Games You Like if You Like Shenmue

This question is from an honest place and not meant to be disrespectful but how/why do you feel a Shenmue vibe from Heavy Rain?

HR, to me, could be simplified to "QTE: The Movie" I respect the fact both Shenmue and HR have QTE's in them however Resident Evil 4 has QTE's in some of the cutscenes. Why isn't that similar to Shenmue? (Do folks think that RE5 has Shenmue vibes? Out of interest)

Shenmue pretty much shaped a generation. I think that's a big takeaway from this thread lol.

This question is from an honest place and not meant to be disrespectful but how/why do you feel a Shenmue vibe from Heavy Rain?

HR, to me, could be simplified to "QTE: The Movie" I respect the fact both Shenmue and HR have QTE's in them however Resident Evil 4 has QTE's in some of the cutscenes. Why isn't that similar to Shenmue? (Do folks think that RE5 has Shenmue vibes? Out of interest)

Shenmue pretty much shaped a generation. I think that's a big takeaway from this thread lol.
Erm, nothing in relation to the QTE's tbh... More the atmosphere- there's an underlying sadness HR and coupled with the detective work that reminded me of Shenmue I guess...

I actually have seen the comparison made for a number of years now; MANY people find similarities with the two, if even due to QTEs.

I think the slow paced detective work and exploring for clues in Heavy Rain does feel a bit like Shenmue. More so than just the fact it has QTEs.

I add that Heavy Rain gave you the F.R.E.E. fest you may have in the Hazuki's residence by being able to interact with pretty everything just for the sake of it.

The reason I question this HR comparison is because to me, if you boil HR down to core mechanics, is just a series of limited interaction events. Occasionally with manual walking, occasionally not.

I get there's a 'feeling' of Shenmue in there. I guess I'm blind do it.

Don't misunderstand: I love HR with all my heart. The differences we feel here intrigue me though.

Erm, nothing in relation to the QTE's tbh... More the atmosphere- there's an underlying sadness HR and coupled with the detective work that reminded me of Shenmue I guess...
This. Totally agree

Sleeping Dogs would be the best option, one of my favorite game and there are also many games like Sleeping Dogs which are more interesting you can check them here

Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row type games dont come off as shenmue like aside from being open world and maybe hand to hand combat

My other fav games are :

Sleeping Dogs
Triad Wars
Yakuza
Saints Row

these all have some similarities to Shenmue.

Any other game recommendations from people ?
same as you but i love bully (canis canem edit) too

Mass effect series
The witcher 3
And probably RDR 2 (when I finish it)

I recommend:

- Final Fantasy XV, the road trip with the friends and the story is awesome (preferably watch and play all the media, is easy). The travel sensations is one of the best I did see with Shenmue.
- All the Watch Dogs games, every one different from the other, but all with livelys open worlds, great stories and characters and much originality.
- Road 96. Another travel game with various paths. One of the best games of this year to me.

Last edited:
- Road 96. Another travel game with various paths. One of the best games of this year to me.
I'm looking for this one! I'm waiting for a sale, caught my attention in the previous months before came out.

In a manner of speaking outcast the orginal would also fit the bill. I have just played the original so I cannot see how close the remaster or remake is to the orginal.

The open world of Outcast is more organic than your average open world game. You really have to study lore of the world to understand and progress in the story. It is way more action based than shenmue of course and the similarities are superficial at best but the different aproach compared to other games to the concept of open world might make the game interesting for the Shenmue Fanbase.

ps: Sleeping dogs sounds interesting. Would you guys recommend the game?

ps: Sleeping dogs sounds interesting. Would you guys recommend the game?
Yes, though personally wouldn't compare it to Shenmue besides the fact it takes place in Hong Kong and has melee combat. Very fun open world game from the PS3/360 era though.

Thanks for the info. The footage I have seen looks quite good and I think the definite edition for that game on pc looks a bit above your average ps3/360 game. Not exactly ps4/xbox one gen but still good enough for me. It also does not look like Shenmue to me besides the Hong Kong Setting but I likethe primise of the game and setting so it might be something for me.

While not identical to Shenmue, some of these scratched that Shenmue itch to me thanks to the nature of the NPCs, small details in the world, slice of life/mundane moments or some investigative elements (not all of them had all these elements, tho).

-Deadly Premonition (NPCs with schedule, detailed world and time sensitive events, plenty of slice of life/mundane moments, emotional story)
-Earthbound (chilling through towns, going to shoppings and arcades, engaging against shady organizations/dark side of the world)
-Mother 3 (small, detailed world full of unique NPCs, detailed world, plenty of slice of life/mundane moments and emotional story)
-Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (small town, totally gives me Bailu Village vibes, totally slice of life)
-Okami (NPCs with schedule, detailed world and time sensitive events, emotional story)
-TLoZ: Majora's Mask (NPCs with schedule, detailed world and time sensitive events, plenty of touching moments)
-TLoZ: The Wind Waker (similar reasons, although Majora is more complex)
-TLoZ: Skyward Sword (similar reasons, although Majora is still more complex, plenty of touching moments)
-Professor Layton series (investigative nature, plenty of slice of life/mundane moments and rich NPCs)
-Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series (investigative nature, plenty of slice of life/mundane moments and rich NPCs)
-Kingdom Come: Deliverance (NPCs with schedule, detailed world and time sensitive events)
-Rune Factory series (NPCs with schedule, detailed world and time sensitive events, slice of life in game form)

Last edited:
I haven't seen these being mentioned before and they are very similar to Shenmue, meaning they belong to the same genre and share similar mechanics like real time:

Mizzurna Falls (PS1)

Blade Runner (PC)

Last edited:
Never heard about Mizzurna Falls though but the game looks interesting.

Blade Runner is great game. ony of the best movie games even today although it came many years after the film it is based on.

If we are talking about point and click adventures I would also say that Snatcher has certain element of Shenmue. Using the phone to call people and talk about personal stuff.

Back