Funniest Moment Within The Series So Far?

For a more light hearted topic, what is the funniest moment within Shenmue that comes to mind?
For me it is always waking up in Kowloon to Cool Z's bombastic Boombox as he stares down at you nodding to the beat! Had me in hysterics on my last playthrough as I completely forgot that happens!

Last edited:
I'm torn between the Ghost Hall elevator key or the "Shut up or I'll bust yer face!" for more plot-based/theatrical humor.

As for the little, wittier moments on the side that probably depend more on one's sense of humor, I'm fond of some of the conversations you can have in the last day in Kowloon (try chatting with random people if you haven't before).

Though it's not supposed to be all that funny, the English voice actor for the "I'm just fine and dandy!" guy in Dobuita has my vote for next president. Sounds like he drank a fifth of lighter fluid.

Another that had me in stitches, and still does, is where Ryo is chasing Ren at Lucky Plaza, Ren throws somethign down the stairs at Ryo and Ryo shouts 'I don't appreciate this'. Made me laugh so much back on the dreamcast.

Yamagishi-san when he says: "that driver was insane."View attachment 3817

lol never heard the bust yer face before!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Never played II in English...

For me, its either Wang's VA in English (only because I've been exposed to it) or these two:

I'll slap ya silly ya pansy is the one.

MUCH better in Japanese. About Crows :D

And wow, Kelso's voice is soooooo Iron Chef in this scene.

The Climb up to Zhu in Shenmue II....after going across all those planks and getting to the very top floor, here comes Ren in a bloody elevator...that cold "really?" glare that Ryo gives Ren was always funny to me.

The interaction with Ren including Ryo’s expression when reaching the top of Ghost Hall building, never fails not to crack me up. However most unintentionally hilarious moment for me thanks to the atrocious voice-acting has to be Wang’s brother-

When Guizhang is like "those dirty bastards!" When talking about the Mad Angels.
Cracks me up the way he drops it Lol.

I think it's the only swear word in the game

@5:14

Last edited:
The Mad Angels call Ryo a "little shit" a number of times in the game too.

The Mad Angels call Ryo a "little shit" a number of times in the game too.
Tangentially related, one of the bikers in Dobuita says "Are you fronting with me?" to Ryo when spoken to. Am I the only one to think it sounds like it was to replace/cover up an f-bomb? It sounds more like he's saying 'fuh'in' instead of 'fronting'.

I'd say the duck. Starting from the sound of it falling down the tree to its ass-kicking attitude of course, it is clear this was made with the intention of being as funny as can be and it really hits the mark because it is so over the top.

Other things like Delin's plunge or Ryo's death stare in front of Zhu's office are also great moments, of course.
I prefer the alternate scene with the cell escape where the guard says "they're not there, they escaped", wich doesn't sound as funny as the regular English cutscene but is funnier in content becaue the guy is just so dumb.

Speaking of the English Shenmue II dub, there is still this gem:

Thinking about things, Shenmue II seems to have a lot more light hearted and humorous moment than the first game.
I mean of course there are Goro and Fuku-san's stupidity but they are quite a bit more in your face than all of the chuckles you get from stuff that Ren does or the things that happen around him.

The interaction with Ren including Ryo’s expression when reaching the top of Ghost Hall building, never fails not to crack me up. However most unintentionally hilarious moment for me thanks to the atrocious voice-acting has to be Wang’s brother-

Hahaha, this is great, but at least he pronounces Yokosuka correctly, unlike Ryo :p

I've never played the English dub so it's my first time hearing that "Shut up or I'll bust your face", amazing.

But yeah, Ghost Hall building lift scene for me.

Speaking of the English Shenmue II dub, there is still this gem:

Oh God, BM, that was amazing!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:?????

It just escalates out of nowhere and for no reason and then Corey's, "I see!" sounds so much more affirmative and straight, for no reason either! ??

I need to scour your videos again for more goodies like this and I always loved the random dialogue vids; lots of humour in there!

For some reason one particular part of the Yellow Head Building always cracks me up - Don Nui is chasing Ryo and Ren, there's a QTE event to cross some planks of wood over a huge hole, after you successfully cross Ren kicks the planks away so Don Nui can't cross... as if a guy that large would manage to cross them anyway!

Also, some of Tom's lines in Shenmue 1 *dub are great. When your looking for Heartbeats Bar, if you ask him he complains about how he can't afford to drink. Ask him about Chinese people the second time your looking for someone (I think its to read the letter?) he exclaims "What? Your looking for Chinese people AGAIN?!". Just the delivery of the tine always cracked me up. I miss Tom...

Back