rethink their retail cancellation haha.

I got the Ps4 version. Always been a console gamer and I will always be a console gamer. Not a pc gamer at all. My Pc is just a working device primly so It would be able the run the game anyway. PS4 is the only option.

Golden Qr never ran slow mo. Pigeon Fountain and the Golden Mall while next to the fire show are the only two parts to legit buckle frames below even what I consider palatable. Nevertheless, lke all Shenmue slow down, it is easily averted by simply using the trigger to walk and stick to look about, which is my favorite part of Shenmue anyway--gazing around upon the nature and architecture.

1570055009430.png
This bit did on my DC, soon as I walked past the mall entrance it would drop like a rock. I agree with you though it actually looks pretty cool, Ninja Gaiden 2 had a similar thing where you fight a load of dudes on a staircase.

I have pre-ordered the PS4 digital deluxe edition, but after buying an RTX 2070 and seeing it in native 4K, I will have to pre-order it for the PC at the end of the month. My Pro will hit those stats, and no doubts will be capped at 30fps. Whilst I agree that its a console game, all that really matters to me is what controller I use, and to be honest I hate the PS4 controller. A console is just a convenient PC anyways, so whatever hardware it takes to really show what this game is made of, I will go with.

Welcome (y) Shenmue in ultra 60 fps will be mind blowing. If some of you have still money in your pocket, don't hesitate to spend on good audio surround material as well, although I don't know to what extent YSnet took care of that part.

For collecting purposes i say go for the physical PC.

With comparisons of the low and High settings in the demo. I might have to buy a PC because of this game at a later date. Keep in mind that am from the stone age and dont know jack about computers.

The best option for preservation will always be physical media with the data written to it in read only memory.

I watched a couple of backer trial demo streams on Twitch and there were dozens of people
where you could see that their PC was not capable of maintaining stable 60 fps in the middle of that small village.
(very high, 1080p)
I'd just like to mention that recording and streaming can reduce the framerate by 10-20 depending on the specs of the PC. For me, it all ran buttery smooth. The fps dipped to 57-58 when the small town was loading, but it lasted a few seconds at most.

The PS 4 version will last foreven, but the PC version will be unplayable at some point, get the PS 4 version.

I can kinda see the logic behind this but I disagree with it.

Oh yeah, at what point will that be? I can play games from 30 years ago on my PC.
I assume Zoltor is talking about when it eventually (years away) gets pulled from EGS (or EGS goes down) and we are unable to download the game again. This is happening gradually to a number of games on the PS Store (most recently in August when DuckTales Remastered was pulled from all digital storefronts and now cannot be downloaded, and mainly has something to do with licensing issues).
However, In response to Zoltor's comment, in the PC space, this really doesn't affect us as there will be a cracked version or executable of the game anyway which means we can create a backup for eternity, and can run it on any system/PC upgrade going forward, which means higher resolutions & frame rates.
Sticking with my $500 main pledge on PC Physical as it will be very rare, and keeping my second pledge for PS4, with multiple PS4 collectors coming too.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, at what point will that be? I can play games from 30 years ago on my PC.

Generally It's 2 generations removed, so probally about 10-12 years. Usually a fanbase will patch a game 1 gen removed, and it will be easy to get running, but while they'll do their best to patch it again, getting a game that's two gens, let alone more remove, ranges from nightmare-might as well be impossible.

Blame MS for that BS on PCs, because they're the ones constantly spinning out new OSs like It's candy, and then dropping support, so you're forced to upgrade.

That's not even getting into the issue of digital vs physical.

Last edited:
Generally It's 2 generations removed, so probally about 10-12 years. Usually a fanbase will patch a game 1 gen removed, and it will be easy to get running, but while they'll do their best to patch it again, getting a games that's two gens, let alone more remove, ranges from nightmare-might as well be impossible.
What? lol Completely lost me here. We don't have "gens" in PC gaming. We have old DRM that will be removed/unsupported by Windows (aka SecureRom) but that's easily taken care of. Granted if you want to go back so far, you have to use something like DosBox but still, we can play those games. Not really following you here.

What? lol Completely lost me here. We don't have "gens" in PC gaming. We have old DRM that will be removed/unsupported by Windows (aka SecureRom) but that's easily taken care of. Granted if you want to go back so far, you have to use something like DosBox but still, we can play those games. Not really following you here.

PC actually does have gens, but it works on completely different timing, then Consoles do. OSs are by their very nature generation divides, and MS is constantly forcing people to upgrade to new OSs, that aren't BC by default.

