Does Shenmue need a reboot?

Most of you would disagree that Shenmue needs to be rebooted but imagine if it was:

Restart the story from the beginning and rebuild from scratch. Modernize wherever possible. To go back to the beginning after a long hiatus.

We are all aware of Shenmue's niche appeal and you may not care that it is not a mainstream franchise and suggest it stay that way but if something can be done by completely rebuilding Shenmue from the start that would get it to spike in popularity and become a AAA- mass market game that can compete against others, would be a victory.

What we need are sequels, Shenmue 4 and 5 but before that if the entire Shenmue story which has been criticised and a "goose chase that gets nowhere" and boring, certainly in Shenmue 3 where the entire story is just a training arc. If they can mabye change some weak parts of the story and make it more exciting and sensical (I don't mean changing it drastically, giving Ryo a gun kind of thing) but less ghost hall building and more street fighting, saving nozomi kind of thing.

What do you think?

Most of you would disagree that Shenmue needs to be rebooted but imagine if it was:

Restart the story from the beginning and rebuild from scratch. Modernize wherever possible. To go back to the beginning after a long hiatus.

We are all aware of Shenmue's niche appeal and you may not care that it is not a mainstream franchise and suggest it stay that way but if something can be done by completely rebuilding Shenmue from the start that would get it to spike in popularity and become a AAA- mass market game that can compete against others, would be a victory.

What we need are sequels, Shenmue 4 and 5 but before that if the entire Shenmue story which has been criticised and a "goose chase that gets nowhere" and boring, certainly in Shenmue 3 where the entire story is just a training arc. If they can mabye change some weak parts of the story and make it more exciting and sensical (I don't mean changing it drastically, giving Ryo a gun kind of thing) but less ghost hall building and more street fighting, saving nozomi kind of thing.

What do you think?
It's an interesting question as there's so much around it that can be looked at. You've mentioned the story as one element so I'll go with that first.

In any re-boot I think the story has to be broadly the same overall but with some small changes. I know forklifting may not appeal to a newer generation so I wondered how they would help that section appeal more because the actual build to the 70 man battle is actually very good. Maybe I'd like to see a little more in terms of the real impact Ryo is having on his friends and family in Shenmue 1. Could there be fighting tournaments in Dobuita?

Shenmue 2 I'd keep the same generally. I think Ghost Hall is an interesting point. Maybe they could have a branch here that if you complete certain actions you get the elevator key, if not it's the planks for you?! The walk to Guilin should be exactly the same IMO, modernised of course, but the general feel should be the same.

We also have to be aware that as purists here some people might find any changes a little disconcerting at first, which places the potential dev team with an issue. How do they balance the hardcore fans with attracting new ones?

Systems wise maybe stamina attached to power in Ryo's moves/ability to level up and train would be good. I would want a 'Shenmue Mode' where there's no place-markers etc with an option for new players to turn on those aids as needed. Things like fast travel, waiting etc, dialogue skip would probably come in across the board.

I don't think it would work. Shenmue is just too niche and I don't know how they could realistically pull off a reboot/remake and make it still feel like Shenmue, whilst undoubtedly sacrificing an awful lot.

I wouldn't say never though. I'm just skeptical. I wouldn't entirely be opposed to a more streamlined Shenmue remade with modern graphics that condensed Shenmue 1 and 2 into one game, but made cuts and expansions/changes where necessary. Hell, if they could squeeze Shenmue 3 in, even if it's just an hour or two long and serious sacrifices were made, I'd take it. It would be cool to get people up to speed.

It would need to be done right though and without a massive budget, it wouldn't work. It needs to be cinematic and feel epic, like the originals did back in the day and that was something Shenmue 3 lacked.

It won't work. A reboot is the least thing the series need. So far every reboot in gaming series has been horrible. It has always removed the essence of the game.

A reboot would turn Shenmue into a mainstream boring open world game.

Shenmue is the antithesis of modern gaming. If you want to make the gaming appealing for the mass market it would kill Shenmue.

The old Shenmue games are perfect the way they are.

In 20 years maybe. Likely an Unreal Engine 6 fanmade in VR

I also wonder how the reboot is supposed to work? The great thing about Shenmue is hat they researched a lot. Even the weather was well researched. They tried to research even the locations. Everything is not possible anymore. They need to use modern techniques like photogrammetry to make a living world. I really wonder if there is enough of the 80s left to really make a believable 80s setting.

And bringing the game into the modern world, is the worst thing to do. A Shenmue set in the 21th century would be out of place.

I would have to say no. Given the choice of a Shenmue reboot or Shenmue IV, the latter will always take precedence. You could argue that the footage of the aborted Shenmue remake/master could've been a sign of what a reboot could be like, but I think a lot of the charm would be gone. I think it would also confuse people who are not well versed with Shenmue further.

The original game has a lot of what I call 'accidental charm', so the deadpan questions about asking for sailors, the forklift jobs etc; how would they be modernised and still feel "Shenmue" like? I think it's an impossible ask, because you could go total-meta and ruin the 'joke' or take it serious and lose the charm. The game would likely end up falling between two stools and probably alienate the fanbase further.

Then name one reboot that surpassed the original and made new and old fans happy.? Normally a reboot alienates the old fans because it is not the game any the old fans loved. But by making it more mainstream it will get new casuals. But I cannot think about a single reboot that made everyone happy.

But maybe I have just forgotten a certain game.

Last edited:
Then name one reboot that surpassed the original and made new and old fans happy.? Normally a reboot alienates the old fans because it is not the game any the old fans loved. But by making it more mainstream it will get new casuals. But I cannot think about a single reboot that made everyone happy.

