Do you think 2019 will finally be the year it releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with the push of the next gen consoles in 2020 I think a 2019 is really ideal. But I am pretty confident we'll see a later 2019 release. A trailer at Gamescom would have really boosted my confidence in that theory though.

I have a feeling it'll be 4th Q of 2019, maybe even first Q of 2020, the whole slacker backer extension says to me personally they aren't super deep into production to the point of no return.

I'm hoping they simply don't rush it just to appease a minority of impatient people, a rushed game is forever bad after all. I want as much polish as possible out of this game and I am willing to wait.

"a rushed game is forever bad after all."

Rushed? They were the ones who said it would come out in 2017... Then 2018... Then 2019. I really don't think they're rushing it, we're safe there. The concerns and anxiety of fans and backers can be alleviated by showing off more development progress and gameplay. I think people would be fine with a 2020 delay, as long as we actually get a concrete release date, we've actually seen something substantial and we don't have to wait too long into 2020.

If it does push to 2020, then that won't be great since I think PS5 will launch that year...

And I don't think a 4 year dev cycle is "rushed" at all.

This. Agreed 100%.

S3 now has a potential market of 80 million PS4 users and probably just as many PC gamers (no idea how big of a gaming platform PC is).

After the PS5 comes out, most of those 80 million PS4 users will not be very interested in new PS4 games anymore and we're not even talking about the new PS5's hype which would overshadow S3. In fact even the build-up to the PS5's release at some point in 2020 could overshadow a lot of PS4 games which are planning to release in 2020.

It's crunch time for Yu and his team. This whole "polishing" talk is great in theory but the reality is, the PS4 won't live forever.

One of Shenmue's biggest problems in its history have always been the platforms it was on. Being released on two niche consoles which both have been utterly crushed by the PS2 in terms of market share didn't help Shenmue as a franchise. Releasing it in on a dead PS4 won't either.

If this game comes out in the fourth quarter of 2019 we're "all fine and dandy" but frankly, four-and-a-half years of development is anything but rushed. If they can't incorporate all the ideas Yu has for S3 or can't polish it soon enough, my advice would be to cut back on those ideas. Save them for S4 and release a smaller but polished version of S3 in 2019.

We need to stop kidding ourselves. I may get flamed here on the forums for this but I'll say it clearly and we all know it: Its PS4 or never for S3.

There was an article posted recently by a reputable tech site in Japan that had quite a bit of technical information on the PS5 targeting a late 2019 release, possibly into 2020.

They usually get things right, so I would say Q1 2020 is absolutely the farthest back they can go, but Fall 2019 would be the most ideal.

Was just thinking same day S3 trailer or something crazaaay.

August 21st is an important day for Shenmue fans because of the re-release. It's the first time Shenmue has had any kind of official release since the original Xbox. I do not expect any Shenmue 3 news or trailers to come out of Gamescom, but I'd love to be happily surprised.

Many notable games from the PS3 era are being re released on the PS4, and I would hope we see Shenmue 3 ported to the PS5 with the sort of things you'd expect like 4K@60fps, and some graphical touchups. We'll certainly get Shenmue 3 in 2019, but I hope thats just the beginning.

I'm thinking end of 2019.
I don't mind that they keep on delaying the game though. The more delays, the better the game.

Something else to think about: however long they take to crack this Shenmue 3 puzzle.... Shenmue 4 will be an absolute walk in the park by comparison. This current game is THE biggest hurdle.

I'm thinking end of 2019.
I don't mind that they keep on delaying the game though. The more delays, the better the game.

Something else to think about: however long they take to crack this Shenmue 3 puzzle.... Shenmue 4 will be an absolute walk in the park by comparison. This current game is THE biggest hurdle.

I agree with this 100%. If they can make Shenmue 3 a success, they can just build off of this new foundation for the remaining games in the series for far less money.

From the way I see it, a mid-to-late 2019 release would be for the best. If they push it back to sometime in 2020, it has the potential to intersect PS5 release plans & hype. That, in my opinion, isn't good.

In my mind, this game's release date has and always will be TBA until we see actual gameplay footage.

August 21st is an important day for Shenmue fans because of the re-release. It's the first time Shenmue has had any kind of official release since the original Xbox. I do not expect any Shenmue 3 news or trailers to come out of Gamescom, but I'd love to be happily surprised.

How bout that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back