Decision Time! PS4 or PC Version? (KickStarter)

First of all, I'm done having a conversion with someone who can't even be bothered to read the thread.

I already said that I play Warcraft Orcs and Humans, a game from 1994 on Windows 7 (as I agree with you that it is by far their best OS) and no, I'm not talking about the recent GoG release, I'm talking about the physical disc from 1994. I also collect a large amount of Big Box PC games going back to that date, so I can for sure tell you that a lot of them still work now and will also continue to work way into the future.

Either way, Let's agree to disagree, cba and we are derailing the thread.

Blizzard games are the exception of exceptions. You can still pop in Diablo 2 as well, and works no problem, no need for patches or anything. I don't know how Blizzard pulled off what no one else has, but yes, Blizzard games are thus far immune.

I'll give you a good example, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was basically gone forever, until out of nowhere it was rereleased for steam, and even better yet the original wii(as a unlockable in that POS Indiana Jones, and the Staff of Kings game, but It's super easy to unlock).

How about Sierra games, they don't have it much better, fan comunites had to entirely remake them, and the list goes on

View attachment 4591
This bit did on my DC, soon as I walked past the mall entrance it would drop like a rock. I agree with you though it actually looks pretty cool, Ninja Gaiden 2 had a similar thing where you fight a load of dudes on a staircase.

Oh, perhaps PS4 has something to do with your slow down (did you do the screenshot yourself?) Although all things considered for being a 6th gen game, when games were becoming evermore complex--let alone the Shenmue engine--im sure some parts of the emulation/porting caused different moments of slow down.

I honestly forget about HD and always presume DC still haha

No dude,I just grabbed that screenshot to show the area. There's definite slowdown there on the DC version, it's even covered in the digital foundry shenmue 2 video- timestamped below. It's really not a problem though, I'm glad YS / AM2 pushed the tech rather than dial back detail.

Part of me still thinks I should go for the PC version, but I could really buy them in the stores digitally when they go on sale... I'm questioning if having the Physical Edition really makes a difference, but then again, I will have 2 other PS4 Kickstarter copies that will remain sealed anyway - I'll be playing on my retail version. So I suppose a different variant can't hurt.

I did ask the KickStarter peeps if the Physical Edition will have a code, seems it will:
1570091491166.png

No dude,I just grabbed that screenshot to show the area. There's definite slowdown there on the DC version, it's even covered in the digital foundry shenmue 2 video- timestamped below. It's really not a problem though, I'm glad YS / AM2 pushed the tech rather than dial back detail.

Hmm, weird, I've never gotten worse than sub 20FPS slowdown besides Pigeon Fountain, Golden Mall first floor and forklifting past the lunch stand.

I switched my physical PS4 copy to physical PC since I'd possibly get a Steam code someday. I have the Digital Deluxe pre-ordered for PS4 and also pre-ordered the LRG Collector's Edition so I have pretty much everything covered.

I got the PS4 version since I don't have a PC that's powerful enough to run Shenmue 3. Plus I have Shenmue and Shenmue 2 on PS4 so like to keep them together. Maybe one day I"ll get Shenmue 3 on PC.

I don't have any consoles and prefer modding so i chose the physical PC copy. running an RTX 2070 and 1440p 144 hz monitor.

In the end I went for a PC version too, I don't have a competent PC srt-up yet, but with the chance of a Steam copy within a year too that is pretty appealing... besides I still have a PS4 KS Edition & PS4 KS Collector's Edition & many more retail PS4 editions incoming...yikes!

PS4...Shenmue was conceived as a console game.
PC, it plays with a controller on PC, it was made on PC, 1&2 were made on PC LOL. They had to be restricted to play on that limited console, I don't want that in 2019. Give me retextures made by the fans dramatically improving it years after it comes out even. Give me ways to fix whatever there is wrong with it to me at launch way before any official fix. Thank god they did decide this time to go PC also. I wish they did right then in 1999, might have saved the series.

I went PS4 for the Kickstarter version because I’ve already pre ordered a Digital PC copy from EGS, but to be honest? After seeing it run at a buttery smooth 60fps on my PC (playing on 1080p TV with V sync turned on), I think I might do my initial run on PC just for that frame rate.

That high frame rate is so buttery smooth and I loved it. Would be hard to go back to potential 30 on PS4
Besides your sale means Epic sees it's viable on PC. Very important for Shenmue 4. I don't want to buy a console for it, not at all. I would hate it.

Back