Fishing is the best part of the game

That said, what didnt you like about it? Just curious.

I cannot speak for the other poster, but I felt like the fishing mechanics in Shenmue III were shallow. There's really no depth to the system nor did I ever feel any tension or excitement. It certainly has the scale, but it just didn't draw me in like Final Fantasy XV's system did. Which is kind of funny, because I think fishing is something that definitely fits into the aesthetic of the series.

Last edited:
I just bought Sega Bass Fishing on Steam the other day for $1. Haven't played that since the demo disc that came with my dc.

And I agree, there's a lot of things that could have been cut from the game to focus on the more important aspects.

Sega Bass Fishing is great on DC and PC but even better on Wii or PS3 Move cause you can play it with a regular controller or like you're actually fishing with the motion controls. I've yet to find any other fishing game that beats Sega Bass Fishing, even the sequel Sega Marine Fishing for DC wasn't as good.

I don't think the money spent on the fishing mini-game would have had much impact on the story telling. A combination of the mini-games/maybe removing 3 or 4 may well have done.

That said, what didnt you like about it? Just curious.

To be honest, I didn't like anything about it. I felt it plays sloppy, it feels like a chore(much like forklifts did in Shenmue 1, only in 1999 that was revolutionary for a video game, and at least it was directly tied to the story with him looking for the Mad Angels) and is by far my least favorite 'mini-game' in Shenmue 3. I could do without all of them, but most of all the fishing.

To be honest, I didn't like anything about it. I felt it plays sloppy, it feels like a chore(much like forklifts did in Shenmue 1, only in 1999 that was revolutionary for a video game, and at least it was directly tied to the story with him looking for the Mad Angels) and is by far my least favorite 'mini-game' in Shenmue 3. I could do without all of them, but most of all the fishing.
That's fair. I didn't mind the fishing overall though sometimes it got a little tedious when all you would get was little fish. Reminded me of the Yakuza 3 fishing game which was ok.

Sorry for being a little bit off-topic... but I pretty often read people claiming SEGA Bass Fishing as the absolute reference in its genre. Every time I am just like "seriously!? Have you ever played SEGA Marine Fishing, dudes?" The sequel is just far above and beyond the original game, no comparison in term of diversity and possibilities. Being able of fishing bass only made the first iteration quickly boring, despite its numerous qualities. Last but not least, those classic games have to be played on an original Dreamcast with the awesome Fishing rod Controller. 😍

Regarding fishing in Shenmue III, I also think it lacks of depth... however I only see it as a minigame among others, not a core gameplay element.

Last edited:
That's fair. I didn't mind the fishing overall though sometimes it got a little tedious when all you would get was little fish. Reminded me of the Yakuza 3 fishing game which was ok.
I never fished in Yakuza but that's only because I have nothing good to say about the Yakuza games from the time I spent with a few of them, not a fan at all of that franchise. The Shenmue 3 fishing wasn't the worst thing ever, but it wasn't enjoyable enough IMO to include it, especially on the altar of story progression.

Could the fishing be part of the works YSnet did not have the time to achieve?
QTE or freeze QTE are surprisingly lacking.

I would have traded the arcade for a deeper fishing.

Please... could you guys tell me whether or not it is possible fishing twice a day? Thank you. 🙏🏻
Yes, you can fish more than once per day. You have to go early, though. You can't rent a fishing poll after 3pm, I think. I don't remember if it was 3pm, or 5pm.

Here are my biggest catch and best total so far. Sorry for poor quality screenshots, I did it with my smartphone.

20200429_174748.jpg
20200429_183110.jpg
20200429_183157.jpg

Last edited:
Back