Streets of Rage 4 literally came out days ago :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's technically a sequel, but whatever, in many ways it's a pure modernisation and reimagining of the originals.

The 2013 Tomb Raider series is outstanding.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is basically more of a reboot than a remake and is excellent.

Hitman 2016 onwards is objectively amazing.

Doom 2016 is phenomenal.

Wolfenstein The New Order is perfect.

Want me to continue?

There's always old fans living in the past that like to bitch. They don't have to experience reboots and remakes if they don't want to. Probably the same crowd that whine about Star Wars any opportunity they get.

The games you mention are perfect for new gamers. I know many old TR Fans that do not like the new Games that are basically Uncharted clones. FF7 Remake is great that is true, but I hated the original. It was even too childish for me even as a Child. Some fans on the other hand of the original are not that happy about it.

Hitman is not really a reboot, it uses the same gameplay mechanics as the original. Nothing to complain here.

The Wolfenstein games are good, but won't make every fan happy. For my part I prefer Return to Castle Wolfenstein over the new scenario.

But that is not the point. My point was t hat reboots will always devide the fanbase because some essential things for some fans often get removed in the reboot.

These removed features could attract some new fans though.

There is never going a reboot to please old and new fans.

But does not mean that reboots are technically bad. They are just different.

Well, hang on, you're changing the goal posts here. Your original post stated "So far every reboot in gaming series has been horrible. It has always removed the essence of the game"

Sure, it's subjective, but I don't see why it's so important things please everyone. In fact, I don't really get some fanboy bitching you get online. Don't like something? Don't play it, move on.

For the record, I grew up with Tomb Raider, loved the originals and I still loved the Uncharted clone series. I think a balance can be struck to please both old and new fans with reboots, but it definitely is tough. It takes a great skill to reboot something, improve it and respect the original source material. I refuse to believe it's impossible though.

From my point of view the statement is true. I loved the old RE Games, the first reboot with RE 4 killed the franchise for me. Was never a fan the old fast doom games. The more Half Life esque Doom 3 was more interesting for me. The new fast Doom 2016 was not my cup of tea again.

Not saying that my logic has to apply for everybody. For me every reboot in gaming was downgrade to the original experience.

But that is just me. My opinion. If other people see that different no problem.

Haha that reminds me, I LOVED Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 7 and I guess both of those were kinda reboots, particularly 7.

Fair enough, man. Different strokes and all that.

Re7 was more back to the roots. The original RE was planned as first Person game but then changed to third person thanks to technical restraints. RE 4 turned survial horror into an arcade shooter where you get money for killing the foes and you can buy your weapons instead of finding them and fight the limited ammo supply. Re 7 is a classic RE game gameplay wise just in third person.

But good point nonetheless. You can see it as a reboot as well. If that is the case i finally now a good reboot that did not kill the experience for me. :unsure:

But yeah as I said tastes are different . Was a interesting discussion. ;)

7 did go back to its roots, but in terms of the characters and story it did act as somewhat of a reboot.

But ha, there you go. You did find a reboot you liked :p

In all honesty, I am not against the idea of a modernized Shenmue reboot. In the most recent IGN Japan interview, Suzuki touched upon trying to make Shenmue have more mass appeal again. Also, I think it would help improve the consistency between the three games due to the large gap in-between them. All I would want is high production values, competent English dialogue, and the use of the Virtua Fighter V combat engine.

However, I think there are some issues that would hinder a Shenmue remake from succeeding. The first issue is that the gaming landscape has vastly changed since 1999. Shenmue stood out back then because of its uniqueness in making an open-world game with arcade-quality graphics. Nowadays, AAA open-world games are a dime a dozen.

Secondly, Shenmue was unique in 1999 for introducing many to a much less fantastical version of Asian culture. Today, Shenmue would face competition from its successor Ryu ga Gotoku. Also, Shenmue came out prior to the pre-internet era when Asian countries were considered more exotic. Though to be fair, I don't know of any other franchise that explores a more subdued version of Chinese culture. So I guess Shenmue could distinguish itself in that way.

The next issue is by making Shenmue a faster-paced game, it would really make it no different from any other. We live in an age where publishers and developers are desperately trying everything to hook people's short attention span. And unsurprisingly, this has resulted in providing players with instant gratification.

Then there are some hardcore fans who would absolutely not accept a modern take on Shenmue. To them, the Shenmue series is a timeless experience that cannot be replicated. This might cause another divide within the fanbase which is something we really don't need right now.

If a potential Shenmue remake could avoid those pitfalls or overcome them, then I would welcome the remake with open arms. As long as it remains true to Suzuki's vision of course.

Last edited:
NO, it needs a sequel.

Properties are all too quick throw in the towel in a less successful franchise, I think if anything they should have the decency to at least conclude the series they're working on - Film examples that come to mind are The Amazing Spiderman or Hellboy, Why have a reboot when fans were still waiting for a 3rd film?

In regards to Shenmue,it's too late for that now! Had it been suggested prior to the 3rd game, it make have been more plausible considering how long the property was in limbo. But now with Shenmue III released, it's laid the foundation for the continuation of this series and I am much more interested in a Sequel than starting the whole project from scratch.

Doubt a reboot will help. As unique as shenmue is, it's no longer as unique as it once was because so many other games have made many elements shenmue pioneered commonplace. And other games either do those things better or they at least appeal to gamers more. The days of using open world, realistic weather and interacting with a bunch of NPCs as the selling point in itself are over. People, specifically new fans, are going to want a reason to take control of Ryo. His lack of personality isnt going to entice newer fans to listen to him "Ryo" his way through conversation after conversation.

Also, I doubt anyone is trying to put AAA funding behind shenmue when its historically had rocky success

Back