PC actually does have gens, but it works on completely different timing, then Consoles do. OSs are by their very nature generation divides, and MS is constantly forcing people to upgrade to new OSs, that aren't BC by default.
No OS's are not generation divides. Do you see a generational gap between 7, 8 and 10? Nope. The only difference here (that I would be willing to take as a "generational leap" which it really isn't), would be the implementation of Directx 12, and how it was only for Windows 10 (something that Microsoft have now ported back to Windows 7). Even if it was a generation leap (which it's not) all games have support for older versions of DirectX anyway like DX9 etc.

Also, different PC "gens" wouldn't be defined by their OS, they would be defined (if anything) by changes in the architecture (x64 x86 etc) in which we have been on the same for many years now. At the same time if the hardware did dictate this and we do move on to a new instruction set, do you really think that they wouldn't have any backwards compatibility much like we have now with x86 x64 (and dosbox)? I hardly think they they would drop support for something that is so widely supported from every game / program out there... Even if they did (which they won't), there would be compatibility modes & emulators such as DosBox to go back and run them.

I play Warcraft Orcs and Humans, a game from 1994 with no issues what so ever on every Windows since then. PC gaming wasn't even big back then, so do you really think that now, when PC gaming is such a huge market, that in 10-12 years, we won't be able to play these games? lol

Anyways, back to the thread topic, personally my main $500 pledge was the PC Physical and I'd prefer to play it that way. I do have a PS4 backer Physical and multiple PS4 copies coming too, and my only worry is that the CE's get here a few days before the official release of the 19th. With a PS4 game, if it comes early, you can slap in the disc and play straight away, however, with the PC Physical, we will be able to enter the code on EGS, but we won't be able to play until EGS unlocks the game, I assuming on midnight of the 18th. If the PS4 versions come 1-2 days early (like they usually do in the UK) it's going to be really, really hard for me to not start playing on that lol. At the same time, I really don't want to do that, because then I'll have to replay however far I get into the game again, when the PC version finally unlocks.

Last edited:
ive heard some talk about people stockpiling modern console games for the future but apparently they forget about all the updates needed, which playstation/xbox could decided not to give out.. i guess with pc thats not a problem.

i like the idea of pc gaming but its expensive to me. (ps4 only )

No OS's are not generation divides. Do you see a generational gap between 7, 8 and 10? Nope. The only difference here (that I would be willing to take as a "generational leap" which it really isn't), would be the implementation of Directx 12, and how it was only for Windows 10 (something that Microsoft have now ported back to Windows 7). Even if it was a generation leap (which it's not) all games have support for older versions of DirectX anyway like DX9 etc.

Also, different PC "gens" wouldn't be defined by their OS, they would be defined (if anything) by changes in the architecture (x64 x86 etc) in which we have been on the same for many years now. At the same time if the hardware did dictate this and we do move on to a new instruction set, do you really think that they wouldn't have any backwards compatibility much like we have now with x86 x64 (and dosbox)? I hardly think they they would drop support for something that is so widely supported from every game / program out there... Even if they did (which they won't), there would be compatibility modes & emulators such as DosBox to go back and run them.

I play Warcraft Orcs and Humans, a game from 1994 with no issues what so ever on every Windows since then. PC gaming wasn't even big back then, so do you really think that now, when PC gaming is such a huge market, that in 10-12 years, we won't be able to play these games? lol

How old are you?

Duh yea, MS generally puts out multiple OSs during a gen, but they don't support them all that long. Windows 7 Isn't Ancient, infact It's byfar the best OS they have ever made, yet they're dropping support for it, in 2020.

I dare you to try to get a game made for like win 95 working even on a win 7 PC, good luck with that(it was a pain to even get such working on XP).

I've been around for ages, I see PC, even true physical PC games wisked out of existence all the time, due to nothing else but MS forcing new OSs on everyone.

You say that, yet MS can't even make their own utility programs work on their newer iterations of windows lol, so yea don't expect them to magically make older games continue to function.

First of all, I'm done having a conversion with someone who can't even be bothered to read the thread.
I dare you to try to get a game made for like win 95 working even on a win 7 PC, good luck with that(it was a pain to even get such working on XP).
I already said that I play Warcraft Orcs and Humans, a game from 1994 on Windows 7 (as I agree with you that it is by far their best OS) and no, I'm not talking about the recent GoG release, I'm talking about the physical disc from 1994. I also collect a large amount of Big Box PC games going back to that date, so I can for sure tell you that a lot of them still work now and will also continue to work way into the future.

Either way, Let's agree to disagree, cba and we are derailing the thread.

Back