Games You Like if You Like Shenmue

Snatcher is a favorite of mine, but it doesn't have the proto-open-world and the real time feel Shenmue has. Mizzurna Falls in particular checklists almost all the elements Shenmue got, even stuff like QTEs and a routine for all its npcs.

Yes only the adventure element can be compared to certain degree with Shenmue but not that much. it is quite hard to find games that have all elements of the Shenmue series included in one game. Finding games that are similar to Shenmue in the adventure/exploring segments of the game is easier. But even the adventure elements are more fledged out in Shenmeu than in the classic adventures. The love for detail in Shenmue is awesome.

Has anyone played Lake? I'd recommend it to Shenmue fans, it's so chill and - just like Shenmue - it moves at its own pace. It even takes place in 1986 and has you taking a cat to get checked up :laughing:

Last edited:
Has anyone played Lake? I'd recommend it to Shenmue fans, it's so chill and - just like Shenmue - it moves at its own pace. It even takes place in 1986 and has you taking a cat to get checked up :laughing:

I'm planning to play this with my £1 Game Pass membership - it looks very pleasant!

I've also recently started making Videos for Shadow of Memories - Inventory walkthroughs on how to find & use Items. Also, how to find lesser known scenes in the game!

It's little moments like these which also remind me of Shenmue - discovering little scenes which add more depth to the NPC's of the area - I love this game!

I know it has been said a lot and some people do not agree. But last week I played and completed for the first time "Deadly Premonition" and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It takes some patience and you have to forgive lots of flaws, but it's a very unique game with some similarities to "Shenmue" regarding in-game clock, NPC schedules and a down-to-earth real living small town feel. It's not for everybody, that's for sure, but also, "Shenmue" is not for everybody either ;).

Last edited:
I love Shenmue 1+2, they're definitely tied together in my Top 3 games ever. If I think about what other game impacted me the same way in the "feels" department.. and I played a lot of them.. there're only several thoughts in my mind. First is The Last Guardian. the only gave that had me literally crying in tears by the end of it like a baby. nothing else came close regarding the emotional investment. Shenmue 1 had me shed a tear or two back in the day when I first played it. But Last Guardian can do it just about every time, it's so expertly crafted to hit on your soul strings.

The other game is probably Panzer Dragoon Saga. I played that one not too long ago for the first time so I didn't have any nostalgia googles for it. It's got that classic handcrafted Sega feel to it like Shenmue does. It's got a fair bit of exploration and talking to people too. It's got the same sad underlying atmosphere to it. And the music is outstanding.

Last edited:
Back